Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The pressure gauge is not there to warn you of a leak but to allow a leak test to be done periodically. The sniffer will warn you of a leak long before your nose will.
And yes, if you are heading to other nations CNG is not found in most. It is not that easy to find in North America even.
Old 03-29-2011

solman55 is on a distinguished road
here is an old photo looking into the cabin, directly to the right here you see the keys laying is the alcohol stove I figure I could trim a bit of that out to make a slightly larger hole to fit a stove and oven combo. What do you think?
1980 watkins 27 centerboard sailboat for sale in Florida

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011

Thats the link to the boat before I bought it and no I spent no where near 12k for it lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 03-29-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The pressure gauge is not there to warn you of a leak but to allow a leak test to be done periodically. The sniffer will warn you of a leak long before your nose will.
And yes, if you are heading to other nations CNG is not found in most. It is not that easy to find in North America even.
Am I wrong here ? I was under the impression that if a leak develops anywhere in the system the gauge will show a drop in pressure. That is certainly how the fellow who approved our installation put it to me.

I am in no way knocking a sniffer but we don't have a solenoid.

We do turn gas off at bottle after use.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-29-2011
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Am I wrong here ? I was under the impression that if a leak develops anywhere in the system the gauge will show a drop in pressure. That is certainly how the fellow who approved our installation put it to me.
if the tank valve is turned off it will show a drop in pressure. If the tank valve is turned on, it could drain most of the tank before it shows much of a drop in pressure. At least that's the way I understand it.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-29-2011

baboon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
Using a pressure gauge to warn of a leak inside the boat? A leak might let a lot of gas end up in your bilge before you noticed a change in pressure. .
The pressure gauge is for testing, not for ongoing use. You turn off the appliance, open the tank valve to presurize the system, then shut off the tank and pressure should hold. If it drops you have a leak.
Old 03-29-2011

baboon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by solman55 View Post
here is an old photo looking into the cabin, directly to the right here you see the keys laying is the alcohol stove I figure I could trim a bit of that out to make a slightly larger hole to fit a stove and oven combo. What do you think?
1980 watkins 27 centerboard sailboat for sale in Florida
Your set up is the same as mine, including the drawer and cabinet below. There are several drop in options for a 2 burner cooktop that would require little if any modifications. Because a non pressurized cooktop has no tank or plumbing it would be the quickest. An oven instal would be pretty easy, but you would lose the storage below. It just depends on your priorities. Here is my set up with the cookmate in place. Non pressurized alcohol cooktops will not flare the way the older pump up ones do. By the way, that is a pretty nice boat, a lot younger looking than its 20+ years.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach...1&d=1301446733
Attached Thumbnails
Alcohol to LPG-dsc_0004.jpg  

Last edited by baboon; 03-29-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-29-2011

Thats a nice install. Mine is a pressurized alcohol stove so I have been a bit concerned with it flaring up on me I like that setup and for the price that would work just fine. Cause I really don't do tons of oven work and figure if its to rocky to cook I can just have a sandwich. Is there a way I could gimbal it? I like that cause the storage is nice and I also have a seacock there that I would rather not block. She is looking a lot better now. All new interior I just have to finish the floor and not sure what I am going to do about the galley top. The boat is stout I bought it because in 1980 that is when watkins was bought by aeroglass and that particular year they doubled the thickness of the glass and mine is one of 5 cb models that I could find so it is super stable and heavy. Thanks for the info about how long can you cook before you run out of alcohol?

Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy

Last edited by solman55; 03-29-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you want to stick with Alcohol, the non pressurized is the way to go. We ran a pressurized stove for years.. we solved the flare up issue but the oven was useless. You can also safely use Methyl Hydrate in the non pressure stoves - it's a fraction of the cost of the fuel intended for pressurized.

However since we've gone to propane there's no way we'd go back. If you do go that route and decide to get a gimballed stove, we find the Force 10 quite good although the oven is on the small side if you're trying to feed more than a couple. Be aware that Force 10 (and maybe others) make a 'euro' model that's an inch or so narrower that might be a better fit.

From your pics it looks like you could fit one in there if you wanted to.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2011

I may look into that. I am going to weigh the options to see what I want to do, I like the price of the alcohol rig but the propane rig could be nice to. I will definatly look into both the euro model may be the way to go cause I want to save as much space as possible. Well I guess while I am talking galley what about a 110/12v refrig just enough to keep some basics cool any ideas?
Thanks

Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy