Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-08-2011

HBBurlington is on a distinguished road
Holding Tanks - Poly or Stainless???

We are new CS owners...and would like objective feedback about holding tanks.
Stainless?
Poly?
Pro's and con's, please??

I just don't want "that smell" when we board....
Oh yeah... and only "#1" will be involved.

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-2011
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
I do not know about the pros and cons too much, but I believe "the smell" is usually from the hoses or due to a clogged vent, not coming through the tank walls themselves. I do not think the tank material matters all that much in regards to smell.
Old 04-08-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Smell will permeate bladders, but I have high hopes for the poly tank I put in a year ago. So far so good. I haven't read of anyone reporting good plastic tanks getting permeated. Hoses are definitely an offender--get the good ones.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 04-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you can, go with Stainless, but that isn't absolutely necessary. What is absolutely necessary is the largest vent line you can manage. Then, never put any chemicals of any kind in the tank. No deodorants, bleach, soap, nothing. You need good bacteria to break down the stuff and that will over run the smelly bacteria. Any chemicals kill the good bacteria. Also, very important is to flush enough water (fresh or salt) to push all the waste to the tank. This is the typical cause of smells that permeate the waste lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-08-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Do not use stainless steel for holding tanks since the acids eat them up quite quickly and besides the heavy plastic tanks are less likely to transmit smells and are quieter.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-08-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
I second Minnewaska, except the stainless choice. I don't know about the merits of stainless over polyethylene for holding tank application. Whichever you go with, make sure you get a strong tank that can withstand the vacuum from dock pump-out. Seamless pure polyethylene of 3/8" thickness would be my choice.

Odor, as others pointed out, can be prevented by:
- Good quality sanitation hoses. Make sure there are no sags and low points in the lines where waste could stand in the hose.
- Good ventilation inside the holding tank. You want aerobic bacteria to overrun the unaerobic ones.
- Flushing with sea water will cause a smell in the head. If you have a choice, flush with fresh water at least before leaving the boat for a while. Pump enough flushing water to rinse the hoses completely.
Old 04-08-2011
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Do not use stainless steel for holding tanks since the acids eat them up quite quickly and besides the heavy plastic tanks are less likely to transmit smells and are quieter.

Jeff
I was just about to type the same thing. Go with poly - no worries about crevice corossion and is cheaper than stainless; use the best hose you can find (Trident or Sealand Odorsafe); and install a t at the sink thru-hull so that you have the option of flushing with raw water or fresh from the sink by closing the thru-hull. If you do the last flush of the day/weekend with fresh prior to leaving the boat it will prevent a lot of smells that come from all the stuff living in the raw water. Google "Peggy Hall" - she is the expert on boat odors and heads, and has a great book on the topic. She also frequents some of the boating forums.
Old 04-08-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Or go composting head. Why isn't this an option?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 04-08-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
There are some earlier threads on this board about using solid PVC piping (domestic plumbing) to pipe up heads and those members have had really good results.

That's where I'm heading because I have had enough off bad smells so it plastic thick-wall tanks and solid PVC plumbing wherever possible. as far as I'm concerned even the very best, most expensive, sanitation-grade flexible tubing is all rubbish.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 04-08-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Stainless....are you kidding. Go pee on some and come back a few days later and see what it looks like. Acid etched.

Poly is the way to go. NO seams...

Good quality lines like Trident green stripe. Fresh water if possible. Good bacteria eat up the smell. Large vents like Minne said help.

We completely redid ours last year and oh what a difference...

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner