Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Jabsco Marine Head Installation Tips

I'll start by reporting that today's haul-out went off without a hitch. A showery, cool morning turned into a very nice mid to late afternoon. Ended up working in my T-shirt, which is nice for March in Vancouver.

Alas, tomorrow's schedule has one job that I'm not looking forward to: replacing the manual Jabsco Head. We've had leaks and water coming back into the bowl since we bought the boat in 2009. Last Fall, our Power Squadron marine mtce course and a trip to the Jabsco web site confirmed that the pump needs to be replaced. So why replace the entire head? Simple: most local chandleries sell the pump kit for between $140 to $160 CDN, but we picked up a new compact head at the boat show for $129.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep the mess to a minimum when I pull the old head? Or this a case of grinning and bearing it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I think as long as you're completely pumped out and the line has been completely flushed though with fresh water it's just a matter of grinning and bearing it

Man, I'd rather spend a day in the engine room of a stinkpot then a minute fixing a broken head
Old 03-20-2011
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
It's not worth all the crap to repair Jabsco heads, you were right to buy the whole thing. Takes about 20 minutes to undo the lag bolts and the clamps then install the new one. Make sure you replace the old clamps with new, have a spray cleaner, paper towel, two large plastic bags (one for old head) and a wet/dry shop vac. When you crack the lines open use the vac to suck up any water and crud. You can also vacuum out the old head as there's nothing to hurt when you do this. Keep the fixture seat if its any good as they charge $80 for a new one.
Old 03-20-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
DON'T use your wet-dry vac to pick up sewage! It will stink for a really long time afterwards! Ask me how I know! What I did the next time was buy a white plastic bucket with lid, and a short piece of 1" clear hose from Home Depot. Punch two holes in the lid, one for the vacuum hose, and one for the clear hose. Leave the holes a little small and just force the hoses in for tight fit. Now you can use the vacuum and collect everything in the bucket. If you need to empty it more than once it is a lot easier carrying the bucket than trying to dump the vac.

You guys are worrying about a lousy little head. I work in the waste water industry. You should try taking apart 8" pipe and pumps that are filled with sewage!

Gary H. Lucas
Old 03-20-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice folks. Gary, my wife sends you a big thanks for suggesting NOT to use our Shop Vac.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-20-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Doing the same thing myself. While you are in there, replace hoses. Old hoses could be source of stink.
Old 03-20-2011
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
DON'T use your wet-dry vac to pick up sewage! It will stink for a really long time afterwards! Ask me how I know!
Nonsense. I've replaced dozens using the wet vac. Use the foam filter ONLY (throw away later if you can't clean) and put 1 cup of bleach into the vacuum tank before you use the vacuum. There'll be no smell.
Old 03-20-2011

captflood is on a distinguished road
Greetings Earthlings; I do hope you have been useing vegitable cooking oils and vinigar when you leave your loos for a while. The oil lubes the bits and the vinigar breakes down lots of the nasties. use the old one as repair or spears. Never do today what becomes somone elses problem tomorrow !
That sounds like a deligated job step forward you volanteer. Go Safe
Old 03-20-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Be ready to do this about every other year with a jabsco. Don't ask me how I know.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 03-20-2011

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I know how ya know

But, beside that, pump it out, flush it with fresh water, pump that out and you should be good to go

And second the veg oil & vinegar ............though somethings I have to use olive oil

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.