Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2011

tap is on a distinguished road
Oars for dinghy

I purchased a used inflatable dinghy that didn't come with the stock oars. It's a Silvermarine Nemo 250, 8' 2". What would be the proper oar length for a dinghy this size?

The oarlock is a metal pin that goes through the oar and then there is a cap that screws onto the end of the pin to hold the oar on. I think these are the same oarlocks as used on Mercury inflatables. Do I need a special oar for this? Or can I just get a wooden oar and drill a hole in it at the appropriate place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you expect to generally have two people aboard the dinghy most times just get some canoe paddles... it's much easier for two to paddle than to row these things.. Even alone you can scull from the bow with a single paddle if you don't have far to go.

With the oarlocks often the tubes themselves interfere with the shortish oars that are provided. The longest oars you can carry would probably be best and you may be able to adapt the pin to a standard wooden oar.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2011

Hadn't thought of using paddles.

Defender has some Mercury oars for a 240 dinghy for $43 (but they don't say how long they are) and a 5.5' jointed aluminum oar a oarlock hole for $45. Locally I can get wooden oars about 6' for around $15. And a jointed 6.5' wooden oar for $22. Half the price or less, not counting what it will cost to ship the oars.

Of course, I don't know if the wooden ones can work with a hole. Will they just split?
Old 03-31-2011

Silvermarine responded to my email. They sent a nice high-res picture of the oar and said, "it is aluminium material, 2 knots and 1.44m in length." Not sure what 2 knots means. Maybe they mean two parts, as it's clearly jointed in the middle. Rather short it seems.

I think I'll try some 6' wooden oars which I can carry in the same space under the cockpit the deflated dinghy fits in. I should be able to approximate the intended position of the oarlock pin hole from the picture.
Old 04-01-2011

Shortman is on a distinguished road
As someone who primarily rows a hard dinghy but has a (Mercury) inflatable for cruises crossing open water, I second the notion of longer is better because the tubes do get in the way. I don't own an outboard because I don't want to have to maintain it, carry gas, etc.
I made a pair with some 1-1/2" sq. oak and plywood blades reinforced with fiberglass. If making again, I would make longer. Mercury oars are 61 - 62". Ones I made are 69".
Rows OK, but not in any kind of breeze.
Old 04-02-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
Somehow I think I have two sets of oars for my inflatable dinghy. I'll check, if I do you are welcome to the second set.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 04-07-2011

Gary, thanks for the offer. Unless you're local to Seattle the cost to ship some oars probably is more than their worth.

Shortman, what did you do for the oarlocks? Just drill a hole in the oar to go onto the oarlock pin? Or did you do something to reinforce it?

I'm worried that the oar will split with a 10mm (pin is slightly over 3/8") hole in it. I was thinking of wrapping fiberglass around it or maybe some line. Seems like there must have been a technique from before fiberglass and aluminum when spars were made of wood for when you wanted a hole in the spar and didn't want it to split. I'm envisioning a service of tightly coiled marline with some sort of Turk's head around the hole, sealed to the oar with shellac. Probably will not turn out looking as nice in real life as it does in my head.

Or maybe a hammered copper band for reinforcement. I saw this on tv, Episode Guide - Season 3, Episode 310 - Woodsmith Shop, where they used a bit of copper pipe to make a nice looking band to hold a wooden tool handle closed.

I'll be sure to get at least 6' oars whatever I do.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.