Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-09-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
5/8 of an inch is snug. I'm guessing 9/16 would be about right. Edit: Just read a post that referred to the old Lewmar's being 5/8, so maybe 5/8 would work. My calipers read 5/8, and are able to move up and down in the hole. I thought the extra material of the shank might require 1/16 clearance, but maybe not.
My winch handle measures .660" from flat to flat, so I'm guessing that it is the right size as it fit loose in my standard winches. I more precise measurement would be better to ensure proper fit. I'll remeasure mine in the morning to be sure, now that we seem close.
Kary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
For what it is worth, those old Lewmars used handles with square drives and not a star pattern. (I have a few left on my boat) It would be pretty easy to buy the right square barstock and some flat stock and make bronze handles for those winches. It is basically a weekend job with the right tools and a little skill.Jeff
So the original handles were Bronze? I'm having some handles made, and the machinist wants to know what to make the shank (male part) out of, so it doesn't abrade the winch. It's a pain to take a winch off the boat to show him. Anyone know what the female part (star pattern) of the old Lewmars were made of? I wonder why the handles are now made of aluminum, Cost?
Old 04-19-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I only suggested bronze since it is relatively easy for an amatuer to work with and it was the material of choice before the 1970's. Aluminum was used because it was cheaper and made a lighter winch handle.

Efforts to lighten winch handle weight has always struck me as a little odd since it did not seem like weight was all that significant, but there has always been a pattern toward reducing winch handle weight which is why the cross section of a winch handle is often a channel, there was a period when bronze winch handles had lightening holes, and you now see carbon fiber winch handles.

As to the square drive, it was often made of monel or stainless steel. These are generally harder materials than bronze. That said, I have used winch handles which were cast aluminum (including the drive which in that case was the star pattern) and winch handles which were all bronze including the square drive.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-19-2011

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
OK, we can make these if there is a need. I'd suggest a square drive made from SS attached to a body of G10 composite for weight. Use ceramic bearings in the handle or maybe just a teflon bushing.
Of course, it needs a locking mechanism too.
Old 04-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Efforts to lighten winch handle weight has always struck me as a little odd since it did not seem like weight was all that significant, but there has always been a pattern toward reducing winch handle weight which is why the cross section of a winch handle is often a channel, there was a period when bronze winch handles had lightening holes, and you now see carbon fiber winch handles.
Jeff
Thanks Jeff. As I assume you know better than me, in any type of racing weight is the Anti Christ, often to the point of obsession! I use to race bicycles and would watch people spend lots of time and money eliminating a few grams from the bike, while I was certain the same investment in improving their riding skills and/or conditioning would have been far more effective. I don't race my boat in any thing more serious than a Beer Can, but if I did, the most weight I would need to eliminate is off me, thereby helping me and the boat! I'm in world class form as rail meat though (just in case Larry Ellison is reading the thread)! So...the weight of the winch handle is the least of my worries! Thanks again!

Last edited by L124C; 04-20-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2013

mechengr is on a distinguished road
Re: Old Lewmar Winch Handle Replacement

I realize this post is a couple of years old, but like a the original post indicated I to am stuck with old style 5/8 inch Lewmar winches. I'm new to sailing so any advice would be great.
Old 07-20-2013

windarra44 is on a distinguished road

You might want to also try HUTTON-ARCO Australia www.huttonwinches dot com. They bought out old inventory and manufacture parts for discontinued Barlow/Barient winches and list Lewmar. I have 8 winches on my boat, a mix of Barient and Lewmar, they've been very helpful.

Good luck.

“I could tell my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.”

Rodney Dangerfield
Old 07-20-2013

mechengr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the prompt response. Looks as though they will be able to help.
Old 07-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechengr View Post
I realize this post is a couple of years old, but like a the original post indicated I to am stuck with old style 5/8 inch Lewmar winches. I'm new to sailing so any advice would be great.
If you look at the OP, I've added a edit that provides a link to a company that makes replacement handles with a star or square spline pattern.
As I often say, when it comes to sailing, there are few "stale" threads. After all, my OP is certainly newer than the winches you are trying to find handles for! I found the company (actually, they found me) through another related "stale" thread.