Replacing seacoks + how to grind down old fiberglass around old gate valves. - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-04-2011

nigglesworth is on a distinguished road
Replacing seacoks + how to grind down old fiberglass around old gate valves.

I am working on replacing my original seacocks and through holes on my 1978 Catalina 27. I was able to get my water intake out and cleared no problem. The other two are gate valves that are a piece of copper tubing that runs flush with the exterior hull (pic included). As far as I can tell, there is no backing plate and they just built up fiberglass around the joint.

Would love to hear from any other catalina owners that have encountered this. I would also like to know what the best way to chip, sand or grind down the built up fiberglass so that I can start fresh from the hull. I have a pic or two below if that helps.

Nigel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2011

Here are the pics

Nigel

MobileMe Gallery
Old 04-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Angle grinder. but take your time, those things have a mind of their own.
Old 04-04-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
I have a disk of 16 grit sandpaper that I use in an arbor on my drill. It should work if you don't have access to a grinder.

BTW- YOUR pic #1;

and YOUR pic #2;

Last edited by eherlihy; 04-04-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Hard to tell but it looks like there might be a flange on the inside of the hull that was glassed over in the first pic. Take a die grinder or even a chisel and try to find the outer edge of the flange and either grind all the fiberglass away or cut a circle around it with a cut off wheel. You should then be able to twist the fitting to get it out (hopefully).

Edit: Based on the enlarged photos there might not be a flange at all. A die grinder bit (bullet shaped) works well in a drill if you don't have an actual grinder.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Last edited by jrd22; 04-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2011
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
I removed one of these typical early Catalina volcano thruhulls from my C22 last year. I used a sawzall to cut the volcano horizontally near-flush at its base and then used the grinder to finish up. See footnote * below before proceeding.

Less grinding/mess that way.

I probably have a snapshot of the first cut somewhere if you're interested. I think I used a metal cutting blade in the sawzall.

* I can pretty much guarantee there's no flange either. Grasp the valve with a large crescent wrench and turn it - it will surprise you easily it turns free and you can then pull it up and out, valve, tube, and all. That's what I did based on the concerns I'd read about how dangerous that particular installation method was (prone to failure).

Last edited by AboardIndigo; 04-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
This was typical Catalina construction of the era. They basically glassed pipe nipples into the hull as thru-hulls. Nearly all of them have either leaked or been replaced for obvious reasons. A Fein Multi-Master or some of their knock offs like the Rockwell would do the job in no time flat as would and angle grinder. You do need to get the old nipple out though and that happens far to easily with a pipe wrench on the nipple...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-04-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Used an angle grinder on mine. Only took a few mins. It was tricky getting the nipple out.
Old 04-04-2011
Itz That Eazy!!!

L02314564 is on a distinguished road
Talking I used an oops Arbor for mine.

I used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to cut the old gate valve off from the inside. Then used the sawsall to cut the wall of the nipple to the line of the fiberglass hull. (for the first one I took out) What a mistake that was!

For the second one, I used an Oops Arbor to cut a proper sized thru-hole around the old one from the outside. Once the thru-hole was cut, I finished the removal of the gatevalve with the angle grinder by grinding away what little fiberglass was still left around it. The process of removing one from start to finish takes about 20 minutes. Easy cleanup too.
1976 Catalina 27 #2684
Old 04-04-2011

Wink amazing!

From what I have been able to find, it sounds like there is no flange on the outer hull. This is partly why it is suggested to replace them as they can be prone to failure.

I think I might try the hole saw first, then sawsall or angle grinder. The nipple is only 1/2 and the materials I have are all 3/4". Previous owner bought all the materials and left me with the hard job

Thanks for all the feedback. You've renewed my confidence... until I hit the next roadblock of course! Too many spring projects on my list.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.