Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-02-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
FW Pump, Rebuild?

I just replaced a Peters and Russell diaphram pump for pressure water with the spare, a Jabsco 36800-1000. I now have two nonworking PAR diaphram pumps. Rebuild kits are about $80. Inexpensive impeller pumps are little more. Rebiuild the old? Are the cheap new ones any good?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
I've had my Shurflo 3 gpm pump go bad after only 3 years (bought the boat new). The pump new can be found for as little as $110...the valve thats gone bad is $40 and no gaurantee....so that goes to show you what new stuff is worth nowadays.

I think the rule of thumb is that if you can rebuild for less than 50% of replacement of the EXACT same part (not a inferior substitute), then the rebuild makes sense. Otherwise, replace.
Old 03-02-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Keep the old PAR pumps and re-build them. They'll be a lot better than a lot of the new ones...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-02-2011
AstroCodger

MaineFloat is on a distinguished road
Re-build the old. The new stuff isn't all that great.
Old 03-02-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
If you can get the rebuild kits to work.
I may be a complete moron with 10 thumbs but I went through 2 Jabsco 36800-1000 or similar model diaphragm pumps and 2 rebuild kits for each one without being able to revive either of them. This pump was installed as the bilge pump on our boat when we got it.
After 2 Jabsco units I'm now using a cheaper Rule pump that can be replaced for around $50 when it dies.
The PAR units may be better made and easier to repair then the regular Jabsco line as SD suggests.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-03-2011

All good input, thanks.
I'm grateful to the original owner (now across the bar) for leaving me the replacement pump. Prices run over $300.
Old 03-03-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Not having purchased a "kit" but only specific parts as necessary, I don't know whether the Kit includes a replacement Pulse Damper but, if not, it should. We also have two of these pumps and I have found that the deterioration of the Pulse Dampers and releated seepage around the seal of the base plate can be an issue. I have also found that replacing the 40PSI pressure switch with the 20PSI switch can make a difference in the endurance of the pump and pressure switches without an appreciable impact on the pump's performance or delivery at the fixtures.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-03-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
All good input, thanks.
I'm grateful to the original owner (now across the bar) for leaving me the replacement pump. Prices run over $300.
In that case, definitely re-build.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2011

HyLyte, thanks for that bit of info. The pump was banging before it failed, probably indicating the pulse damper was bad. I'll take them apart some time.
Old 08-05-2013

MHRitter is on a distinguished road
Re: FW Pump, Rebuild?

I put Jabsco PAR 36800-1000 (3.3GPM 20-40 psi) together three times, but these last two times I could not get the center screw of the 9 screw bottom plate to get to the threads as if the center screw should be an 1/8 inch longer. I tried the 10-20 psi switch and most of the time it just would not turn on until I tapped it with a screw driver handle and the 20psi was never enough to get the sprayer to engage. Glad I saved both the large and small Pulsation Dampeners cause the new ones failed in short order .
[/FONT]
[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'] [/FONT]show you how[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif'].[/FONT]

Last edited by MHRitter; 08-05-2013 at 10:48 PM.