Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011

BrianFortress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
It was proven that the Fortress would be rendered useless and bent its shank by veering forces inferior to the ones that had no effect on steel anchors, namely the Spade and the Mason.

Regards

Paulo
Rendered useless with a "slight bend in the shank" ? Hardly.

It is quite simple to understand that it is easier to turn one smaller narrower fluke (such as the Spade or Manson) than two much larger flukes (Danforth or Fortress) when the anchor is deeply embedded into a sea bottom, which of course will result in a greater strain on the shank, no matter what the metal material is.

Whether the testers or you arrive at a conclusion that the Fortress is a great secondary or emergency or stern anchor is fine with us. We have a significant number of customers who bought a Fortress to use it as their main anchor, including the US Coast Guard, but if a boater doesn't feel that it will meet their needs in this regard, so be it.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDfrmTN View Post
What difference does that make?
Because if you are concerened with what the original poster wrote you should ask him to clarify whether he meant the type of aluminum alloy typically used in aluminum anchors or some super exotic aluminium that would be far too expensive to use in an anchor.

I read the quote to mean he was comparing the typical alloys used in steel anchors with the typical alloys used in aluminum anchors but someone else wrote it so I can not be sure what he meant.
Old 05-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Because if you are concerened with what the original poster wrote you should ask him to clarify whether he meant the type of aluminum alloy typically used in aluminum anchors or some super exotic aluminium that would be far too expensive to use in an anchor.

I read the quote to mean he was comparing the typical alloys used in steel anchors with the typical alloys used in aluminum anchors but someone else wrote it so I can not be sure what he meant.
I mean the type of alloy that you find in expensive steel anchors that you can find on the market like the Spade, Bugel, Mason and the type of alloy that is used in expensive market aluminum anchors like the Fortress or the Aluminum Spade.

Regards

Paulo
Old 05-09-2011

CapitainMike is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperwhite View Post
If anyone could provide the strength to weight ratio data for a cider block tied off with clothesline that would be a great help to me.
5 to 7 Oh sorry that is the time here in Greece

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m
"Money won't buy you happiness but it will allow you to buy a yacht big enough to pull up along side it"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Please God be kind to me your sea is so wide and my boat is so small"
Old 05-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFortress View Post
Rendered useless with a "slight bend in the shank" ? Hardly.

It is quite simple to understand that it is easier to turn one smaller narrower fluke (such as the Spade or Manson) than two much larger flukes (Danforth or Fortress) when the anchor is deeply embedded into a sea bottom, which of course will result in a greater strain on the shank, no matter what the metal material is.

Whether the testers or you arrive at a conclusion that the Fortress is a great secondary or emergency or stern anchor is fine with us. We have a significant number of customers who bought a Fortress to use it as their main anchor, including the US Coast Guard, but if a boater doesn't feel that it will meet their needs in this regard, so be it.

Safe anchoring,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
We all have a choice like our path in life sometimes turns out OK sometimes does not.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m
"Money won't buy you happiness but it will allow you to buy a yacht big enough to pull up along side it"

Last edited by CapitainMike; 05-09-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 05-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitainMike View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! In Reply to your statement/question I was not making a point I was discussing the relative strengths of an anchor made from Aluminium with a 40% increased in material not size than the same anchor made in steel.

An anchor rode entirely of chain with a rope snubber will hold just as well as a larger anchor on rope so weight also matters.

I would be very interested to know if you have a boat of your own now and if so please tell us the anchors you are using.

You don't seem to know or ignore the fact that there are different sizes recommended by different manufactures for the same size boat or there size tables do not equate weight of vessel to length of vessel in relation to their anchor size choice. This means pushing you to purchase a larger anchor than is needed for their profit margin or maybe not if its to big a reconstruction job to make it fit. Do what I did when I was looking for an anchor collate all the recommended sizes on one sheet. Spade, Manson, Rocna, Buegel, Ultra, etc then make a statement.

Am I right in believing that you are the gentleman who used to work in the aussie anchor market and then set up a business in Latin America if so I looked at your design which was pretty good but unfortunately you had ceased production I think because of carriage costs.
Paulo
I reiterate I would be very interested to know if you have a boat of your own now and if so please tell us the anchors and set up you are using.

So that I can take you seriously.

Please do not ignore this question as it smacks of ulterior motives

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m

Old 05-09-2011

Advocate

As a devils advocate.

I would like to thank you all for your very different ideas comments and interjections.

It has been very entertaining. But I would like to see the Manufacturers stick to their own forums so that the remain poor mortals can genuinely discuss there own problems findings and experience.

Anchors with all the variables involved could really be called one of the mysteries of the universe and are always good for an intense lively debate/discussion.

There is obviously no final conclusion that anybody can come to.

The safest way is do not use an anchor. haul your boat out of the water.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m

Old 05-09-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Paulo
I reiterate I would be very interested to know if you have a boat of your own now and if so please tell us the anchors and set up you are using.

So that I can take you seriously.

Please do not ignore this question as it smacks of ulterior motives

I have already replied to that. Please read all the posts!

Last edited by PCP; 05-09-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2011
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There is obviously no final conclusion that anybody can come to.

The safest way is do not use an anchor. haul your boat out of the water.
..and this is coming from someone supposedly sailing a Cobra 850 in the Med??

Methinks you've lost all your credibility (what credibility you may have had) right there..
Old 05-10-2011

Thank you for your reply, but I am talking about "sailors" who come to the Med for a fortnights holiday in the summer then hand their charter boat back and go home or leave their boat in a marina from October till May.

Those whose boats winter in Lefkadas, Corfu, Preveza, Aegina, Athens Glyfada 1-2-3, Olympic Marina Sounion, Leros, Kos and the Turkish coast Mamaris etc and they are thousands of miles away tucked up with their central heating while others do the dirty work.

Much to a lot of peoples envy I live and sail in the Med and have done since 1966.

My base is Amorgos Where it is a rough winter anchorage and my boat the aforementioned Cobra850 is in the water all year round. Re: Credibilty I don't really care what you think about my credibilty or not.

I have nothing to prove to anyone including you and you are entitled to your own opinion right or wrong. I would defend your right to voice your opinion!

If you want safety do what the Vikings did beach your boat every night.

This is the boat between my berth the small fishing boat.

Storm Building My boat me with wooly hat and boat hook.

Capitain Mike
Mediterranean Sea
Cobra 850
8.68m