Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-17-2011

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Question Overland Transport

My family and I moved from Annapolis, MD to the St. Louis area this winter. While we are settled in the new house now, finally, we just picked a new marina to bring our boat to. It's not Bay sailing, but it is better than no sailing.

After researching online several different transport companies I think I found one that I like. Has anyone heard of Carthage Marine Transport (CMT) based out of Missouri. I am looking for reviews on the company.

If anyone has other recommendations I would like to hear them. This is my first time moving a keel boat over land and I really do not want to get it wrong.

Also, and advice for packing the boat for shipping will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I am moving a boat from Kemah, Tx to Solomons, Md using Lewis Specialized Trucking.
Old 03-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
......Also, and advice for packing the boat for shipping will be appreciated.....
Consider shrink wrapping or covering the topsides to avoid road rash, especially if painted. I'm sure you realize that nearly everything on the deck will need to be removed and stowed. Check on insurance, yours may not cove ground transport, but are usually easily added. Both you and the trucking company should be insured for the trip.

I've found that securing the boat, pulling and stepping the mast, hauling and launching and coordinating all of it for when the truck arrives, to be the most stressful part of land transport.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-18-2011

teddier1 is on a distinguished road
About a month ago we had a 49ft sailboat shipped from LA to Cleveland, OH. We used Joule Yacht Transport, Inc out of Clearwater, FL. They did a wonderful job.
Old 03-18-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
What type of costs are they quoting for transport ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.