Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
Inflatable Kayak - recomendations?

Anyone had any experience with these kayaks (SOLSTICE Trekker Inflatable Paddling Kayak)?
They are sold at WM.

Video
YouTube - Solstice Trekker Inflatable Kayak

My wife is not a good swimmer, or does not swim I should say. We are looking for a way to get around the anchorage without using the dingy. We thought about paddle board but it will not work for her. She and I would like to kayak. The kayak would need to be stable and she likes to sit inside not on top. We have done a little kayaking and we took lesions at the local aquatic center. She fell over on the Kayak and did not like sitting on top. Storable on our sail boat is as must and this seems like a good solution the inflatable kind. Also it is soft for my wife so if she slips she will not get hurt. Also we do not want to store it on the rail.

Thanks,
Chip
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
I use an Advanced Elements 'high performance' kayak --- 'hard edge' ends.
Been using it for several years and the only fault of this design is the somewhat small 'inside clearance' for my BIG feet. My wife (with smaller feet) uses it more regularly than I. This is our choice for taking along for long distance cruising -- quite a relatively small package but is tied to the foredeck.
Inflatable Kayaks | AdvancedFrame Kayak
Available from many online sources.
We give this kayak a LOT of hard use and when this one 'wears out' still waiting will probably replace with their 13ft. long "Expedition" version.

Inflatable Kayaks | AdvancedFrame Kayak, etc.

Last edited by RichH; 02-28-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As an aside, last year we bought some solar shower bags from Advanced Elements - vastly superior to the standard fare found at the local chandlery. So I'd expect their kayaks to be similarly superior to other brands.

A shame you're not keen to carry on deck.. the difference in speed, effort, comfort and performance between the inflatables and the plastic rigid kayaks is considerable. We went on a group paddle recently, when a friend, accustomed to hard kayaks, used a (Stearns?) inflatable single. He's very fit and was 'bagged' half way through our relatively short spuddle compared to those of use (mostly less fit) in the rigid boats.

But they do serve their purpose and we see a lot of them out there too.

Is that a Gulfstar 37? Plenty of space for a little 10 footer or two there!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 02-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-28-2011

SanDiegoChip is on a distinguished road
One reason for the inflatable is my wife is not real Shure footed on a tippy kayak. She may fall and this way she has something to land on that is not hard. Also I feel it may be more stable and less tippy for her. She is a trooper to be doing this and any help I can give to help the fun keep her along then let’s do it. I like the idea of storing it away when not in use rather than have it on deck or along the rail.
We have a 36’ Islander Freeport. We will be just a paddling around the anchorage or a short trip to the beach or another fun option. If the anchorage is too big we would use the dingy.
I am glad they make a good product as it seems this would be a good kayak for us.
We are still thinking about it. A dock mate has the hard plastic kind on his 34 Catalina and they love them. There are plenty for sale for not much money also. We think though that this is a better option for us.
We also have some friends on a Catalina 34 that have the inflatable type but am not sure what brand. They seemed to like them when we asked a year or two ago.

Chip
Old 02-28-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
As an aside, last year we bought some solar shower bags from Advanced Elements - vastly superior to the standard fare found at the local chandlery. So I'd expect their kayaks to be similarly superior to other brands.

A shame you're not keen to carry on deck.. the difference in speed, effort, comfort and performance between the inflatables and the plastic rigid kayaks is considerable. We went on a group paddle recently, when a friend, accustomed to hard kayaks, used a (Stearns?) inflatable single. He's very fit and was 'bagged' half way through our relatively short spuddle compared to those of use (mostly less fit) in the rigid boats.

But they do serve their purpose and we see a lot of them out there too.

Is that a Gulfstar 37? Plenty of space for a little 10 footer or two there!
Must say I like the look of those AE kayaks. Seems to me they somewhat bridge the gap between inflatable and rigid.

Jeff_H...if you see this, what do you have on board Synergy ? I know you are a keen kayaker.

Oh yes and sorry about the OT...but Fast, what size shower did you buy and for how many people ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 02-28-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Oh yes and sorry about the OT...but Fast, what size shower did you buy and for how many people ?
We bought the mid sized one.. 19 litres, I believe. We can probably get half a dozen after-swim rinses or half that many soap-and-shampoo sessions out of it. We carry two of them, usually goes a week unless we swim every day.

The third one on this page:

Inflatable Kayaks | Summer Shower | Hot Water At Your Convenience

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 02-28-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
look at the Sevlor Colorado kayak/canoe models. I have the single and like it in smooth water, it paddles easy and moves right along, and was very reasonably priced.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 03-01-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
My concern for any inflatable is abrasion. The bottom of my rigid kayak is pretty roughed up, as one is tempted to knock around in shallows or beach it to exit/enter.

Your wife is a real trooper to be willing to kayak if she can't swim, particularly with the risk of a puncture.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My concern for any inflatable is abrasion. The bottom of my rigid kayak is pretty roughed up, as one is tempted to knock around in shallows or beach it to exit/enter.

Your wife is a real trooper to be willing to kayak if she can't swim, particularly with the risk of a puncture.

Absolutely re the abrasion but not all of us have the stowage capacity of a 54'er.....

No doubt my preference would be rigid but there is no way I am ever going to have something big enough to stow a couple of three metre odd kayaks on deck.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-01-2011
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Absolutely re the abrasion but not all of us have the stowage capacity of a 54'er.....

No doubt my preference would be rigid but there is no way I am ever going to have something big enough to stow a couple of three metre odd kayaks on deck.
td... we have no more deckspace than you and we carry two 9.5' kayaks all summer long. With jib RF there's little enough need to go forward and we really don't have an issue. Prior to RF we lashed them outside the lifelines aft, now with RF we stow them amidships on deck, lashed to the lifelines/towrail.

As seen here: