Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Agree with the "new generation" hype comments. The Rocna and its brethren seem to have a sharper point to initiate burying the anchor and this may be worth something. However, I am not giving up my CQR anytime soon. I carry a danforth for storm purposes, assuming I am not anchoring in a weedy bottom and I also carry a Fortress as a lunch hook. The Fortress has a sharper leading edge than my high tensile danforth and probably penetrates a sandy bottom more quickly.

I also use a smaller Fortress on a 23' power boat and have been caught anchored in a 30+kt squall with excellent results. I once got caught in an 18' catboat in 50 kts with a 6# danforth--also with excellent results on a sandy bottom. However, the Fortress doesn't do so well with a weedy bottom and will "sail" on the way to the bottom in a current or if you are drifting. I've tried the mud palms on the Fortress, too, but they don't seem to do much if you are in a really gooey "black mayonnaise" situation.

With any of these anchors, bottom conditions and technique seems to matter. If you are expecting a wind shift, you might put out a second anchor oriented to handle the shift before its too late.

In any case, no one anchor type seems to be superior in ALL conditions. If conditions are dicey, you need to keep an anchor watch!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

klem is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, the most important characteristics for an anchor are setting ability, resetting/veering and holding power. I have used all of the anchors mentioned in a variety of bottoms and currently have a Rocna as my primary. Comparing the two anchors, a manson sets and resets/veers marginally better and has much better holding power (it has much more blade area). The fortress anchor mentioned earlier in this thread has by far the best holding power but it does not do very well in the reset/veer category which is the reason why I don't consider it an appropriate primary anchor but an excellent second/stern anchor. There are also other factors such as how it sits on the bow roller that the anchors tend to do similarly at.

The delta is a fine anchor and works extremely well if you oversize it enough but pound for pound, I would definitely want the manson supreme when a storm starts brewing.
Old 04-11-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Roger that,
I just bought a 35 lb Delta as a spare anchor. Reading above maybe I should return it and get a 25 lb Mason Supreme. What do you think? Where are the Delta's made?
I would definitely use the Delta or Manson Supreme as your primary anchor and keep the CQR as the spare.
The holding power of a 35LB Delta and 25LB MS will be similar in most seabed’s. Given that your boat can handle a 35Lb anchor my preference would be for a 35Lb Manson Supreme.
When you are at anchor and the wind is howling you wont remember how much the anchor cost.
Old 04-11-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
I would definitely use the Delta or Manson Supreme as your primary anchor and keep the CQR as the spare.
The holding power of a 35LB Delta and 25LB MS will be similar in most seabed’s. Given that your boat can handle a 35Lb anchor my preference would be for a 35Lb Manson Supreme.
When you are at anchor and the wind is howling you wont remember how much the anchor cost.
Yeah, that.

I have a 35# Delta and am quite content with it in the Chessy's muddy bottom. I've only had a a couple of times that required more than one attempt to get it to set and I've anchored through summer squalls that had me pulling on the anchor from every point of the compass.

That said, if I had to buy a new anchor I'd probably opt for a Ronca or MS, but I's still want one that was close to the same weight as my Delta.
Old 04-11-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
Check the Practical Sailor December 2008 for a review of the Rocna and Supreme anchors, which "didn't live up the the marketing hype." That isn't to say they aren't good anchors, but they apparently didn't blow away the competition, either.
Old 04-11-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
As a guy that reads a lot of this stuff and am kind of the perfect customer (semi-informed and close to buying) - I think I'd go with the Manson Supreme purely based on price and performance across many different anchoring conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 04-11-2011

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Religion and Anchors!!!

It's really a very confusing topic and if you do your homework, you will find that it really depends on where you are going to sail, the depth, swell and bottom type. Each anchor has it's edge and is easy to set and holds well when used in the correct environment.

Where I live you pretty much see Delta and Bruce anchors hanging on the front of boats and that may not be the case where you live. There's some practicality involved as Flukes are troublesome to mount and that would go for the Manson Supreme/Rocna also. Both great anchors, in the right conditions and if you can find somewhere to store them.

My take is that the Manson Supreme is a darn nice anchor and if I go on a lengthy cruise, I will have one on board with my Guardian and Bruce. That pretty much covers all the bases.

I think the biggest impact is to properly size the anchor and use enough chain to keep the angle correct. Just going up one size on my Guardian made the difference between a drag-o-matic and holding rock solid. Unfortunately the bigger one doesn't fit my locker so it's down below.
Old 04-11-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
I'm with HeartsContent in that a goodly amount of chain and correcct sizing can make all the difference. ... when we dragged with the Rocna I had 3:1 max out and no snubber. Now .. had I made sure of a generous 3:1 and used the snubber I don't honestly think I'd be talking about the Rocna dragging. In those conditions we were pitching quite badly and my guess is that combined with inadequate scope and without the damping effect of the snubber we simply pulled the anchor up and out.
The difference between that and the 27lb CQR in a blow incident is obvious. There we had good scope and snubber.

ps - Smack ... get a Manson. They are going to be so damn close to the Rocna as to make no real difference and they are cheaper.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 04-11-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2011
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I think any anchor that has a inside curved spade blade with a roll bar like the Rocna and Supreme anchor designs, will probably out perform other anchor designs where they have a bottom condition that lets them dig in...in a rocky bottom they might not be the best choice.
Old 04-12-2011

chall03 will become famous soon enough
I love the fact that anchor threads are the now the new gun threads.....

After weeks of reading I am thinking of just becoming a marina to marina kinda boat....anchors are doing my head in.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family