Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-03-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Winch Handle Replacement for Lewmar 25 and Lewmar 7

Edit July 2013: Bought stainless replacement handles with a star spline from auclairnautic. Pricey (about $150 each, including shipping from Spain) but well worth it! The same handle fits my Lewmar 25's and 7. They make handles for almost any old winch
auclairnautic.com
I'm considering having handles fabricated for my older Lewmar winches (probably from the 70's), and want to know if there is any interest out there for copies. The star pattern is smaller than on the more recent winches. I've been "modifying" newer handles to work, but would like to have proper handles. Modifying is putting it nicely. I grind the star tang into a square which works (but not really)! I found one company in England that said they had replacement handles, but it turns out they are doing exactly what I am (modifying). A very rough estimate of cost on small batches is $60 per handle which is comparable to good quality Lewmar handles. One of the winches is shown below. I also have one for the halyard that I think is a "Lewmar 12". For identification, the distance between adjacent star points is about 6.5mm. If anyone is interested in getting handles, let me know. Also, if anyone knows where to get legitimate replacement handles, let me know, as it would be a lot less work on my part!
Attached Thumbnails
Old Lewmar Winch Handle Replacement-0303110837.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 07-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2011

mike dryver is on a distinguished road
contact Jon @ 617-719-8232 Continental Marine in Quincy Mass. i was there this morn and i'm pretty sure i saw handles to match in one of the drawers in one of the containers he has on sight. i know i saw a bunch of square bottoms with Lewmar name on them, and some with the locks on top he ha both bronze and alum. if/when you call leave message and he will return call. just takes a while and he usually knows what he has. this is a father son gig and just started posting on Craigs list (just phone and listing. they have been stripping boats for about 5 yrs and are now starting to move stuff more readily from what i can gather because they now have enough supply tell him Mike told you call. no i don't get anything out of this just trying to hook you both up

Last edited by mike dryver; 03-04-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-04-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
For what it is worth, those old Lewmars used handles with square drives and not a star pattern. (I have a few left on my boat) It would be pretty easy to buy the right square barstock and some flat stock and make bronze handles for those winches. It is basically a weekend job with the right tools and a little skill.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 03-05-2011

You just blew my mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
For what it is worth, those old Lewmars used handles with square drives and not a star pattern. (I have a few left on my boat) It would be pretty easy to buy the right square barstock and some flat stock and make bronze handles for those winches. It is basically a weekend job with the right tools and a little skill. Jeff
It's worth a LOT! Thats amazing, and difficult to understand. I wonder why they made the winches in a star pattern to begin with? Doesn't seem like it makes it any easier to get a square shaft into a star pattern, a very subtle rotation of the wrist, not withstanding. However, it certainly is more complicated to manufacture. And...did the guys at Lewmar suddenly say, "well, we've got this star pattern, we might as well fill it. But let's make it a little bigger so we have two different handles for our winches". I'd love to hear the logic! On the other hand, the old winches all still work great (though I obviously prefer my 2 speed self tailer's), so they made a good winch. Do you have a picture of the handle? I'd like to see it.
Thanks!

Last edited by L124C; 03-05-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dryver View Post
contact Jon @ 617-719-8232 Continental Marine in Quincy Mass. i was there this morn and i'm pretty sure i saw handles to match in one of the drawers in one of the containers he has on sight. i know i saw a bunch of square bottoms with Lewmar name on them, and some with the locks on top he ha both bronze and alum. if/when you call leave message and he will return call. just takes a while and he usually knows what he has. this is a father son gig and just started posting on Craigs list (just phone and listing. they have been stripping boats for about 5 yrs and are now starting to move stuff more readily from what i can gather because they now have enough supply tell him Mike told you call. no i don't get anything out of this just trying to hook you both up
Thanks Mike. After reading Jeff's post your's makes sense. I couldn't figure out what "square bottom" you were talking about! A square shaft in a star shaped hole....Who woulda thunk!
I'll give him a call.
Old 03-05-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
The reason for the square handle in the star hole is simple. When trying to drop the handle in you only have to turn it a maximum of 22.5 degrees for it to drop in. With a square hole it would take 45 degrees and would be amazingly harder to do with one hand.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 03-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
The reason for the square handle in the star hole is simple. When trying to drop the handle in you only have to turn it a maximum of 22.5 degrees for it to drop in. With a square hole it would take 45 degrees and would be amazingly harder to do with one hand.Gary H. Lucas
Certainly more convenient, I don't no about "amazingly harder". On the other hand, all of the load is distributed amongst the four slots the square shank is in. In retrospect the splined handle pattern seems obvious, as it addresses both issues. It's interesting that Lewmar not only changed to the spline (which I assume would have made it stronger), but made it larger altogether. I'm assuming Lewmar's newer small winches use the larger pattern, as I can't get smaller splined handles.

Last edited by L124C; 03-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
For what it is worth, those old Lewmars used handles with square drives and not a star pattern. (I have a few left on my boat) It would be pretty easy to buy the right square barstock and some flat stock and make bronze handles for those winches. It is basically a weekend job with the right tools and a little skill.
Jeff
All the handles I have (including some expensive ones) are Aluminum. What are the advantages to Bronze? Called the guys back east. They never got back to me. Think I'll just have some square shank handles fabricated. So..Bronze or Aluminum?
Old 03-08-2011

75R20 is on a distinguished road
If you post up a measurement, I think I have one available....Seemed loose in one of my Barbarossa winches when I checked the ratios eariler today.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 03-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75R20 View Post
If you post up a measurement, I think I have one available....Seemed loose in one of my Barbarossa winches when I checked the ratios earlier today.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
5/8 of an inch is snug. I'm guessing 9/16 would be about right. Edit: Just read a post that referred to the old Lewmar's being 5/8, so maybe 5/8 would work. My calipers read 5/8, and are able to move up and down in the hole. I thought the extra material of the shank might require 1/16 clearance, but maybe not.

Last edited by L124C; 03-09-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.