Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-09-2011
New Guy

TwoD83 is on a distinguished road
Engine Driven Bilge Pump

Greetings! I'm working on a plan to install a belt driven bilge pump off of the engine. I'm planning to use a 7860 GPH "trash" pump with an electromagnetic clutch from a car AC compressor. Does anyone have a similar setup? Any and all input welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Commercial boats around here usually have something similar, but often hydraulic. Certainly possible. What kind of boat do you have?
Old 04-10-2011
New Guy

Good to know. I have a Cheoy Lee Clipper 42 with a Perkins 4108 engine ~50 hp. I don't have hydraulics on the boat, electric should work fine.This pump will be in addition to two electric bilge pumps. The engine driven one will be meant to be the "oh crap, we're sinking!" pump. Every little bit helps. I will definately have some kind of manual back-up to the electric clutch, not sure yet what that will be.
Old 04-10-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Some people use the raw water pump and install a intake line from the bilge to a T in the intake line. I just wonder about the cost and trouble to install a pump so big it could save the boat compared to the actual risk of the boat sinking.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-10-2011
New Guy

I thought about that, but I want the raw water pump to be dedicated for that purpose. Also, when the bilge valve starts leaking you'll either lose the prime on the raw water pump or leak into the bilge. The large centrifugal is also much more tolerant of debris and heavy duty. If there is a hole in the boat large enough to require a pump that size, chances are there will be a good bit of debris in the bilge. A larger pump can also double as a fire pump in an emergency. I plan to take the boat on some long distance/harsh environment sailing. Anything to keep her floating!
Old 04-10-2011

CapitainMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoD83 View Post
I thought about that, but I want the raw water pump to be dedicated for that purpose. Also, when the bilge valve starts leaking you'll either lose the prime on the raw water pump or leak into the bilge. The large centrifugal is also much more tolerant of debris and heavy duty. If there is a hole in the boat large enough to require a pump that size, chances are there will be a good bit of debris in the bilge. A larger pump can also double as a fire pump in an emergency. I plan to take the boat on some long distance/harsh environment sailing. Anything to keep her floating!
Why will the Bilge valve start leaking any more than the seacock that supplies the raw water coolant to the engine if your that concerned fit two two bilge valves in series. If you are going to fit a large pump to the engine don't forget a good strainer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m
"Money won't buy you happiness but it will allow you to buy a yacht big enough to pull up along side it"

"Please God be kind to me your sea is so wide and my boat is so small"
Old 04-10-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
think I heard or read once that more boats sink at dock more then at sea.. "jus sayin"

my current "project"!
Old 04-10-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
They do, whether from snow load, cracked hoses, anti siphons that don't or something else. Neglect plays a big part.
Old 04-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
think I heard or read once that more boats sink at dock more then at sea.. "jus sayin"
Probably the law of averages, since the average boat spends more time at dock than at sea.

However, when you are at sea, your odds of springing a leak are probably the same at the average boat at the dock. You should be less likely to actually sink, since you are there to close the seacock or turn on that badass engine driven bilge pump. Neat idea.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-11-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
badass engine driven bilge pump
I think what you need is a dedicated motor with a supercharger and fueled by nitro-methane

I think that sounds like a reasonable layer of security, especially if you can use it for other purposes (firefighting, washing dishes...)