SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cleaning Dodger (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/73463-cleaning-dodger.html)

sailjunkie 04-07-2011 10:02 PM

Cleaning Dodger

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to clean a dodger that is in fairly good shape? Last year, we tried pressure washing with mixed results.

This year, we are leaning towards scrubbing. I know that Oxcalic Acid works great on sails, but have some doubts about using this on fabric. Other than plain old soap and water, does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Faster 04-07-2011 10:21 PM

WOOLITE.....WOOLITE......lukewarm water and a good little brush.

Pressure washing will destroy the fill and it will leak. Regular detergent will damage it too. Don't use the oxalic either.

From the supplier:

Sunbrella: Marine tops and covers

Minnewaska 04-08-2011 06:35 AM

I like Tuf-Enuf for the canvas. Water and vinegar only for glass.

fawcettm 04-08-2011 02:23 PM

We just threw ours and our bimini in the washing machine, came out looking great. I was told this was ok from the people who made it, and they have been making these for about 30 years so I took it as gospel

Mark

SVCarolena 04-08-2011 02:40 PM

If it is Sunbrella, I strongly suggest following the directions in the link that Faster provided. And after it is clean, use some of the 303 protectant that is recomended - it will waterproof the fabric and help keep dirt at bay. 303 is the only protectant endorsed by the makers of Sunbrella, and the fact that it isn't even made by them give me some comfort as to its compatibility.

paul323 04-08-2011 03:50 PM

Woolite, then 303 fabric guard...

chef2sail 04-08-2011 04:54 PM

Woolite.... then 303....space age protectant for the windows ( IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish)

Dave

sailjunkie 04-08-2011 11:02 PM

Many thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

Faster, I particularly appreciate the link to Sunbrella's web site. The PO of our boat wasn't sure what fabric the dodger was made of, but I'm guessing Sunbrella.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Minnewaska 04-09-2011 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailjunkie (Post 718418)
....The PO of our boat wasn't sure what fabric the dodger was made of, but I'm guessing Sunbrella......

There several knockoffs, so no way to guess. Although, I'm not sure it will impact the input you've received.

Just to be clear, I assume there is glass on your dodger? That shouldn't be scrubbed with anything, especially if it is strataglass. Eisenglass can theoretically be polished if scratched.

chef2sail 04-09-2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear, I assume there is glass on your dodger? That shouldn't be scrubbed with anything, especially if it is strataglass -Minnewasaka
When my wife made our dodger/ bimini and side panels she sewed in Stratglass. It is great, very clear and almost like a real glass window. It does however take a little extra care. I am sure what Minnewaska was saying here was clean your glass in a special manner especially if it is Strataslass. use of the special cleaner, wax, SOFT COTTON cloths and lots of water are importatnt. And then the polishing really keeps it looking new all the time. Different quality glasses use diferent products. Best advice I can give is wash you windows with water as much as possible and cover when not in use. Especially the dodger

Below are the instructions from IMAR and Strataglass as how to clean and polish it

Flush thoroughly to cool the surface and rinse away environmental abrasives. Wash with IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate, or other equally gentle and high quality soap. Do not use Simple Green, Or pine or any other harsh cleaner - they will dull the surface. Apply the soapy water to the clear vinyl section of the curtain with special purpose washing mitt or soft cotton cloths. Thoroughly rinse the soapy solution with fresh water and completely dry the curtains with a high quality chamois. (Swobbit.com makes several tools to make these tasks easier.) Your clear vinyl curtains should be washed whenever your boat is washed. After washing the curtains, apply IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish sparingly with small, light circular motions using a soft cotton cloth. Allow the polish to dry and then remove with a clean soft cotton cloth. Finally, lightly buff to a sparkling shine. Done. For routine maintenance between polishing, use IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner. Insure the clear vinyl panels are free of abrasives. Very lightly mist a soft cotton cloth. Lightly and briskly rub a manageable sized area and then lightly buff dry with another clean cloth. Done

Dave