Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-22-2011

e37duff is on a distinguished road
below deck autopilot

looking for anyone with info on installing a below the deck autopilot. have an Endeavour 37 and have been researching the Simrad, B&G, Rathyone, Garmin and such. any infor will help thanks

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Not sure what info you are looking for. Putting a repeater at the helm station is a great idea, especially or cold or wet weather. Still need to have someone on watch or able to see outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-22-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
We have a Robertson (now owned by Simrad) and the unit has proven bullet proof in all kinds of weather. I would not own anything else.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-22-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I have a 1973 Benmar drive autopilot married to a Nexus control head on my hydraulic system. We would do best knowing what the mechanics of your steering are......quadrant w/cable, hydraulic, worm gear? Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 03-22-2011

boatsnh is on a distinguished road
Are you looking for physical "how to" install the system or which system is best? No real "best"...all a function of power usage, cost, support, availability and features....I've got a ComNav electronics package driving a Simrad hydraulic ram. I know folks with most of the systems you mentioned...most like what they have.
Old 03-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsnh View Post
Are you looking for physical "how to" install the system or which system is best? No real "best"...all a function of power usage, cost, support, availability and features....I've got a ComNav electronics package driving a Simrad hydraulic ram. I know folks with most of the systems you mentioned...most like what they have.
not a total "how to" stall. but am looking to talk back and forth with somone who has an sutopilot of the type i am in th market for. i have a 1978 endeavour 10 net tons. i have been looking at the lates stuff out there. simrad, b&g, garmin, ect. looking for pictures as to the mounting of the ram. simrad has come out with a drive unit called the dd15 but it is rated just shy at my 10.5 ton vessel wt.
can you shoot me a picture of your mounting of the ram, interested as to how you have this fixed below and to what part of the rudder/steering quadrant.

while i await your reply i'll reaserch "ComNav"
thanks
Old 03-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have a Robertson (now owned by Simrad) and the unit has proven bullet proof in all kinds of weather. I would not own anything else.

FWIW...
svHyLyte, what drive unit are you using? did you install?
Old 03-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainForce View Post
I have a 1973 Benmar drive autopilot married to a Nexus control head on my hydraulic system. We would do best knowing what the mechanics of your steering are......quadrant w/cable, hydraulic, worm gear? Take care and joy, Aythya crew
True.

I have an edson binacle. there is cble anttatched to a bronse triangle looking thingy undedr the deck. the cable it attached to the rudder. i think. unfortunatley im far away from my boat and am doing moset of this by memory.
Old 03-23-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
My auto pilot is definitely not new (I believe the drive unit was installed at least 20 years ago) however it will give you some ideas. The unit was originally an Autohelm 5000 (which was brought out by Raymarine) and the control unit has now been upgraded to a Raymarine unit. These units were designed for up to a 40ft yacht, so on my UFO 34 the autopilot is rock solid / no problemo.

The first photo is taken from in front of the rudder post and you can just see where the drive unit attaches on the left.

The second and third photos were taken thru the rear hatch.

Hope these help

Ilenart

Old 03-23-2011

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
The above unit looks rather similar to my Raymarine unit on my Jeanneau SO 37, but a bit more rusty!!!
I installed mine in 2003 an it has made about 20.000Nmiles without any problems.
I bolted it straight on the aft bulkhead in my STB aft cabin, goes directly onto the rudder quadrant. Controlled by a Raymarine 150G computer a perfect set-up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.