Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60 - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Have any of you used Pettit Vivid? Comments on it?
Vivid is possibly the least durable ablative paint on the market. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
Vivid is possibly the least durable ablative paint on the market. Good luck.
Can you be more specific? Cite sources? Have you actually used it yourself, or cleaned many bottoms with it?

It's listed as a hard paint, not an ablative. Rated pretty well in the P-S evaluations. So your comment comes as a surprise. Please elaborate. I suspect you have some first-hand experience from scrubbing bottoms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 03-28-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
For anyone buying Pettit paint this spring, here's the link for the $20 per gallon rebate:

Pettit Marine Paints - Bounce Back Rebate
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Can you be more specific? Cite sources? Have you actually used it yourself, or cleaned many bottoms with it?

It's listed as a hard paint, not an ablative. Rated pretty well in the P-S evaluations. So your comment comes as a surprise. Please elaborate. I suspect you have some first-hand experience from scrubbing bottoms.
Vivid is is a "hybrid" anti fouling paint and in the water, on your hull, comes off like the softest ablative you have ever seen. Have I ever used it? No. Nor would I. In a world where good ablatives and modified epoxies last 2+ years, Vivid will last maybe half of that. Not saying it's a bad paint, just saying don't expect long life from it, especially if the conditions you keep your boat in tend to shorten an anti fouling's lifespan just sitting there.

I make this statement based on my 16 years in the hull cleaning biz. I run across Vivid all the time. I do not recommend it to my clients.
Old 03-28-2011

Are you sure you are not referring to "Vivid Free"? That's very different from "Vivid."

I'm just very puzzled that a paint that is marketed as a hard paint can turn out to be softer than the softest ablatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Are you sure you are not referring to "Vivid Free"? That's very different from "Vivid."

I'm just very puzzled that a paint that is marketed as a hard paint can turn out to be softer than the softest ablatives.
I am not talking about Vivid Free. I am talking about the standard Vivid. It is not marketed strictly as a hard paint, it is a hybrid. Even the Petit web site lists it under both "Hard" and "Ablative" categories. It has attributes of both types. One of the ablative attributes is that it comes off the hull easier than just about anything else I have ever seen.

I'm just telling you what I know from years of real world experience.
Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstbttms View Post
I am not talking about Vivid Free. I am talking about the standard Vivid. It is not marketed strictly as a hard paint, it is a hybrid. Even the Petit web site lists it under both "Hard" and "Ablative" categories. It has attributes of both types. One of the ablative attributes is that it comes off the hull easier than just about anything else I have ever seen.

I'm just telling you what I know from years of real world experience.
Thanks for your patience with me, and for taking the time to respond. After some more searching I am seeing things that agree with your valuable first-hand experience. It is definitely something to think about. If it's really an ablative, then that opens up a whole bunch of other possibilities.

I think I was confused by the fact that Practical Sailor (and several websites) listed it as a hard paint without highlighting the "hybrid" properties. As you told me (multiple times), it seems to be no more durable than a normal ablative. I guess the only thing that makes it similar to some hard paints is that it can be burnished, but my bottom is already too rough to be able to do that in the next year or so.

So let me ask your advice. What would you recommend for the most durable possible ablative paint for fresh water, where I have no barnacles but lots of slime? From what I'm learning, high copper content is not needed, but extra biocides could help. Which grades fit that description?

Thanks again - sorry I was so dense!

Old 03-28-2011

Quote:
So let me ask your advice. What would you recommend for the most durable possible ablative paint for fresh water, where I have no barnacles but lots of slime? From what I'm learning, high copper content is not needed, but extra biocides could help. Which grades fit that description?
I am not going to tell you that I know which paint will work best for you in freshwater. I do not service boats in freshwater and so have no experience with what works well there and what doesn't. Further, an anti fouling paint that works great in one region (be it saltwater or fresh) may not perform in another. In addition, my favorite ablative, Micron 66, is not suitable for freshwater at all. In your situation, I suspect that Micron CSC is probably about as good as any other ablative paint you can buy.

I will say this, however. In a previous post you indicated that your objection to a hard paint is that once you used an ablative, you wouldn't be able to go back to hard without sanding all the old paint off first. This is not true. Most hard paints are compatible with most ablatives and one can go over another with excellent results. A bit of sanding to give the ablative some "tooth" is all that is typically needed. And that being said, I think that Petit Trinidad SR is hands down the best anti fouling paint available.

Last edited by Fstbttms; 03-28-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I would agree with the TrinidAd SR if I was to go "hard"

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-28-2011

Well you guys have me thinking. I think I am going to call Pettit tomorrow and see what their experts suggest. The original Vivid recommendation came from sales guys at their booth at the Annapolis Boat Show, but the questions raised here are very valid.