Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-18-2011
Lost at Si!

lostatsi is on a distinguished road
Water storage enquiry

I would like some opinions on the following
I live aboard, The boat has a 135 gallon aluminum water tank with a Metek cartridge filter. The filter would quickly (2 weeks) clog with what seemed to be algae? or ? I removed the cartridge and only use water for non potable use (vacuflush heads, dishes, out-patient surgery).I also started putting a splash of bleach with each refill.
Now I have plumbed in a city water hook-up so I do not use the tank at all. I am wondering what to do with the tank when not in use. Although I sail quite a bit I do not foresee needing water for my little trips. Should I keep the tank full or should I drain it when not being used? If I do drain it should I go crazy on the bleach with a 3/4 tank and drain after a sail for a clean up?
???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
First, be aware that bleach is highly corrosive in an aluminum tank so you may solve your problem sooner than later by having to replace the tank.

Second, boats sink from city water hook-ups. Most boat plumbing cannot handle the pressure so you at least need something to reduce the pressure. If you spring a leak in you plumbing and your bilge pump cannot handle it, your boat will fill up and that will not be good.

We live aboard and have FG tanks built into the boat. They are very clean but we still run through a filter and use a PUR filter pitcher for drinking water. We fill up our tanks(165 gal) every few weeks.

You can use bleach to shock your tanks but you need to clean the bleach out afterwards with lots of fresh water. You can then use a vinegar mixture to get rid of the bleach taste/smell. You might also consider cutting clean-out ports in your tanks so you can easily clean them. Leaving water in a tank is not good. If you are not using them, leave them empty. The algae is likely from leaving the tanks partially filled for long periods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 03-18-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We liveaboard and our tanks remain clean because of our high turnover rate. I suggest you flush and agitate your tanks with a high pressure influent and open your effluent from the tanks to overboard discharge along with the overflow vents. I a relatively short time you shouldl have all clean water that can be actively used. As long as you continue to use the water in your tanks it will remain clean. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-18-2011
Lost at Si!

lostatsi is on a distinguished road
Treilley
Thanks for the heads up on bleach. I have installed a regulator and NEVER leave the boat with water on. I walk right by the hookup. I'm so lazy that I even installed an extra inside main off valve.