SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Rocna vs. CQR dimensions

8K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Noelex 
#1 ·
I've digested as much info as I can and plan to swap out my 75lb CQR for a Rocna 40 (88lb). Since I have a stainless CQR, I have to go out to dinner and see how I feel about Galv v. SS over a dozen beers or a bottle of wine or both.

I've downloaded the dimensions of each to attempt to insure it will fit in my bow roller. Best I can tell, the Rocna is actually smaller, other than width.

If the CQR fits, any reason to think the Rocna will not?

How would one go about selling a stainless CQR? Too big to just keep around for a spare.

#2 ·
As well as the dimensions Rocna have a printout so you can make a cardboard copy .
As a bonus you get to act like a homeless person searching the rubbish bins for bits of cardboard big enough to make your “anchor”.
I think the Rocna tip is a bit longer than the CQR so its worth checking.

#5 ·
Might want to consider hanging on to the CQR to use an in in-line anchor for a storm setup or something a little more secure than a single. I've read that two anchors on the same line is the most secure you can have. The second anchor acts as a pig, holding down the chain, and of course, also will dig in itself. But it's a pain to set and recover, so you would only use that for a storm or a long term stay somewhere.

I have a CQR that hangs under the bowsprit/platform on Argyle. Because of the configuration, the roll boar on the Ronca/Manson won't fit, so I'm eventually going to go with a Spade. I plan on keeping the CQR around for just such an occasion.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hi Minnewaska
I was pleased to see your thread about swapping out your CQR for a Rocna 40 as I am in the process of doing the same thing. Presumably our boats are the same specification (Mine is 2008 54DS based in Southern France) I am having the same concerns as to whether the Rocna 40 will fit the double bow roller. Would you mind sharing your experience as to whether you did go ahead with the change and any problems if any that you encountered. I see from the Rocna site that the 40 is the size suggested but have seen another 55' boat (not a Jeanneau) that was sporting a Rocna 55 and I wondered whether you feel that the 40 is sufficient or whether you think the 55 would be better.
I dont know if your move from the CQR was a good move as I have dragged a couple of times with the CQR luckily only on lunch stops but I hear good things about the Rocna and would welcome your comments
Many thanks for any feedback
Mistral54

#8 ·
We swapped out our 65# CQR for the 88# Rocna without a problem, except we could no longer keep the #2 anchor in the roller beside it. That really doesn't seem to be a problem, as the Rocna's holding is much better than the CQR. Add to that the 1/2" chain and I'm pretty sure we could anchor on a sheet of glass, in a gale without dragging.
As for a S/S anchor, I've always thought of an anchor as an item I might lose one day and the added expense of S/S seemed unnecessary.
Since the introduction of the Rocnas, the value of the CQR's has plummeted, so I wish you luck getting fair value for the S/S one. Try the power boat market, as they often go more for flash.

#10 · (Edited)
So, in good salty fashion, I'm still on the cocktails and thinking about it. Never pulled the trigger.

I have decided, when I do divert the boat bucks, that the 88lb Rocna is what I will do. I think that is the larger specified for our relatively low displacement (20+ ton) for a 55ft boat. Our buddy's 49ft Taswell weighs more than we do.

As for selling the bling anchor, I've given up hope. A stink potter is a pretty good idea, but it would have to be a monster ********. Stink potters never have sufficient ground tackle.

I do have to say, however, that I've not had any real trouble anchoring with the CQR and 1/2" chain. In fact, I just upgraded from 200 ft of G4 chain to 300 ft of G4. At around 900 lbs of ground tackle, it's simply like dropping your own mooring. :D

p.s. I'm in the minority, at least around here, but I'm just not a fan of Mantus. Fine for a spare that can be disassembled. But for a permanent anchor, I highly question corrosion on the confined threads and the abrasion of the galvanization on mating surfaces. I also don't buy that they are so much better than the Rocna or Manson, which causes me to question their integrity a bit. That last part may be unwarranted, I'm more focused on how they will hold up in the long run.

#25 ·
p.s. I'm in the minority, at least around here, but I'm just not a fan of Mantus. Fine for a spare that can be disassembled. But for a permanent anchor, I highly question corrosion on the confined threads and the abrasion of the galvanization on mating surfaces. I also don't buy that they are so much better than the Rocna or Manson, which causes me to question their integrity a bit. That last part may be unwarranted, I'm more focused on how they will hold up in the long run.
Interestingly enough, an acquaintance of ours and a staunch proponent of the Mantus anchors, came to anchor near us off St. George's a few months back. I believe we saw them anchor ten times before they were happy. Not a criticism, just an interesting observation.
With our Rocna, we've never had to do it more than once in that anchorage or any other.

#11 ·
Wait. You actually USE your boat and you anchor with a CQR?? No. I call bullship! The laws of herd internet mentality dictate that you would already be dead if you tried to pull a stunt like that!

You're a closet Mantus user. Admit it. It's the only logical explanation.

Medsailor

#12 ·
LOL. Yup, we've swung on the CQR in 30kts of wind, without budging. Once it's set, especially with the weight of our chain, I feel pretty confident. But you do require proper procedure to get it set.

The major advantage of the new gen anchors is their ability to reset themselves. Admittedly, if conditions are blowing hard and forecast to swing around 180 degs, I would not sleep well on the CQR. Around here, winds often calm overnight, so even when we swing, we don't typically fully pull back on the chain, let alone need to reset the CQR.

