SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mayer's Motor Mount for Sailboat Outboard? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/72552-mayers-motor-mount-sailboat-outboard.html)

Wallilabu 03-04-2011 07:32 PM

Mayer's Motor Mount for Sailboat Outboard?

Hi friends. When I restored my 1964 Sparkman and Stepehen Sailmaster 22, I mounted a 6 HP Suzuki in the stern lazarette for auxillary power, with remote controls in the cockpit. Although aesthetically pleasing, I am not satisfied with her handling under power with this configuration and am thinking of moving the motor to a stern mount. I've used the traditional stern brackets on other boats this size, but haven't cared much for them either.

Anyway, I ran across this new design called the Mayer's Mount, designed and patented by Tom Mayers down in the Keys. The Mayers Motor Mount, Sailing, Outboard Motor Management System

The concept is basically a stainless steel tubular frame that has a movable yoke on which the motor can be raised and lowered to proper position. Ease of doing so is a clear plus, and the motor can be on the centerline, but it would carry the wieght further aft. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this mount?

Wallilabu

mitiempo 03-04-2011 10:36 PM

What don't you like about the handling under the power with the outboard as it is?

tommays 03-05-2011 05:48 AM

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/PA312583.jpg

That is a pretty bad looking mount and i know bad looking

Wallilabu 03-05-2011 03:16 PM

Backing her down....

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitiempo (Post 705236)
What don't you like about the handling under the power with the outboard as it is?

The problem is the total lack of predictability and control when trying to back her up under power. The current configuration is shown here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...06970980987026

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...07057115408418

Obviously sailboats were never meant to go backwards, and with a full keel configuration (about 3900 lbs total displacement on 16 ft of waterline), such designs never do well in reverse, but it seems the prop wash hitting the rudder must disrupt the flow over the rudder that would offer some steerage and push the hull away. Also, because of the motor always being in the water, the drag effects the performance under sail especially on port tack where she carries a significant amount of lee helm. So, it seemed that the solution(s) might be to get the motor further away from the rudder for improving performance under power and getting it out of the water when under sail, hence the idea of the mount.

I am very open-minded and have little experience with this, so all thoughts and suggestions appreciated..

tommays 03-05-2011 03:44 PM

That is a great looking boat you made for your self and i cant see destroying such a beautiful looking transom :)

I had a Victoria 18 that looked that looked a lot like it which had a cast bronze mount on the deck that could lift and and be quick removed to stow so it did not kill the look of the boat when it was off

My J24 has more modern mount with about 10" of travel and with the motor tilted its easy to keep it out of the water

In forward it will sit and spin in a circle 30 years later its still not much of a performer in reverse ;)

dabnis 03-05-2011 05:56 PM

I had a Coronado 25 with a similar motor well arrangement
except that the motor could be tipped up. At times we would
leave the motor down in neutral and really couldn't tell much,
any difference in speed. Reverse needed a certain amount
of speed through the water, just took a little bit of getting
used to. Putting a transom mounted bracket on will move
the weight further aft and unless you go to a longer shaft
motor it is likely the prop will come out in any kind of a chop.
Suggest you work on backing up procedures and keep
your existing setup. Nice looking boat as is.

Dabnis

NCC320 03-05-2011 06:24 PM

Please consider this before you move the motor mount. One of the big problems with outboards on the stern is that the motor is placed far back and as the boat pitches up and down in any significant chop, the engine will pop out of the water and you loose propulsion. In your situation, the motor is mounted relatively far forward and deep, so you should get the best propulsion forward in this position. Backing control, especially turning might improve a little by moving the engine further back so as to get a little more leverage, but if you are trying to back in a chop and the engine is popping out of the water more, you'll probably have a net loss.

When sailing, if the engine is in the water, and you leave the engine in neutral so the propeller can spin freely, and as long as the engine is placed on the boat's center line and not turned away from the centerline (acting like an supplemental rudder), I would not expect that you would get any difference in weather helm due to the engine. But if you were off center on the mount just a little, or the engine was turned away from center line, or the prop was locked in gear (the shape of the prop when not turning might also act as a supplemental rudder, requiring more tiller force to offset), then you could get weather helm. Some might say letting the prop spin freely is hard on the gearing....perhaps so, but Yanmar has sent out a bulletin on my engine saying that it's better to let the prop free wheel, otherwise there might be some transmission damage resulting when in gear while sailing with engine not running.

GaryHLucas 03-05-2011 07:00 PM

Pretty boat, I sure as heck wouldn't hang the outboard off the stern! A silly question, but do you have the right prop on the outboard? I had an O'day 20 once with a 6 Hp Johnson. I bought a "displacement boat prop" and was shocked at the improvement in handling under power, both in forward and reverse.

Gary H. Lucas

Wallilabu 03-05-2011 07:07 PM

Please tell me more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryHLucas (Post 705479)
Pretty boat, I sure as heck wouldn't hang the outboard off the stern! A silly question, but do you have the right prop on the outboard? I had an O'day 20 once with a 6 Hp Johnson. I bought a "displacement boat prop" and was shocked at the improvement in handling under power, both in forward and reverse.

Gary H. Lucas

I've been wondering about that...hard to find out much about any special props. Seems like this could help. I too am reluctant to hand anything off the stern, but I hate to keep lifting the motor in and out of the well...that is probably what the designers (Sparkman and Stephens) intended however.

Does anyone know anything about a 'displacement boat' prop for a 6 hp outboard?

Wallilabu 03-05-2011 07:15 PM

Not just another pretty rear end...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 705428)
That is a great looking boat you made for your self and i cant see destroying such a beautiful looking transom :)

I had a Victoria 18 that looked that looked a lot like it which had a cast bronze mount on the deck that could lift and and be quick removed to stow so it did not kill the look of the boat when it was off

My J24 has more modern mount with about 10" of travel and with the motor tilted its easy to keep it out of the water

In forward it will sit and spin in a circle 30 years later its still not much of a performer in reverse ;)

Thanks, Tom...I am being swayed by the various responses. Wallilabu's lines are really very beautiful, classic Sparkman and Stephens, and that is why I went to such trouble to avoid spoiling them...so I am rethinking...

By the way, there is a whole set of pictures of her restoration available at that website:

https://picasaweb.google.com/gkoski/...sSailmaster22#

We did most of the work at the historic Gamage Shipyard in South Bristol, Maine, where Wallilabu now lives, indoors in the winter...pampered girl!