SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   GPS Plotter recommendations. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/73284-gps-plotter-recommendations.html)

palomar 04-01-2011 03:47 PM

GPS Plotter recommendations.

What are you using? or what do you wish you had and why?
Trying to decide between using a handheld GPS or installing something.
Boat will be used in BVI so its more of a need & handy gadget then a necessity.

delite 04-01-2011 04:05 PM

We just added a Lowrance Elite 5 for about $550 that included all the charts from Mexico to Alaska, including BC. If this had been a Garmin product we would have spent that on the maps alone. Seems to me the real expense is maps at least in Canada. The Elite 5 does not allow other inputs such as Radar but does allow it to be connected to a DSC VHF. This is more than sufficient for our needs. I wish it had battery info like our previous GPS did but not that big of a deal.

palomar 04-01-2011 05:04 PM

Standard Horizon CP300/300i Chart Plotter
something like this maybe..

delite 04-01-2011 06:31 PM

That is more than what we bought as it has a radar input and other expansion abilities. The model 1 down would seem to be a better comparison. Here is what we bought Fishfinder, GPS Chartplotter | LOWRANCE Elite-5
It comes with a sonar we will be mounting inside the hull

Minnewaska 04-02-2011 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palomar (Post 715570)
What are you using? or what do you wish you had and why?
Trying to decide between using a handheld GPS or installing something.
Boat will be used in BVI so its more of a need & handy gadget then a necessity.

Why not throw the Ipad into this discussion as well. Multi-function, with email access, internet weather, etc. Get a waterproof case. Ram mounting available too. I'm experimenting (as a backup), it just arrived yesterday.

chef2sail 04-02-2011 04:35 AM

Installed a Raymaribe E120 2 years ago....love itsflexibility and that it interfaces with radar as well as weather. I prefer the inerface with my other instruments as my main source

I also would like a backup tablet, but am waiting till later this summer when two or three of the new android tablets come out ( LG Nexus is one). When comparing the apple i phones with the android ones I got a droid and feel the tablets will follow suit. ( i am waiting for the new HTC pyrimid) No sense in switching to apple propreitary products here. I am not putting them down as they are quite good just my personal preference. Having a a backup "pad" down below I think is a good idea plus I wont need my laptop anymore.

Always have paper charts though and use them first., but the plotter is more than a map, and the tablet is more than a plotter.

Dave

Minnewaska 04-02-2011 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chef2sail (Post 715712)
I also would like a backup tablet, but am waiting till later this summer when two or three of the new android tablets come out ( LG Nexus is one). When comparing the apple i phones with the android ones I got a droid and feel the tablets will follow suit. ( i am waiting for the new HTC pyrimid) No sense in switching to apple propreitary products here.

I questioned the same, but came down on the IPad, since it is the market leader and most apps are written for it first, then adapted to the droid, etc.

It's a funny turnabout. For desktops, PC is clearly the leader, but MAC users swear their's is superior. Just the opposite phenomena for pads.

BTW, this is my first post with the IPad (took three tries so far) :)

prroots 04-02-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palomar (Post 715598)
Standard Horizon CP300/300i Chart Plotter
something like this maybe..

I purchased a Garmin 441s and am now having a bit of buyer's remorse. The reason has to do with the fact that I'd like to use my laptop at Nav station as primary and the chartplotter as backup. The problem arises with the Explorer charts of the Bahamas (which are generally agreed to be the best charts of the Bahamas). The 441s chartplotter comes with those charts included, but now I have no way to access them with the laptop. On the other hand, had I purchased something like the Standard Horizon you referenced, the C-map chips can be used by both the chartplotter and laptop. This allows you to buy the chips once, but use them either way. That appeals to me. Anyway, this is a vote for the Standard Horizon if you wish to use both a PC and dedicated chartplotter and share the chips between them. Here is a quote from the makers of the Explorer charts:
Quote:

At this time our Explorer data is only available electronically through Nobeltec, C-Map and Garmin, but not in BSB format.
What makes the C-Map chip option unique is the ability to read them with both dedicated chartplotter and Nav software running on a PC. Note: to avail yourself of this capability you must purchase a C-map c-card reader and compatible Nav software.
Pete

ebs001 04-02-2011 06:52 AM

I have a Raymarine 65 as my plotter and also run Maptech using Maptech cartography on my PC, an old IBM Thinkpad with Windows98, conected to a handheld GPS. I have always like the idea of having two different sources of information and having a backup system. I like alot of the C-Map cartography but the software to run it on a PC is prohibitive. I am considering buying a Standard Horizon CP500 which uses C-Map ( I have C-Map chips from my previous plotter) and Fugawi for my PC and use the Navionics card from my Ray. I have found a source of 12 volt computers on which I can customize the ports so that I can get serial ports as well as USB.
In order to run both a plotter and a PC at the same time you need to have 2 chips.

prroots 04-02-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebs001 (Post 715729)
I like alot of the C-Map cartography but the software to run it on a PC is prohibitive. I am considering buying a Standard Horizon CP500 which uses C-Map

Thanks for the interesting info. Not sure what you consider prohibitive, but several people have recommended the PC program, NavPak Professional Edition, which costs 248 (Purchase NavPak and MapSetup) which is able to read all C-map chips via a c-card reader.

I also inherited a couple of C-map chips from the discarded Raymarine chartplotter than came with the boat.
Pete