Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-01-2011

palomar is on a distinguished road
GPS Plotter recommendations.

What are you using? or what do you wish you had and why?
Trying to decide between using a handheld GPS or installing something.
Boat will be used in BVI so its more of a need & handy gadget then a necessity.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-01-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
We just added a Lowrance Elite 5 for about $550 that included all the charts from Mexico to Alaska, including BC. If this had been a Garmin product we would have spent that on the maps alone. Seems to me the real expense is maps at least in Canada. The Elite 5 does not allow other inputs such as Radar but does allow it to be connected to a DSC VHF. This is more than sufficient for our needs. I wish it had battery info like our previous GPS did but not that big of a deal.
Old 04-01-2011

palomar is on a distinguished road
Standard Horizon CP300/300i Chart Plotter
something like this maybe..
Old 04-01-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
That is more than what we bought as it has a radar input and other expansion abilities. The model 1 down would seem to be a better comparison. Here is what we bought Fishfinder, GPS Chartplotter | LOWRANCE Elite-5
It comes with a sonar we will be mounting inside the hull
Old 04-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomar View Post
What are you using? or what do you wish you had and why?
Trying to decide between using a handheld GPS or installing something.
Boat will be used in BVI so its more of a need & handy gadget then a necessity.
Why not throw the Ipad into this discussion as well. Multi-function, with email access, internet weather, etc. Get a waterproof case. Ram mounting available too. I'm experimenting (as a backup), it just arrived yesterday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-02-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Installed a Raymaribe E120 2 years ago....love itsflexibility and that it interfaces with radar as well as weather. I prefer the inerface with my other instruments as my main source

I also would like a backup tablet, but am waiting till later this summer when two or three of the new android tablets come out ( LG Nexus is one). When comparing the apple i phones with the android ones I got a droid and feel the tablets will follow suit. ( i am waiting for the new HTC pyrimid) No sense in switching to apple propreitary products here. I am not putting them down as they are quite good just my personal preference. Having a a backup "pad" down below I think is a good idea plus I wont need my laptop anymore.

Always have paper charts though and use them first., but the plotter is more than a map, and the tablet is more than a plotter.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-02-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I also would like a backup tablet, but am waiting till later this summer when two or three of the new android tablets come out ( LG Nexus is one). When comparing the apple i phones with the android ones I got a droid and feel the tablets will follow suit. ( i am waiting for the new HTC pyrimid) No sense in switching to apple propreitary products here.
I questioned the same, but came down on the IPad, since it is the market leader and most apps are written for it first, then adapted to the droid, etc.

It's a funny turnabout. For desktops, PC is clearly the leader, but MAC users swear their's is superior. Just the opposite phenomena for pads.

BTW, this is my first post with the IPad (took three tries so far)

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-02-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by palomar View Post
Standard Horizon CP300/300i Chart Plotter
something like this maybe..
I purchased a Garmin 441s and am now having a bit of buyer's remorse. The reason has to do with the fact that I'd like to use my laptop at Nav station as primary and the chartplotter as backup. The problem arises with the Explorer charts of the Bahamas (which are generally agreed to be the best charts of the Bahamas). The 441s chartplotter comes with those charts included, but now I have no way to access them with the laptop. On the other hand, had I purchased something like the Standard Horizon you referenced, the C-map chips can be used by both the chartplotter and laptop. This allows you to buy the chips once, but use them either way. That appeals to me. Anyway, this is a vote for the Standard Horizon if you wish to use both a PC and dedicated chartplotter and share the chips between them. Here is a quote from the makers of the Explorer charts:
Quote:
At this time our Explorer data is only available electronically through Nobeltec, C-Map and Garmin, but not in BSB format.
What makes the C-Map chip option unique is the ability to read them with both dedicated chartplotter and Nav software running on a PC. Note: to avail yourself of this capability you must purchase a C-map c-card reader and compatible Nav software.
Pete
Old 04-02-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
I have a Raymarine 65 as my plotter and also run Maptech using Maptech cartography on my PC, an old IBM Thinkpad with Windows98, conected to a handheld GPS. I have always like the idea of having two different sources of information and having a backup system. I like alot of the C-Map cartography but the software to run it on a PC is prohibitive. I am considering buying a Standard Horizon CP500 which uses C-Map ( I have C-Map chips from my previous plotter) and Fugawi for my PC and use the Navionics card from my Ray. I have found a source of 12 volt computers on which I can customize the ports so that I can get serial ports as well as USB.
In order to run both a plotter and a PC at the same time you need to have 2 chips.
Old 04-02-2011
Beneteau 411

prroots is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I like alot of the C-Map cartography but the software to run it on a PC is prohibitive. I am considering buying a Standard Horizon CP500 which uses C-Map
Thanks for the interesting info. Not sure what you consider prohibitive, but several people have recommended the PC program, NavPak Professional Edition, which costs 248 (Purchase NavPak and MapSetup) which is able to read all C-map chips via a c-card reader.

I also inherited a couple of C-map chips from the discarded Raymarine chartplotter than came with the boat.
Pete

Last edited by prroots; 04-02-2011 at 07:09 AM.