SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Is my multimeter dying? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/73081-my-multimeter-dying.html)

AdamLein 03-25-2011 12:57 PM

Is my multimeter dying?

I bought a digital multimeter about three years ago and have been using it fairly frequently. Sometimes I forget to turn it off, and after a few minutes it beeps to remind me (or maybe turns off on its own, don't quite remember).

The other day I was using the ohmmeter feature and noticed that the reading would increase after the initial reading, even if the probes weren't moving at all on the surface.

If I just touch the probes together, the reading is 00.0 and then immediately starts to increase, and then stops after about four or five seconds. Where it stops is somewhat variable; before I started writing this post it would stop at 1.4 ohms, then just now it stopped at 3.9 ohms, and then 2.8 ohms.

I'm guessing this means that the internal battery is dying, and so can't handle a load. Does that make sense?

I suppose I could remove the battery and test it with another voltmeter :P

Faster 03-25-2011 01:05 PM

Yeah.... just change the battery - easy check. If these symptoms disappear you've got it... if not - I guess a better one is in your future!

AdamLein 03-25-2011 01:41 PM

There's no convenient door to access the battery, so I think I have to take off the back cover of the thing. Which is probably more effort than posting to a forum :)

trantor12020 03-26-2011 03:02 AM

In 3 years you have not changed the battery? I think the alkaline battery could be leaked and corroded the terminals or you need a new set of battery.

centaursailor 03-26-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamLein (Post 712907)
There's no convenient door to access the battery, so I think I have to take off the back cover of the thing. Which is probably more effort than posting to a forum :)

Yep, seems you have tough job there.:eek:
And then theres the recycling to worry about!:)
FM, the suns shining in the window, I,m....
Safe sailing

waterdog52 03-26-2011 06:57 AM

Battery.....the front half is probably held on to the back half with several soon to be lost screws.

MarkofSeaLife 03-26-2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamLein (Post 712907)
There's no convenient door to access the battery, so I think I have to take off the back cover of the thing.

Yeah, mine is the same. Weird, eh? No battery door.
Mine has a lil 9 volt battery in it.

Faster 03-26-2011 09:14 AM

Our Fluke meters are the same.. you need to split the case to get at the battery.

mdbee 03-26-2011 11:41 AM

Maybe just cut the back off and the duct tape it back on. Wouldn't have to fool with those damn screws.

mitiempo 03-26-2011 11:44 AM

mdbee

Glad you don't have access to my multimeters!:D