SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   below deck autopilot (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/73009-below-deck-autopilot.html)

e37duff 03-22-2011 05:19 PM

below deck autopilot
 
looking for anyone with info on installing a below the deck autopilot. have an Endeavour 37 and have been researching the Simrad, B&G, Rathyone, Garmin and such. any infor will help thanks

Matt

Minnewaska 03-22-2011 05:54 PM

Not sure what info you are looking for. Putting a repeater at the helm station is a great idea, especially or cold or wet weather. Still need to have someone on watch or able to see outside.

svHyLyte 03-22-2011 06:03 PM

We have a Robertson (now owned by Simrad) and the unit has proven bullet proof in all kinds of weather. I would not own anything else.

FWIW...

CaptainForce 03-22-2011 06:10 PM

I have a 1973 Benmar drive autopilot married to a Nexus control head on my hydraulic system. We would do best knowing what the mechanics of your steering are......quadrant w/cable, hydraulic, worm gear? Take care and joy, Aythya crew

boatsnh 03-22-2011 06:41 PM

Are you looking for physical "how to" install the system or which system is best? No real "best"...all a function of power usage, cost, support, availability and features....I've got a ComNav electronics package driving a Simrad hydraulic ram. I know folks with most of the systems you mentioned...most like what they have.

e37duff 03-23-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatsnh (Post 711789)
Are you looking for physical "how to" install the system or which system is best? No real "best"...all a function of power usage, cost, support, availability and features....I've got a ComNav electronics package driving a Simrad hydraulic ram. I know folks with most of the systems you mentioned...most like what they have.

not a total "how to" stall. but am looking to talk back and forth with somone who has an sutopilot of the type i am in th market for. i have a 1978 endeavour 10 net tons. i have been looking at the lates stuff out there. simrad, b&g, garmin, ect. looking for pictures as to the mounting of the ram. simrad has come out with a drive unit called the dd15 but it is rated just shy at my 10.5 ton vessel wt.
can you shoot me a picture of your mounting of the ram, interested as to how you have this fixed below and to what part of the rudder/steering quadrant.

while i await your reply i'll reaserch "ComNav"
thanks

e37duff 03-23-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svHyLyte (Post 711777)
We have a Robertson (now owned by Simrad) and the unit has proven bullet proof in all kinds of weather. I would not own anything else.

FWIW...

svHyLyte, what drive unit are you using? did you install?

e37duff 03-23-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainForce (Post 711780)
I have a 1973 Benmar drive autopilot married to a Nexus control head on my hydraulic system. We would do best knowing what the mechanics of your steering are......quadrant w/cable, hydraulic, worm gear? Take care and joy, Aythya crew

True.

I have an edson binacle. there is cble anttatched to a bronse triangle looking thingy undedr the deck. the cable it attached to the rudder. i think. unfortunatley im far away from my boat and am doing moset of this by memory.

Ilenart 03-23-2011 06:51 AM

My auto pilot is definitely not new (I believe the drive unit was installed at least 20 years ago) however it will give you some ideas. The unit was originally an Autohelm 5000 (which was brought out by Raymarine) and the control unit has now been upgraded to a Raymarine unit. These units were designed for up to a 40ft yacht, so on my UFO 34 the autopilot is rock solid / no problemo.

The first photo is taken from in front of the rudder post and you can just see where the drive unit attaches on the left.

The second and third photos were taken thru the rear hatch.

Hope these help

Ilenart


http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/PB250027.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/PA130035.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/P9220002.jpg

haffiman37 03-23-2011 07:04 AM

The above unit looks rather similar to my Raymarine unit on my Jeanneau SO 37, but a bit more rusty!!!
I installed mine in 2003 an it has made about 20.000Nmiles without any problems.
I bolted it straight on the aft bulkhead in my STB aft cabin, goes directly onto the rudder quadrant. Controlled by a Raymarine 150G computer a perfect set-up.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012