Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60 - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013
Panhandle Sailor

dreuge is on a distinguished road
Re: Bottom paint: Micron Extra/CSC, Pettit Ultima SR-40/SR-60

UPDATE

I went with the Petit Ultima SR-60. Since then, my boat has been in the water for 1-1/4 years, and the bottom still looks newly painted! I have had a little bit of green slim and have gently wiped down the bottom two times over the last year.

In an area where barnacles and oysters are a big problem, I have no, zero, zilch problems from to these critters. I am hoping to go three years before hauling out again. So far so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuge View Post
I am looking to repaint the bottom of my sailboat. It is going on three years since it was done by the previous owner. The paint currently is/was an ablative paint.

I sail in the gulf along the FL panhandle, and I am planning on going with another ablative paint. Barnacles are problem here. So far I have narrowed my choices down to 4 paints. I was originally planing on going with an Interlux, but I recently came across the Pettit Ultima paints which currently have rebate offers ($10-$20/gal off).

I would greatly appreciate any input on the 4 paints listed below. I am leaning towards the SR-60 or the Micron Extra(SR-60 with rebate is $40 less per gallon). For a C&C 29 mk1, I expect I'll need two gallons. Has anyone had good success with the SR-60? I searched the Sailnet forums on SR-60 and found no hits, so I guess it is rather new product.

[1] Pettit Unltima SR-60
[2] Interlux Micron Extra
[3] Pettit Unltima SR-40
[4] Interlux Micron CSC
T37Chef likes this.

Last edited by dreuge; 01-09-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I would agree with the TrinidAd SR if I was to go "hard"
That just doesnt read well

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
That just doesnt read well
Its how old guys speak

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-09-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreuge View Post
UPDATE

I went with the Petit Ultima SR-60. Since then, my boat has been in the water for 1-1/4 years, and the bottom still looks newly painted! I have had a little bit of green slim and have gently wiped down the bottom two times over the last year.

In an area where barnacles and oysters are a big problem, I have no, zero, zilch problems from to these critters. I am hoping to go three years before hauling out again. So far so good.
We have been using the Petit Ultima SR in the south Tampa Bay area for quite some time and have found that even after 2-1/2 years, the paint remains very effective. FWIW we have the bottom wiped down once a month or so by our diver.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Rick,

We use Ultima 60 in an environment which has salinity and fresh water also. Since you are on the Delaware is there no salt water where you are? Hard to beleive in the summer when the salt line comes up the Delaware it doesnt reach Essington. So its entirely fresh water where you are? I would have though you had some salt content to it.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-09-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Its how old guys speak
As you get older, hard bottom paint is as exciting as it gets.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Bawahahahahaha

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

Old 04-23-2013

SaltyHog is on a distinguished road

Has anyone applied Pettit Ultima SR-60 hot-coated over Interprotect 2000? I had my bottom peeled and a new vinylester layup applied. My fiberglass guy is recommending Interprotect and I want to use the Pettit Ultima SR-60 over that. Interlux says that hot coating (thumb print test) with Ultima SR-60 is ok. Here's the thing: the instructions for Pettit's version of epoxy barrier coat has instruction for hot coating with bottom paint that sound similar to Interlux's, except for the SR-60. For SR-60, the barrier coat should be set up to "Tack free". SR-60 uses a different solvent than SR-40 and the other paints, so I'm wondering if that is why the difference. Anyway, I know at least someone had put SR-40 over Interprotect, I was wondering if anyone has had success or problems with hotcoating Interprotect with the SR-60.
Old 04-23-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road

Salty,

I used 2 coats of SR-60 over 2000e last month and "hot coated" the first coat of SR-60. I didn't have any issues. The boat's back in the water now though, so if any long-term issues come up, I won't know for a while.

I'd be curious to check out the literature you were looking at if you have a link? I found Pettit's TB-Z155 Bottom Painting Bare Fiberglass technical bulletin advised applying SR-60 to their 6999 Sandless Primer tack-free. But as far as I can tell, the 6999 is not an epoxy product. Their 4700/4701 looks to be a 2-part epoxy barrier coat more similar to the 2000e. I couldn't find any info specific to SR-60 over the 4700/4701.
Old 04-23-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyHog View Post
Has anyone applied Pettit Ultima SR-60 hot-coated over Interprotect 2000? I had my bottom peeled and a new vinylester layup applied. My fiberglass guy is recommending Interprotect and I want to use the Pettit Ultima SR-60 over that. Interlux says that hot coating (thumb print test) with Ultima SR-60 is ok. Here's the thing: the instructions for Pettit's version of epoxy barrier coat has instruction for hot coating with bottom paint that sound similar to Interlux's, except for the SR-60. For SR-60, the barrier coat should be set up to "Tack free". SR-60 uses a different solvent than SR-40 and the other paints, so I'm wondering if that is why the difference. Anyway, I know at least someone had put SR-40 over Interprotect, I was wondering if anyone has had success or problems with hotcoating Interprotect with the SR-60.
I used Horizons as the "hot coat" layer at the advice of Pettit. Horizons is the same base co-polymer paint without the slime blocker and a little less copper (equal to Ultima SR40). They suggested the non-slime blocker as the hot coat/tracer then you can switch to Ultima SR. This went over IP2KE 6 years ago and there are zero adhesion or build up issues. Steve Miller our local rep up here has recently told me that hot coating with either SR40 or SR60 is not a problem at least with their barrier coat. He would not comment on IP2KE which is what I used.

Keep in mind that as copper content goes up, and slime blockers get added, coverage per gallon goes down slightly. SR60 covers about 400 sq ft. and Horizons covers about 500 sq ft., SR 40 about 450 sq ft. SR60 has a different solvent than SR40..

Just finished applying SR60 and it is tough to cover my hull with 1 gal but I can easily do it with SR40. SR40 is the exact same paint as West Marine PCA GOLD...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-23-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.