Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2011

Wallilabu is on a distinguished road
Off center...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Please consider this before you move the motor mount. One of the big problems with outboards on the stern is that the motor is placed far back and as the boat pitches up and down in any significant chop, the engine will pop out of the water and you loose propulsion. In your situation, the motor is mounted relatively far forward and deep, so you should get the best propulsion forward in this position. Backing control, especially turning might improve a little by moving the engine further back so as to get a little more leverage, but if you are trying to back in a chop and the engine is popping out of the water more, you'll probably have a net loss.

When sailing, if the engine is in the water, and you leave the engine in neutral so the propeller can spin freely, and as long as the engine is placed on the boat's center line and not turned away from the centerline (acting like an supplemental rudder), I would not expect that you would get any difference in weather helm due to the engine. But if you were off center on the mount just a little, or the engine was turned away from center line, or the prop was locked in gear (the shape of the prop when not turning might also act as a supplemental rudder, requiring more tiller force to offset), then you could get weather helm. Some might say letting the prop spin freely is hard on the gearing....perhaps so, but Yanmar has sent out a bulletin on my engine saying that it's better to let the prop free wheel, otherwise there might be some transmission damage resulting when in gear while sailing with engine not running.
Thanks, NCC320. As you can see, the position of the cutout for the motor is slightly off center, so the motor is necessarily mounted a bit off center.

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...87829281887074

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...07252596697266

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...07247976402370

AS you suggest, this does likely cause the 'supplemental rudder effect, both by sticking the shaft down into the water and by disrupting the laminar flow over the rudder, especially at low boat speed in light air (when it is most noticable).

As I listen to my 'advisers' here, I'm inclined to see if I can mount th motor any closer to the centerline, possible change the prop, and perhaps most importantly, go out a practice, practice and practice some more on backing the boat. Obviously she does better with some way on. Besides, mostly I just sail in and out of the slip anyway, but I am most concerned about heading into strange harbors and anchorages under power where the maneuverability may be limited. Chicken, I guess...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
George,
Got your PM, you are welcome. From looking at the pictures
I doubt that the amount of offset would cause any noticeable effect if in neutral. I don't think an outboard gearbox will be harmed by
letting the prop spin, no pumps or anything and running in a
constant oil supply? Super restoration job, massive amount of work!!

Congratulations, Dabnis
Old 03-05-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Other than it being a bit off center, which may or may nor make a bog difference, I would leave it as it is. Previous posters are right, why spoil the boat's good looks with an outboard hanging off the transom?

As far as reverse, nobody is real pleased with the performance of their boat in reverse. Whether they have a fin keel and separate rudder or a full keel it is still problematic. I live aboard at a hotel/marina and we get to see a real mix here when the warmer weather comes. Everything from the powerboat with twin engines and a bow thruster that has problems to the sailboat owner that has difficulty backing up predictably. From my experience (8 boats over a 40 year period) and what I have seen others do either successfully or otherwise I suggest this.

Practice backing up away from the docks, at low speed and with more throttle. Find out what your boat will do in reverse. Many owners are throttle shy and you can't expect the rudder to have much effect until the boat is moving enough to give good water flow over the rudder. Many long keel boats will only back up pulling to one side or the other. This is common to many boats of all sizes. Probally more common on long keel boats like yours, Alberg 30's and the like. If reversing is predictable, pulling the stern in one direction consistently, use it to your advantage. In circumstances where the pull is the wrong way, reverse and kick the stern around by moving forward with authority and repeating it if necessary. Remember this is a common problem, the design treatise of most boats is to move forward. not back.

Last year I was doing some electrical work on a 42' commercial troller. Very heavy boat, long keel, single engine and a very large prop. He moved the boat to another slip in the marina and it was a treat to watch him use the boat's characteristics to his advantage. There wasn't much room to work with. He reversed with a lot of throttle until his speed was up a bit, put it in neutral and watched the stern. When he was running out of room astern he turned the wheel and with about 1/2 throttle moved the bow where he wanted it and then repeated this until he was where he wanted to be. Many would have not used enough throttle and been all over the place. It helped that he is a Coast Pilot, has his Masters ticket and about 30+ years experience, a lot of it in tugs. But he never fought what the boat wanted to do, just used it to his advantage. Probably felt like a toy after the freighters and tankers he works with daily. But it was neat to watch.
Old 03-05-2011

Still no comments on the Mayer Motor Mount design that started this thread...going once....going twice....last chance!

The Mayers Motor Mount, Sailing, Outboard Motor Management System
Old 03-05-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I can't imagine that structure on the stern of such a pretty boat.
Old 03-05-2011

Thanks, mitiempo...that seems to be the emerging consensus...greg
Old 03-06-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallilabu View Post
Still no comments on the Mayer Motor Mount design that started this thread...going once....going twice....last chance!

The Mayers Motor Mount, Sailing, Outboard Motor Management System
that mount

it just don't look right, and on that boat, the boat wont look right.
Old 03-06-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Two issues, I think:
1. Should you put one on the transom at all?
2. If so, which mount?

Question #1 has already been answered.
Suggest you enjoy the boat as designed.

Dabnis