SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Semco teak sealer for teak decks

11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TejasSailer 
#1 ·
I have been researching how to treat the teak deck in the cockpit and the teak inlaid seats on our 42ds. The teak is new and unfinished. I am trying to decide between letting it go natural and using a product called Semco Teak Sealer. it got a good write up in Practical Sailor magazine. Since it is a sealer it does not last long, It will need to be re coated 2x year, but is should preserve the nice color of the teak. it appears that it does not build up and need to be sanded between coats.

does anyone have any experience with this product and their likes or dislikes?

#2 ·
I have a 'teakey' ... all decks, etc. are teak.
Have been using Semco "natural' for about 8 years, keeps the deck 'tight', non slippery ... allows the wood below the Semco to become wetted (traction!!!!).
If you retard the UV destruction of the surface cells you will have very little 'erosion' of the teak as you get when the deck goes 'gray'. At now $40/ board ft. for quality teak, Semco is cheaper. I mix 1/2 'natural' with 1/2 goldtone. Once every 2 yrs. I strip with diluted TSP to rebuild the natural color ... since the teak isnt much degraded by UV the TSP 'etch' is very minimal.

Only downsides - recoat each 6 mos. and it will eventually 'transfer' to the soles of your deck shoes.
Good stuff.

AT one time I used to mix 1/3 Semco, 1/3 Teakwoner, 1/3 Thompsons water seal ... no diff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.