Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-08-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Silicon Based Anti-Fouling

Newbuilding Bulker under Construction Will Be

New paint from International Paint. This is a commercial application but maybe the start of the next generation of anti-fouling.
Old 03-08-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Intersleek 900 has been available to the recreational boating market for some years now. Not completely suitable for your average boater and very easy to damage, but some will like it. Get out your wallet though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
While these environmentally friendly paints are more expensive, I find that most of a paint job is labor anyway. The cost of the product doesn't seem that prohibitive if you are trying to do your part or expect you will be required to at some point (marina or state regs).

The big variable is trying to change from old heavy metal paint to these. They all seem to require a full strip and that adds up. The time to think about it is when you plan to strip your bottom anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I'm having my bottom stripped and redone a month or so from now. I had never considered going with a non-biocide paint, but it makes sense that now would be the time to do it. I like the sound of this Intersleek 900 stuff. This is the second time today I've come across it being mentioned. The other place was on the Boston Liveaboards mailing list, where someone said it ends up being cheaper in the long run because it lasts 10 years. Does it really last 10 years? How much do you think it would cost to do the bottom of my 37' Gulfstar? Currently, the yard was suggesting I use a West Marine multi-season ablative.
Old 03-09-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
My bad, this product was introduced in 2007. I'm slow and so is my boat.

As more locations place limits on hazardous materials in their waters and marinas are more careful with run-off from hull cleaning, products like this may become optimal.

International Paint also has a companion product "Intersleek 7180 Linkcoat", that can be applied over a biocide paint.

Intersleek®7180 Linkcoat

I have not checked cost, but for bottom coats, labor is usually the major factor.
Old 03-09-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Personally, Not sure that the labor is the MOST expensive part, then again, depending upon the prop work done. I painted my 30'r by myself in under and hour per coat, with another hour at best hitting the lead, aft parts of the keel, rudder and bow section of the boat where the ablative I had wore off. Then again, with yard rates approaching $80-90 and hour, that gallon of paint at $160 is pretty cheap, with some as low as $100 to the mid 200 range.......I used 80% of the gallon for a double coat......

I too am looking at a hull strip, about $1000-1500 to take it down to gelcoat. in this case, the labor is the main item.

marty