Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2003

nauticalrich is on a distinguished road
Hell fittings?

Maybe I said that wrong. Somewhere this topic had to be discussed.

On my 1985 31 O''Day of which I just purchased, I have noticed several screws holding down the hatch, windows and hatch rails have been stripped. No way to tighten them down. There is no protruding screws through to the cabin so no nuts to tighten.

Does anyone know of an easy fix? In other words, I would rather not take the hatch etc off. Is there something that you can inject or force down into the plastic area or hole that would then hold the screw?

Is there somekind of backing inbetween the cabin top and deck?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Hell fittings?

Nauticalrich,

I haven''t had an issue with loose screws (besides myself ;^) on my boat, but I have used a product under similar circumstances and it might work for your application. It''s called "Repair Putty - Multi-purpose epoxy stick." It''s manufactured by a company called " New Pig." www.newpig.com. No, I didn''t dream this...it''s for real. I keep a tube of this putty on my boat and have used it for a multitude of purposes. It''s pliable putty while in the tube, but once you knead it and put it into an opening, it sets up as hard as a rock. You can even drill and tap it! It can be used on metal,wood,glass,concrete,ceramics,and plastics. I''m not familiar with the construction of O''Days, but if your boat doesn''t have an iterior fiberglass liner, you might want to drill holes all the way through on some of the items and install backing plates. Of course you''ll need to fill these holes with sealant before putting a bolt through them. If your boat does have a liner, or if the deck is faily thick, you could stuff some of this "Pig Putty" in them and then simply drill a starter hole,then reinstall your screws. I hope this is of some help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook