Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A manual pump would be perfectly acceptable. Just to be sure, isnt' there a small cabin in front? Not exactly the same as a laser or sunfish with bailing cups.

Is the cockpit floor right on the hull, no deck? If you meant that you can see into the cabin bilge, there can be a reason for an auto, since that probably isn't totally clear.

Nevertheless, manual is still fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
What are the legal requirements where you sail?

Me, my personal option would be a manual bailing device (hand pump or bucket, depending upon requirements) and a really good sponge.

Rik
Old 03-29-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I think that you need a 30,000 GPH gas powered pump with auto sensors, auto start, and Internet connection to alert SAR. Optionally, you could add auto-inflate, auto-deployable airbags with rocket deployed flare launchers

Seriously, a bucket is very adequate (you need one anyway). For real luxury, you can use Whale Gusher or equivalent. On our first boat, a GP-14, we only had a bucket. I worked two several rental yards and we only supplied a bucket for up to 18'. The beauty of small boats is that they don't hold much water and a bucket will evacuate the boat very fast. Our last boat, a Sabre 28, only had a manual pump. I am fanatical about any water intrusion as a result. Leaks don't "just happen", there is nearly always a warning sign of some sort.
Old 03-29-2011
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for the fantastic replies!

I think I will go with a manual pump like a Whale Gusher. I will have it mounted so that pump can be used from the cockpit.

A Montgomery 17 isn't really a daysailer although it is a small boat. In the recent past, a M17 has been single handed half way around the world. It's the tank of small trailerable sailboats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 03-30-2011

scotthenry is on a distinguished road
On my Monty-17 there was a sump in the keel behind the centerboard trunk. I put in one of the whale thru-deck manual pumps. 1" hose was the biggest that would go to the bottom of the sump. I rarely used it except for testing...
Old 03-30-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
On my Monty 17, I just had a bucket to bail. I never needed it. I sailed it on a lake so I reasoned that I could run aground faster than I could bail.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-30-2011
Montgomery 17

"run aground faster than I could bail" thats pretty funny!

I plan on heading down to the Florida Key's in the fall with every intention to hop over to the Bahamas if I get a weather window. I think I may need more than a bucket, but what do I really know?

I will probably go with the Whale Gusher with the 1" hose run into the sump. Thanks scott for the confirmation.

Old 03-30-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perithead View Post
"run aground faster than I could bail" thats pretty funny!

I plan on heading down to the Florida Key's in the fall with every intention to hop over to the Bahamas if I get a weather window. I think I may need more than a bucket, but what do I really know?

I will probably go with the Whale Gusher with the 1" hose run into the sump. Thanks scott for the confirmation.
That is a good way to go. If I had kept my Monty, that is what I would have done. That is a fun little boat, I am jealous.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 03-30-2011
Montgomery 17

Your jealous? With that mamoth you are sailing around in? Beautiful boat, and a ketch is so unique looking....

Old 03-31-2011

scraph is on a distinguished road
There is another train of thought that is, in my mind, equally logical to 'its a small boat so bring a bucket'. That train of thought is ... the smaller the boat, the less water it takes to sink it, and the faster it will sink. Small bilge pumps (automatic or manual) are really no different in the fact that they won't keep up with any amount of active flooding. If you are only talking about small capacity bilge pumps and you simply want them for the convenience of routinely removing water from the bilge that has accumulated some inventory ... it doesn't matter which you get ... and a bucket would work just as well.

If your intention is to install a bilge pump as a safety item then you want more than one, you want a small automatic one, and you want the other/s to be of reasonable capacity. The small automatic bilge pump would serve the purpose of routine dewatering (lesser power requirements for routine operation) but would also serve as a warning if you are experiencing flooding (the pump starts to run and keeps running...). I have a 20' powerboat, in addition to the sailboat, and the design basis for my bilge pump capacity is to be able to keep up with the flood rate if my largest and deepest thru-hull is wide open into the bilge (and they do). Any less than that and you might as well not worry about it ... because your bilge pump isn't a safety item anymore.