Not only do I not like the Mantus anchor, but I ordered one of their chain hooks and returned it. It was poorly made. For our 1/2" chain, the thing was the size of a toaster! It would not fit easily through our bow roller. You could also see the grinding marks from trying to clean up the casting seam and the galvanization looked thick and crusty. Galvanization is a bonding process and, as an analogy, should look more like it was stained than painted. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

#16 ·
Jerry, there's a big SS CQR for sale here on this thread .Maybe?? Here on the coast weather patterns are either this way or that way. Unlees you leave your boat all season unattended resetting a well set CQR should not be an issue. IF it is you can get a mooring ,not a Mantus. In more than 30 years of CQR experience my galvanized CQR only faltered once,and that was because I hooked a log and dragged it a bit. I also am an advocate of big ,long chain. Thane had a 45 on port roller and an 80? pounder on the other with 25 fathoms of 1/2 chain.(+ line)

#17 ·
Technology has fortunately moved on since the 1930's when the CQR was developed.

Yes, many of us managed for a long time, but these days there are much better alternatives.

Here are some underwater photos of what a CQR loves to do in hard substrate. Lay on its side and dig in poorly.

#20 ·
" One little aside, you don't often find real 'cruising' boats on the dock. They are the ones out cruising, and sitting on their anchors! And trust me, down here in the Caribbean, when you can see an anchor on the bow of a cruising boat, it is more often than not, a 'new gen' of the Rocna type, not a CQR, these days. "

Funny thing, these are cruising boats who have come a long long way from the ol caribe, and most of the rest of the world, I'll tell you the predominant type of anchor is still the CQR on this little outpost. I'll post a little video when I get a better wifi signal..of what boats that have probably been out here a bit longer. They must not have been close enough to a lot of hype. Sure, go ahead get one, i would too if they weren't double the price...but i have no doubt it works for me and quite a few others.

#26 ·

Funny thing, these are cruising boats who have come a long long way from the ol caribe, and most of the rest of the world, I'll tell you the predominant type of anchor is still the CQR on this little outpost. I'll post a little video when I get a better wifi signal..of what boats that have probably been out here a bit longer. They must not have been close enough to a lot of hype. Sure, go ahead get one, i would too if they weren't double the price...but i have no doubt it works for me and quite a few others.

I bought my first GENUINE CQR in 1971 and used them consistently all over the world until 2012. It was a great anchor, all around out performing every other anchor I tried.
Reading on the forums and elsewhere on the web, my response to "new gen" anchors was pretty much dismissal. New gen, shmoo gen. My CQR was fine.
Then in 2011 I saw a boat anchor successfully in Admiralty Bay in the 'drag chutes' on the south side. Ever wonder why there are no boats anchored in some areas, when the rest of the anchorage is chock a block? Anyway, I hopped in the dink and asked him what anchor he used; Rocna.
I began to pay attention and everywhere we went the Rocna was doing the job better and with less reanchoring than any other anchor.
In 2012 we were offered a nearly new Rocna at a small percentage of retail, so I figured for a couple of hundred bucks it was a good experiment, and if it wasn't any good it would make a good paperweight.
We dove on that anchor nearly every time we dropped it the first year and it set itself (I NEVER back down on my anchor unless anchoring Med style) within ONE anchor length nearly every time, occasionally actually moving a whole ten feet before setting!
In three plus years of being anchored all but maybe 25 nights, this anchor has NEVER drug, had to be reset or given me any sleepless nights (winds to 65 mph) on any bottom we dropped on, in the Windwards or Leewards.
Sure there are still a lot of CQR's out there, and the Rocna's are expensive, but everywhere we sail there are lots of CQR's for sale at ridiculously low prices. If only I wanted one.

#21 ·
Well eventually I took the plunge and dumped the CQR in place of the Rocna40 and hoped it would fit the bow roller of my Jeanneau 54DS (2008). Now absolutely delighted, it fits perfect and indeed the safety pin passes through the bow roller and the Rocna. Previously with the CQR the safety pin only sat above the CQR shank. Have only had 3 opportunities this season to use the Rocna and I feel much more secure. I am bringing up much more mud/weed with the Rocna than I ever did with the CQR so its clearly digging in much better.
Only downside with the Rocna40 as opposed to the CQR is that I wanted to fit a removable Selden Bowsprit using my port bow roller but because of the hoop this limits the amount of room available so it looks like I will have to have something custom made that sits on the outside of the port bow roller, other than that very happy with my decision.
Mistral54

#22 ·
Thanks for the input. I still haven't pulled the trigger here. As mentioned above, I did swap out the chain this season. That was a great idea. It expanded our anchoring options tremendously.

Where are you located? What year 54? What engine? Would love to swap some notes with another...... PM if you like.

#28 · (Edited)
Capta, why do you never back down on your anchor?
Perhaps I misspoke. I will back down very gently if there's not enough wind to lay out my chain.
I found out long ago that I often unset an anchor on it's way to a good set, by backing down on it. The good anchors are designed by guys much smarter than I to do their job properly, without too much help from me.
To be fair, there isn't much kelp down my way and when last I anchored on the left coast, there were no CQR or Rocna type anchors. However I would suspect that even if my Rocna did pull through the kelp, it would pretty much set the second it could do so. If you turn up the heat, stop the rain and warm the water, We'll sail on up and you can show me your beautiful world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.