Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-28-2011

scottyt is on a distinguished road
paint useage ?

okay give me some numbers on how much paint you used. what i need to do is boot stripes in blue. also i want to paint the top sides boat is 27 long and 9.3 wide.

will the little half pint of bright sides do a boot stripe 6 inches by 27 feet or will i need more? ( well actually 4, two per side water line and toe rail )
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-28-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A quart of paint typically covers 100 sq ft. A half-pint will probably cover about 20 sq. ft, since you lose more to the container on smaller containers of paint. 4" x 27' is about 9 sq. ft. YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-01-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"to paint the top sides "
Then you'll need to measure the freeboard. Figure 30' times the freeboard height times two sides, for the amount of coverage you'll need.
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"to paint the top sides "
Then you'll need to measure the freeboard. Figure 30' times the freeboard height times two sides, for the amount of coverage you'll need.
I think the OP's main concern is whether the half-pint would do the boot and cove stripes on the boat... or that is at least how I read it... and I think, if he's careful, he can probably do the boot and cove stripes with two coats using a half-pint of paint.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-01-2011

yes and no SD, yes i wanted to know if the half pint can, can do the stripes. and i stated wrong, by topside i meant the deck, should have said the deck

i also want to paint the deck, which i figure is about 200 to 250 square feet if i include the non skid and vertical parts of the cockpit.
Old 03-01-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
If you are going to paint the deck with brightsides, be prepared to repaint every two or three years, even with excellent prep.

I use brightsides on my deck because I am cheap and can accept a good enough finish, but if you want a quality finish to be proud of then do the best prep possible including removing all fittings and use a two part epoxy.
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
yes and no SD, yes i wanted to know if the half pint can, can do the stripes. and i stated wrong, by topside i meant the deck, should have said the deck

i also want to paint the deck, which i figure is about 200 to 250 square feet if i include the non skid and vertical parts of the cockpit.
If you're painting the deck, cabintop and cockpit, what I would recommend is removing as much of the hardware as you can. Mask off the non-skid areas cutting into the non-skid area by about two inches, and then paint the "smooth" areas with whatever paint you are planning to use. Then mask off the "smooth" areas and paint the non-skid areas with something like DURABAK or KIWIGRIP. This will minimize the amount of paint you need and give you a very good non-skid surface.

On any paint job, 95% of the work is in the preparation, and that will make or break the paint job. Even an expensive two-part LPU paint won't last very long or look very good unless the prep was done properly.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-01-2011

i do know prep is the key.

i was planning on using perfection on the deck, and brightsides for the stripes. i understand the non skid issues with painting and have a plan for that.

my plan is to do the non skid areas with mixed paint and grip, then spray the whole deck.

i know there are other ways like paint then nonskid with other products.
Old 03-01-2011
Telstar 28

Be careful if you're spraying a two-part paint. Most of them are pretty toxic and you need to have the right respirator gear to do it safely.

Telstar 28
New England