Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Transom fender

I'm trying to figure out how to protect the sugar scoop transom from the dinghy as opposed to something as significant as a dock. The Taylor Made transom fenders are way more than necessary. Just a pad that would prevent scratches from the d-rings, etc would be all that is necessary. It also takes a bit of a beating when lowering from the davits. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Bummer. 158 views and no ideas. Me either. Gotta figure this out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 03-27-2011
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Would it be practical to fashion some sort of D ring protection on the dinghy itself? Maybe less area to deal with?

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 03-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1414 View Post
Would it be practical to fashion some sort of D ring protection on the dinghy itself? Maybe less area to deal with?
Yes, I think I'm going to wrap bicycle handlebar tape around the d-rings, or some such padded tape. Although, that doesn't really solve the problem of the dinghy sliding down the transom when lowered from the davits.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-27-2011
..........huh?..

I wonder for your davit drop, if you could quickly rig some simple lines from your davit arms to your transom for the dinghy to slide down to the water.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy
Old 03-27-2011

It's really just the bottom horizontal part of the transom scoop that is the issue. There are pushpit braces and the backstays that is slides down until that point. Same part of the transom that the dinghy knocks into. Of course, if the engine gets turned around, that can be a disaster (and it happened once).

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-27-2011

Here is a pic of the transom if it helps with anyone's creativity. It's from the prior owner, so I sprayed out his hailport.

Transom fender-transom-steps.jpg

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-27-2011
..........huh?..

Don't know what all you've tried but it looks like a spare regular fender tied off of each of your pushpit braces at the right height would do the trick. Maybe tied together at the bottom to keep them at the correct angles and in place and keep them from spreading. I'm coming at this from the standpoint that you'll want to try simple solutions that don't involve much in the way of extra gear that you have to stow when not in use.

Old 03-27-2011

Thanks Izzy. Regular fenders roll out of position too easily and also create a larger step from the dink back aboard. When lowering from the davits, anything too big just prevents it from lowering at all. I think I may have found the solution in this. I may require a little modification to sweep the curvature, but I think it will work.

Hull Hugr Small Folding Boat Fender | Boat Fender

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 03-27-2011
..........huh?..

Only 40 bucks?!! That's nearly free in boat dollars! Looks like a good solution ... protects exactly the area you're concerned with, should stay in place and stow nicely .... win, win, win. Good luck.