Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-07-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Cleaning Dodger

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to clean a dodger that is in fairly good shape? Last year, we tried pressure washing with mixed results.

This year, we are leaning towards scrubbing. I know that Oxcalic Acid works great on sails, but have some doubts about using this on fabric. Other than plain old soap and water, does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
WOOLITE.....WOOLITE......lukewarm water and a good little brush.

Pressure washing will destroy the fill and it will leak. Regular detergent will damage it too. Don't use the oxalic either.

From the supplier:

Sunbrella: Marine tops and covers

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I like Tuf-Enuf for the canvas. Water and vinegar only for glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2011

fawcettm is on a distinguished road
We just threw ours and our bimini in the washing machine, came out looking great. I was told this was ok from the people who made it, and they have been making these for about 30 years so I took it as gospel

Mark
Old 04-08-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
If it is Sunbrella, I strongly suggest following the directions in the link that Faster provided. And after it is clean, use some of the 303 protectant that is recomended - it will waterproof the fabric and help keep dirt at bay. 303 is the only protectant endorsed by the makers of Sunbrella, and the fact that it isn't even made by them give me some comfort as to its compatibility.
Old 04-08-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Woolite, then 303 fabric guard...
Old 04-08-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Woolite.... then 303....space age protectant for the windows ( IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish)

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-08-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Many thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

Faster, I particularly appreciate the link to Sunbrella's web site. The PO of our boat wasn't sure what fabric the dodger was made of, but I'm guessing Sunbrella.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 04-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjunkie View Post
....The PO of our boat wasn't sure what fabric the dodger was made of, but I'm guessing Sunbrella......
There several knockoffs, so no way to guess. Although, I'm not sure it will impact the input you've received.

Just to be clear, I assume there is glass on your dodger? That shouldn't be scrubbed with anything, especially if it is strataglass. Eisenglass can theoretically be polished if scratched.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-09-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
Just to be clear, I assume there is glass on your dodger? That shouldn't be scrubbed with anything, especially if it is strataglass -Minnewasaka
When my wife made our dodger/ bimini and side panels she sewed in Stratglass. It is great, very clear and almost like a real glass window. It does however take a little extra care. I am sure what Minnewaska was saying here was clean your glass in a special manner especially if it is Strataslass. use of the special cleaner, wax, SOFT COTTON cloths and lots of water are importatnt. And then the polishing really keeps it looking new all the time. Different quality glasses use diferent products. Best advice I can give is wash you windows with water as much as possible and cover when not in use. Especially the dodger

Below are the instructions from IMAR and Strataglass as how to clean and polish it

Flush thoroughly to cool the surface and rinse away environmental abrasives. Wash with IMAR Yacht Soap Concentrate, or other equally gentle and high quality soap. Do not use Simple Green, Or pine or any other harsh cleaner - they will dull the surface. Apply the soapy water to the clear vinyl section of the curtain with special purpose washing mitt or soft cotton cloths. Thoroughly rinse the soapy solution with fresh water and completely dry the curtains with a high quality chamois. (Swobbit.com makes several tools to make these tasks easier.) Your clear vinyl curtains should be washed whenever your boat is washed. After washing the curtains, apply IMAR Strataglass Protective Polish sparingly with small, light circular motions using a soft cotton cloth. Allow the polish to dry and then remove with a clean soft cotton cloth. Finally, lightly buff to a sparkling shine. Done. For routine maintenance between polishing, use IMAR Strataglass Protective Cleaner. Insure the clear vinyl panels are free of abrasives. Very lightly mist a soft cotton cloth. Lightly and briskly rub a manageable sized area and then lightly buff dry with another clean cloth. Done

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner