Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Rocna vs. CQR dimensions

I've digested as much info as I can and plan to swap out my 75lb CQR for a Rocna 40 (88lb). Since I have a stainless CQR, I have to go out to dinner and see how I feel about Galv v. SS over a dozen beers or a bottle of wine or both.

I've downloaded the dimensions of each to attempt to insure it will fit in my bow roller. Best I can tell, the Rocna is actually smaller, other than width.

If the CQR fits, any reason to think the Rocna will not?

How would one go about selling a stainless CQR? Too big to just keep around for a spare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
As well as the dimensions Rocna have a printout so you can make a cardboard copy .
As a bonus you get to act like a homeless person searching the rubbish bins for bits of cardboard big enough to make your “anchor”.
I think the Rocna tip is a bit longer than the CQR so its worth checking.
Old 04-15-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I printed out the Rocna diagragm and taped it all together. Based on measurements, the tip actually seems just a tad shorter. I was surprised. Partly why I thought to ask for input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-15-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
This might help. Category:Rocna bow compatibility (Rocna Knowledge Base)
Old 04-15-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Might want to consider hanging on to the CQR to use an in in-line anchor for a storm setup or something a little more secure than a single. I've read that two anchors on the same line is the most secure you can have. The second anchor acts as a pig, holding down the chain, and of course, also will dig in itself. But it's a pain to set and recover, so you would only use that for a storm or a long term stay somewhere.

I have a CQR that hangs under the bowsprit/platform on Argyle. Because of the configuration, the roll boar on the Ronca/Manson won't fit, so I'm eventually going to go with a Spade. I plan on keeping the CQR around for just such an occasion.
Downeaster 38 #40

Old 04-15-2011
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
Might want to consider hanging on to the CQR to use an in in-line anchor for a storm setup or something a little more secure than a single. I've read that two anchors on the same line is the most secure you can have. The second anchor acts as a pig, holding down the chain, and of course, also will dig in itself.
Two to Tandem: Maximizing Holding Power by Tandem Anchoring

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig Smith For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Mistral54 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rocna vs. CQR dimensions

Hi Minnewaska
I was pleased to see your thread about swapping out your CQR for a Rocna 40 as I am in the process of doing the same thing. Presumably our boats are the same specification (Mine is 2008 54DS based in Southern France) I am having the same concerns as to whether the Rocna 40 will fit the double bow roller. Would you mind sharing your experience as to whether you did go ahead with the change and any problems if any that you encountered. I see from the Rocna site that the 40 is the size suggested but have seen another 55' boat (not a Jeanneau) that was sporting a Rocna 55 and I wondered whether you feel that the 40 is sufficient or whether you think the 55 would be better.
I dont know if your move from the CQR was a good move as I have dragged a couple of times with the CQR luckily only on lunch stops but I hear good things about the Rocna and would welcome your comments
Many thanks for any feedback
Mistral54
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

We swapped out our 65# CQR for the 88# Rocna without a problem, except we could no longer keep the #2 anchor in the roller beside it. That really doesn't seem to be a problem, as the Rocna's holding is much better than the CQR. Add to that the 1/2" chain and I'm pretty sure we could anchor on a sheet of glass, in a gale without dragging.
As for a S/S anchor, I've always thought of an anchor as an item I might lose one day and the added expense of S/S seemed unnecessary.
Since the introduction of the Rocnas, the value of the CQR's has plummeted, so I wish you luck getting fair value for the S/S one. Try the power boat market, as they often go more for flash.
eherlihy likes this.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

Old 2 Weeks Ago
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

For those that like stainless anchors, Mantus offers their anchors in stainless. Now you can have your stainless and have your roll bar. :-)

MedSailor
Old 2 Weeks Ago

So, in good salty fashion, I'm still on the cocktails and thinking about it. Never pulled the trigger.

I have decided, when I do divert the boat bucks, that the 88lb Rocna is what I will do. I think that is the larger specified for our relatively low displacement (20+ ton) for a 55ft boat. Our buddy's 49ft Taswell weighs more than we do.

As for selling the bling anchor, I've given up hope. A stink potter is a pretty good idea, but it would have to be a monster stinkpot. Stink potters never have sufficient ground tackle.

I do have to say, however, that I've not had any real trouble anchoring with the CQR and 1/2" chain. In fact, I just upgraded from 200 ft of G4 chain to 300 ft of G4. At around 900 lbs of ground tackle, it's simply like dropping your own mooring.

p.s. I'm in the minority, at least around here, but I'm just not a fan of Mantus. Fine for a spare that can be disassembled. But for a permanent anchor, I highly question corrosion on the confined threads and the abrasion of the galvanization on mating surfaces. I also don't buy that they are so much better than the Rocna or Manson, which causes me to question their integrity a bit. That last part may be unwarranted, I'm more focused on how they will hold up in the long run.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.