Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-11-2011

johnnyboy2 is on a distinguished road
Delta vs Mansion supreme anchor

I am looking at an anchor for my Jeanneau 42 DS sailboat. considering the Delta and Mansion supreme plow type anchors.

any feedback on these brands.

I anchor in the Chesapeake bay area, both hard and soft mud mostly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
The Manson supreme is the "SUPREME" alternative between the 2 options IMHO.
Old 04-11-2011

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Supreme??

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
The Manson supreme is the "SUPREME" alternative between the 2 options IMHO.
Why oh why?

I use a Delta in the Chessie and am very happy with it.

I know there is a lot of (what I consider) hype about the so-called 'next generation' anchors (the most obnoxious of the hype-generating companies, Rocna, is right now crashing and burning on anythingsailing.com). It so reminds me of the iPhone (AKA JesusPhone) craze.

I am sure the Mansone Supreme is a good anchor but so is the Delta. So is the Bruce.

In very soft mud, actually the good ole Danforth has much to recommend but you did not ask for that...
Old 04-11-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
"obnoxious"? I have been on this forum for about 4 years and
can't remember Craig Smith of Rocna Anchors saying anything
obnoxious or rude about his competitors. Nor have I seen any
negative comments from his customers. He basically states the
facts about his products and refers to tests done by others.
Am I missing something? No affiliation and do not own a Rocna.

Dabnis
Old 04-11-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Why oh why?

I use a Delta in the Chessie and am very happy with it.

I know there is a lot of (what I consider) hype about the so-called 'next generation' anchors (the most obnoxious of the hype-generating companies, Rocna, is right now crashing and burning on anythingsailing.com). It so reminds me of the iPhone (AKA JesusPhone) craze.

I am sure the Mansone Supreme is a good anchor but so is the Delta. So is the Bruce.

In very soft mud, actually the good ole Danforth has much to recommend but you did not ask for that...

I believe its not hype and the new generation anchors are superior.
I base my decision manly on observing anchor behavior especial when diving on anchors and watching them in real world conditions. I also note which boats drag or have a lot of trouble setting their anchor (assuming adequate technique)
I also respect the view of other cruisers, particularly in face to face discussions, but also the reported performance in forums like these.

I think the Delta is a good anchor an excellent value for money in many parts of the world. It sets well, but I have observed several delta anchors in a very slow drag while the anchor remains set.
In summary I think the Delta s a very reliable anchor in moderate conditions , but I do not believe it has the holding power of the Rocna, Manson supreme and Spade anchors. It is however superior IMHO to the CQR and Bruce generation of anchors.

You have a good point about the Danforth in soft mud it is an excellent anchor. It, however, struggles in harder substrates and weed.
It also sometimes does not maintain its set with major wind shifts and if it drags, it drags very quickly. These latter two characteristics make it less than ideal as a primary anchor
Old 04-11-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I would pick the Manson for many reasons but the real difference is its ability to grab the bottom. The delta plows the bottom which opens up the surface of the bottom. The Manson Supreme and Rocna both compress the surface which translates into better holding power.

Imagine a "V" shaped snow plow. It pushes snow to the sides. Now redesign that plow into a "U" shape with the open end in front. That plow will not go far.

And I am on 2 forums that Craig will frequent and have never seen him get obnoxious. Regardless, he produces a great anchor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 04-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
"obnoxious"? I have been on this forum for about 4 years and
can't remember Craig Smith of Rocna Anchors saying anything
obnoxious or rude about his competitors. Nor have I seen any
negative comments from his customers. He basically states the
facts about his products and refers to tests done by others.
Am I missing something? No affiliation and do not own a Rocna.

Dabnis
Ehm, 'obnoxious' is a very gentle term for the documented behavior of Craig Smith and probably the Rocna company (as we learned over the last couple days, the relationship between the two turns out to be more complicated than expected). If you want to read about their antics, look for instance into the examples collected by our very own Maine Sail in the AS thread:

Manson vs. Rocna

Old 04-11-2011

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road
If there is a "new generation" I would say it is a Fortress. Much lighter and determined to be very effective in the tests mentioned. Made of high-tech materials, thousands of real world tests.

It's a little awkward for my bow with the protruding stocks. So it's my backup.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
I believe its not hype and the new generation anchors are superior.
I base my decision manly on observing anchor behavior especial when diving on anchors and watching them in real world conditions. I also note which boats drag or have a lot of trouble setting their anchor (assuming adequate technique)
I also respect the view of other cruisers, particularly in face to face discussions, but also the reported performance in forums like these.

I think the Delta is a good anchor an excellent value for money in many parts of the world. It sets well, but I have observed several delta anchors in a very slow drag while the anchor remains set.
In summary I think the Delta s a very reliable anchor in moderate conditions , but I do not believe it has the holding power of the Rocna, Manson supreme and Spade anchors. It is however superior IMHO to the CQR and Bruce generation of anchors.

You have a good point about the Danforth in soft mud it is an excellent anchor. It, however, struggles in harder substrates and weed.
It also sometimes does not maintain its set with major wind shifts and if it drags, it drags very quickly. These latter two characteristics make it less than ideal as a primary anchor
I think we can agree, overall.

I don't want to say that all anchors are equal in all conditions. Let's be optimistic and even believe that humanity does learn something over time and that the newer anchors do, indeed, have overall some advantages over older models. Many consumer products improve incrementally over time, so this is quite possibly the case for anchors, too.

What I object to is the idea that there is some magical quantum leap in performance between 'next gen' (how I love this word!) anchors and all the rest.

I also agree with you about the weaknesses of the Danforth that you point out.
Old 04-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
If there is a "new generation" I would say it is a Fortress. Much lighter and determined to be very effective in the tests mentioned. Made of high-tech materials, thousands of real world tests.

It's a little awkward for my bow with the protruding stocks. So it's my backup.
Excellent point. And, pound for pound, the test winner pretty much everywhere (except on the Rocna web page where they falsified the test results from the SAIL magazine).

A Fortress is my stern anchor.