SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Spinnaker on Pearson 30 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/7297-spinnaker-pearson-30-a.html)

zeilfanaat 06-24-2003 04:43 AM

Spinnaker on Pearson 30

My Pearson 30 came with an almost new spinnaker (in a chutescoop/snuffer), but no other running rigging, so I am trying to put the pieces together. Are Pearson 30s are typically set up for end-for-end or dip-pole jibes? I am also looking for guidance on the size hardware I should select (blocks, sheets, twings, etc.)

Thanks!

BertV 06-24-2003 10:43 AM

Spinnaker on Pearson 30

Lots of questions. Is the mast set up for a spinnaker? Do you have a separate spinnaker halyard on a swivel at the masthead? If not, you need that. The jib halyard typically won''t do because of the spinnaker halyard comes out at an angle as it leaves the block. Lots of chafe if it''s not set up properly. Next would be the pole lift for the spinnaker pole. It should come out of the mast about spreader height with a snap shackle on the end. A down haul for the pole is also a must. For a 30 ft boat you should have a 3" diameter spinnaker pole and, depending on how you want to rig it, it will need pole ends. On my 30 ft Islander I prefer the end for end with identical pole ends. The pole dip takes more time and I find it more of a bother. In larger boats where you cannot handle the spinnaker pole for end to end gibing, the dip is the way to go. As for blocks, ou will probably need spinnaker blocks near the rear of the boat as well as snatch blocks for the guys near the stays. I would go for the Size 1 or 2 Ocean Blocks that Lewmar sells or have a look at the Harken catalog. They spell out the correct block size for boat length very well. It will give you an idea anyway and then you can decide what you want to purchase. I''ve learned over the years that if you skimp on the first purchase, you won''t on the second when the first block shatters. Then you will have paid good money above what you should have bought in the first place! Good luck!

zeilfanaat 06-25-2003 04:47 AM

Spinnaker on Pearson 30

I guess I misspoke when I said no running rigging. All of the mast hardware is there (halyard, topping lift, track, pole), but I don''t have sheets and blocks (yet). Before I invest in those, I thought I''d see how others rig a spinnaker on a boat this size. I have looked at the Harken catalog (very helpful), but it seems that in their mind, a 30 footer falls right on the line between small and mid-range boats. What to choose, what to choose...my budget is finite (but your point on skimping at the outset is well taken).

Most of my spinnaker experience has been on smaller boats; the Pearson 30 has a big (in my mind, anyway) masthead spinnaker, and I''d like to make sure I rig it so that it can be handled as easily as possible.

Thanks!

BertV 06-25-2003 07:01 AM

Spinnaker on Pearson 30

All that rigging will save a bundle. Yes, a spinnaker on a 30 footer is definately bigger than a 20 of 25 footer, but everything is manageable. I went from an O''Day 25 to the Islander 30 and the size of the spinnaker scared me till I got used to it. Now I also race on a C&C 40 (Swiftsure Race from Victoria, BC) and although a very powerful sail, it operates the same as all other spinnakers. You get used to it, not complacent, but used to it. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, there are two ways to rig the pole if you want to do end for end gibes. I would definately go with the one-size-up blocks unless you plan on reducing sail when the wind picks up. You want the gear to hold up! The one-size-up also reduces some of the friction in the blocks and makes sail handling somewhat easier. If the wind is light (and anticipated to stay light!) you can get away with two sheets, one off each corner. One becomes the guy, the other the sheet. This is where a snatch block amidships come in handy. The guy can be forced into the snatch block if you are hard on the wind with the spinnaker. This will keep the sheet from bending the stantions. If there is a risk of increasing winds, or, the "safe" way to run a spinnaker, would be to have two lines at each corner of the sail. One on each corner would be the sheet, the other the guy. The sheet would run to a turning block at the rear quarter of the boat, the guy would be run to the snatch block (or regular block) amidships. When the wind picks up, the guy is already in place and in the right place. Both the sheets and guys have to have snap shackles on the ends to ensure that you can release the spinnaker if you have to. More importantly, you have to be able to release the loaded guy from the cockpit in an emergency (like a knockdown in a gust). This means that the sheet on that side also has to have a free run! No knots in the end of the sheets or guys. Once the loaded guy is released, the boat pops back up and the spinnaker is depowered. You can retrieve it via the still loaded sheet. As far as the pole is concerned, I would build a bridle top and bottom as that allows you the most flexibility and strength. Use vinal coated wire with proper crimped on ends and rings. Make sure the pole has quick release lines that can be reached anywhere on the pole (makes it much easier to gibe). Color code the release lines so you don''t pull the wrong one and end up with a surprise. Make sure you lubricate the pole ends regularly. I know what a limited budget is, I have one! A spinnaker is a powerful sail and can really surprise and frighten you if it gets out of contol.

melssailing 07-22-2003 04:42 PM

Spinnaker on Pearson 30

Hello I am new to sailnet and have a couple of questions. One is,we have a Catalina 25 that came with a spinnaker that I have not used yet but am now ready to. Does any one have any info on using spinnaker poles, or the ATN Tacker which is suposed to replace the pole? Is the tacker really easier and just as efficient. The other is finding out who made our spinnaker. The logo is a simple 2 triangular blue sails and a red hull any info would be greatly appreciated.