Delta vs Mansion supreme anchor - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 04-11-2011 Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: delaware
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Delta vs Mansion supreme anchor

I am looking at an anchor for my Jeanneau 42 DS sailboat. considering the Delta and Mansion supreme plow type anchors.

any feedback on these brands.

I anchor in the Chesapeake bay area, both hard and soft mud mostly.
johnnyboy2 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 439
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
The Manson supreme is the "SUPREME" alternative between the 2 options IMHO.
noelex77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 598
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Supreme??

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
The Manson supreme is the "SUPREME" alternative between the 2 options IMHO.
Why oh why?

I use a Delta in the Chessie and am very happy with it.

I know there is a lot of (what I consider) hype about the so-called 'next generation' anchors (the most obnoxious of the hype-generating companies, Rocna, is right now crashing and burning on anythingsailing.com). It so reminds me of the iPhone (AKA JesusPhone) craze.

I am sure the Mansone Supreme is a good anchor but so is the Delta. So is the Bruce.

In very soft mud, actually the good ole Danforth has much to recommend but you did not ask for that...
MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
dabnis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 8,634
Thanks: 2
Thanked 116 Times in 114 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
"obnoxious"? I have been on this forum for about 4 years and
can't remember Craig Smith of Rocna Anchors saying anything
obnoxious or rude about his competitors. Nor have I seen any
negative comments from his customers. He basically states the
facts about his products and refers to tests done by others.
Am I missing something? No affiliation and do not own a Rocna.

Dabnis
dabnis is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 439
Thanks: 3
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Why oh why?

I use a Delta in the Chessie and am very happy with it.

I know there is a lot of (what I consider) hype about the so-called 'next generation' anchors (the most obnoxious of the hype-generating companies, Rocna, is right now crashing and burning on anythingsailing.com). It so reminds me of the iPhone (AKA JesusPhone) craze.

I am sure the Mansone Supreme is a good anchor but so is the Delta. So is the Bruce.

In very soft mud, actually the good ole Danforth has much to recommend but you did not ask for that...

I believe its not hype and the new generation anchors are superior.
I base my decision manly on observing anchor behavior especial when diving on anchors and watching them in real world conditions. I also note which boats drag or have a lot of trouble setting their anchor (assuming adequate technique)
I also respect the view of other cruisers, particularly in face to face discussions, but also the reported performance in forums like these.

I think the Delta is a good anchor an excellent value for money in many parts of the world. It sets well, but I have observed several delta anchors in a very slow drag while the anchor remains set.
In summary I think the Delta s a very reliable anchor in moderate conditions , but I do not believe it has the holding power of the Rocna, Manson supreme and Spade anchors. It is however superior IMHO to the CQR and Bruce generation of anchors.

You have a good point about the Danforth in soft mud it is an excellent anchor. It, however, struggles in harder substrates and weed.
It also sometimes does not maintain its set with major wind shifts and if it drags, it drags very quickly. These latter two characteristics make it less than ideal as a primary anchor
noelex77 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Tim R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 1,543
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 13
 
I would pick the Manson for many reasons but the real difference is its ability to grab the bottom. The delta plows the bottom which opens up the surface of the bottom. The Manson Supreme and Rocna both compress the surface which translates into better holding power.

Imagine a "V" shaped snow plow. It pushes snow to the sides. Now redesign that plow into a "U" shape with the open end in front. That plow will not go far.

And I am on 2 forums that Craig will frequent and have never seen him get obnoxious. Regardless, he produces a great anchor.

Tim R.
Out cruising
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Tim R. is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 598
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"obnoxious"? I have been on this forum for about 4 years and
can't remember Craig Smith of Rocna Anchors saying anything
obnoxious or rude about his competitors. Nor have I seen any
negative comments from his customers. He basically states the
facts about his products and refers to tests done by others.
Am I missing something? No affiliation and do not own a Rocna.

Dabnis
Ehm, 'obnoxious' is a very gentle term for the documented behavior of Craig Smith and probably the Rocna company (as we learned over the last couple days, the relationship between the two turns out to be more complicated than expected). If you want to read about their antics, look for instance into the examples collected by our very own Maine Sail in the AS thread:

Manson vs. Rocna

MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Pamlicotraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Creedmoor NC
Posts: 605
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
 
If there is a "new generation" I would say it is a Fortress. Much lighter and determined to be very effective in the tests mentioned. Made of high-tech materials, thousands of real world tests.

It's a little awkward for my bow with the protruding stocks. So it's my backup.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things y%^&*.....oh never mind. 90% of the people on sailing forums already use that as their signature! I'm not a conformist.
Pamlicotraveler is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 598
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
I believe its not hype and the new generation anchors are superior.
I base my decision manly on observing anchor behavior especial when diving on anchors and watching them in real world conditions. I also note which boats drag or have a lot of trouble setting their anchor (assuming adequate technique)
I also respect the view of other cruisers, particularly in face to face discussions, but also the reported performance in forums like these.

I think the Delta is a good anchor an excellent value for money in many parts of the world. It sets well, but I have observed several delta anchors in a very slow drag while the anchor remains set.
In summary I think the Delta s a very reliable anchor in moderate conditions , but I do not believe it has the holding power of the Rocna, Manson supreme and Spade anchors. It is however superior IMHO to the CQR and Bruce generation of anchors.

You have a good point about the Danforth in soft mud it is an excellent anchor. It, however, struggles in harder substrates and weed.
It also sometimes does not maintain its set with major wind shifts and if it drags, it drags very quickly. These latter two characteristics make it less than ideal as a primary anchor
I think we can agree, overall.

I don't want to say that all anchors are equal in all conditions. Let's be optimistic and even believe that humanity does learn something over time and that the newer anchors do, indeed, have overall some advantages over older models. Many consumer products improve incrementally over time, so this is quite possibly the case for anchors, too.

What I object to is the idea that there is some magical quantum leap in performance between 'next gen' (how I love this word!) anchors and all the rest.

I also agree with you about the weaknesses of the Danforth that you point out.
MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of 62 Old 04-11-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 598
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
If there is a "new generation" I would say it is a Fortress. Much lighter and determined to be very effective in the tests mentioned. Made of high-tech materials, thousands of real world tests.

It's a little awkward for my bow with the protruding stocks. So it's my backup.
Excellent point. And, pound for pound, the test winner pretty much everywhere (except on the Rocna web page where they falsified the test results from the SAIL magazine).

A Fortress is my stern anchor.
MastUndSchotbruch is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manson Supreme Julie303 Gear & Maintenance 78 07-12-2014 04:17 AM
Delta anchor really self launching? danielgoldberg Gear & Maintenance 4 03-07-2010 10:33 AM
Whch anchor is better? Delta or Mushroom? labatt General Discussion (sailing related) 51 01-26-2007 12:51 PM
Delta Anchor nauticalrich General Discussion (sailing related) 11 10-07-2004 01:26 PM
Ca.delta M iso F for sail fun deltacstawy Cruising & Liveaboard Forum 0 02-16-2004 06:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome