Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I'll chime in that I've been satisfied with Pettit Hydrocoat after using it on my previous boat and current one on the Chesapeake.

A slight coat of slime is all I've ever had to deal with leaving the boat in the water 2 seasons at a time, hauling out every other year.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I've used Micron the last two paint jobs, as that is what came with the boat for the PO in his 20 yrs of owning the boat. Worked overall pretty well in Puget sound. I just painted after 3 yrs with WM's equal with slime.

Do not know how it will work, but was cheap, and am hoping to haul in the next 6-18 months and do a complete bottom remove and redo with hard paint. With that, I will swag my Jeanneau 30 is about the same sq footage and disp as your C&C, fin keel 6500 lbs disp, 25.5 waterline, I used ~.8 gal with two full coats, 4 on the waterline down a foot, leading and tailing edges of fin and rudder. I think I have a pic out of the water I can post if you want a view of my boat to see how close it is to yours. I would start with one gal, assuming the supply place is close by. You may only need 1-1.25 gals, a qt on the tail end is way cheaper than having .75 gals left over!

Marty
Old 03-22-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
NE Gulf coast -- go with Micron. That's what most sailors here use....
Old 03-22-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Shaun....were you implying J was not a professional???????

We are switching from Micron Extra to the UltimaSR40 on Chefs recommendation ( we have had good luck however with the micron Extra)

Chef.... should I be going with the SR60 instead?

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-22-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
I've been using Pettit Hydrocoat, which is water-based) for at least 3 years with good results here in Connecticut. It was applied over CSC, which I had previously used for over 10 years.

Every spring I simple buff the bottom (which the boatyard had power washed in the fall) using plain water and a scouring pad (the kind that has a handle) and roll on a single, thin coat.

Another bit of advice: If you have a substantial build-up of a solvent-based ablative paint,you might simply wipe your bottom down with acetone or paint thinner and a rag to refresh the surface. You might touch up the water line, but you can avoid applying a whole new coat.
Old 03-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Anybody else know if Micron CSC has been discontinued for certain? It's been our paint of choice for the last 20 years.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-22-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Anybody else know if Micron CSC has been discontinued for certain? It's been our paint of choice for the last 20 years.
Why do you think it is discontinued it is still on the Interlux website.
Old 03-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Why do you think it is discontinued it is still on the Interlux website.
See post #5 above.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-23-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Defender has both CSC and CSC Extra on their website. Their annual warehouse sale starts next week. Stock up.
Old 03-23-2011

DrB will become famous soon enough
Another Experience

My boat is in Salem, MA. It goes in end of April and gets hauled mid-November. It is used every week 1-3X.

The previous owner used Interlux Micron 33 and when I bought the boat, the bottom was so smooth, I asked him what he used. When I went to repaint, I couldn't find the Micron 33, so went to Micron 66. The was a great paint, but it was a lot of money. Since I haul my boat yearly, I decided last year to try West Marine's Version with anti-slime and am very happy with the results.

The WM version may result in a tad more slime, but but not enough to make a difference. It also may wear a little worse. I seem to have less residual paint than the Micron 66 so, for extended seasons or heavy use, it may mean a shorter duration bewteen repaints. For a 6 to 9 month season, I don't think it makes a differnce, The bottom power washed of well when she was pulled.

Since the WM stuff is 50% of the price of the Interlux Micron 66 and they are are almost equivalent in performance, the WM paint is recommended.

DrB