Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-22-2011
1970 bristol 30 hull #4

dieseldrifter is on a distinguished road
???to ditch wheel steering ???

so i recently bought a 1970 bristol 30 that currently has edson wheel steering the type running cables and chains from the wheel to a quadrent i think is the correct word on the rutter post that is still exposed in the cockpit for use with emergency tiller. Just thiking I have never owned a wheel steer boat and it sure seems like a lot of points of failor compared to a tiller. I have new teak decking to go down with if i remove it. I question auto pilots I know that they are cheaper for a tiller boat, but are they as accurate and effecent as awheel pilot??? and its a nice piece of hardware it will be tough to pull it out kind of like taking the A/C out of your car to save gas any thought on the matter would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"kind of like taking the A/C out of your car to save gas "
A very appropriate comparison, since removing the AC and rolling down the windows in most modern cars (since the 70's) will actually DECREASE the gas mileage due to increased wind resistance.
And decrease the value of the car, or in this case, the boat. Wheel steering is an expensive option or upgrade. Yes there is more to go wrong but a tiller is also much more constant work and tiring in the long term.
And any autopilot that is above deck is considered unreliable, compared to one that is installed below deck, out of the constant exposure.
By all means, if you want "less stuff" pull the wheel steering, but then don't go putting in an autopilot because that's more stuff again.
Old 03-22-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Myself I've always preferred tillers on boats under 35' and I've often remarked that I wish our old girl was equipped with the original tiller rather than wheel but I've since been sailing on a sister ship with tiller and have to admit I prefer our wheel.

Before you remove the wheel maybe a good idea to try and go for a sail on a tiller equipped boat of the same design.

In general however you do rid yourself of a lot of below deck clutter and as you say tiller pilots are a damn sight cheaper than wheel pilots. My mate with the sister ship to our Van de Stadt 34 has a tiller pilot. I did an overnight coastal passage on her last year and the tiller pilot worked like a charm. Without the clutter his boat has a good double quarterberth whereas ours is really on good for a single.

Pros and cons I'm afraid.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-22-2011

anemoneii is on a distinguished road
I daysail often with people who want to hang out, people always had to move their legs when I wanted to tack with a tiller, a wheel stays in it's own plane, no one needs to move
Old 03-22-2011

thehardaground is on a distinguished road
I would think that a Bristol 30 would sail quite comfortably with a tiller. Personally I would change back in a heartbeat. When you remove the pedestal and all the associated gear you can probably sell it quite easily and turn that $$$$$$$$$$ into an autopilot.
Old 03-22-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Edson gear is pretty solid stuff. More likely than not you will sooner or later need to replace the cables, which you can do yourself. If the sheaves (pulleys) are in good shape, you would do yourself a favor by doing some preventative maintenance and keep your wheel steering.

If you call Edson directly, they will more than likely provide practical advice on how you should proceed with your boat. I called them a few years ago about a replacement part and they looked up my specific boat in their files and sent me a list of the Edson parts that the boatbuilder ordered for the original owner. They also told me that the part I needed (a boot for my steering arm) wasn't made by Edson, but was available at an auto parts store for about $20.

If you decide to refurbish your steering, you may have a problem removing your binnacle compass if it is held by the original design stainless steel screws. Edson makes a ceramic coated screw for this application and can advise you on how you should handle this upgrade--which involves sacrificing the old screws.
Old 03-22-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
As someone wiser than I said some time back on this board, DON"T DO ANYTHING major other than necessary repairs to your boat until at least after the first full season. (No, td, I don't think it was you.....)

Something that seems like an issue now may, after a year's or so use be of lesser importance, or be overtaken by some issue more critical.

The wheel vs tiller debate is one of those unwinnable ones with valid pros & cons on both sides. In a perfect world you'll simply sail enough of both to be comfortable with either.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-23-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
The next time I run into someone who says "tillers are better!" I'm gonna ask to see his tiller steered car.
Old 03-23-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Faster's advice - +1

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-23-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
i had never had a tiller on a boat till i got this nimble 30 express. it sure makes docking easy. the tiller pilot works great even down wind in a following sea. of course, the canoe stern helps there too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.