Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
I have Garhauer primarily because they seemed the best value and I like the company, good people...but some of their stuff can look a little clunky.

Kato makes some really nice stuff and you'll pay for it.

Its davit, not much to go wrong really, buy the one that makes the most sense to you and how much you're willing to spend, and the correct purchase for the intended dingy and motor (if applicable).

You may also consider a engine lift depending on the size of your motor, I went with a Forespar unit, its good but they should include more purchase for the price they're charging, I replaced the block to a double on mine it only weighs 80 some #, they advertise it will lift 140#...not with a single block IMO .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary

Last edited by T37Chef; 04-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
My wife calls the Kato davits we have "the folding lawn chair" style. But less flimsy looking than some others. I think that about sums it up.

Some day I would love to upgrade to Kato's aluminum box frame davits. They look professional !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2011
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
I got a set of St Criox folding davits a few months ago. I don't care much for them. At the time I thought the folding would be controlablen, not loose all the time. But they really are just flopping. Going to have to make a change to them.
Old 04-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I want these one day. The second picture from the left is mounted on exactly my boat model.

Kato Marine

I have these, with a cross bar and supports attached to the pushpit. They have been rock solid so far.

Kato Marine

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Garhauer here. I have the 6:1 and its a joy using them. Quality is good...service cannot be beat. Thety threw in an extra brace and cross piece on mine.

Their stuff impress me so much I bought my radar pole from them also. It comes with a detachable (2 pins) engine hoist which you can rig up on the pole in 30 seconds and dont have to have it there all the time. 6:1 purchase also makes lifting the engine an putting it on the rail a cinch when we go for long distance cruises or in the ocean.

Again the service cannot be beat and they will customize for your particular boat.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 04-21-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
In choosing davits, you need to think about worst case scenarios. The davits discussed here all seem ok (with the exception of the Kingston which are way too flimsy) but how will they deal with following seas that lift your dinghy and toss it to one side or the other. It happens. In weather like that, your probably best with the dinghy inboard but sometimes it's just a rough following sea and the weather isn't that bad. I suspect that conditions like I've described will bend all of the choices given (Forespars seems the strongest, most reinforced of the 3).

I would encourage you to check out Atkins and Hoyle Atkins and Hoyle Ltd. - #1 Dinghy and Tender Solutions. They aren't cheap but are extremely robust and well made. These are what we have on Mandolin and we are very satisfied. I added a couple of cross braces so I could install a solar panel or 2. They have handled conditions I described very well. I have seen others end up twisted from the cross forces of the waves in a following sea.

Tod

Last edited by Gladrags1; 04-21-2011 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-21-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Glad...the trick is to tie the dinghy tight so it is really part of the boat. Ours doesnt swing or move at all once in place. We utilize a couple of ratcheting web straps over the dingy and stern rails with the dinghy held snug against a couple of small fenders.

It doesnt move and doesnt sqeek even in the most robust conditions.

Course in a real blow or for safetys sake we put the engine on the rail mount and hoist the dingy on the foredeck and/or deflate it.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 04-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I have Garhauer and second chef2sail's post.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 04-21-2011

n0w0rries is on a distinguished road
I paid $500 to have davits put on my 27 catalina (so my boat would be long enough to meet the minimum requirement for the slip I was renting) from the local fabricator in the marina. You might check that out.
Old 04-21-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0w0rries View Post
I paid $500 to have davits put on my 27 catalina (so my boat would be long enough to meet the minimum requirement for the slip I was renting) from the local fabricator in the marina. You might check that out.
I life in Florida...home of "the hustle"...no local fabricator is willing to do the work for less than what I've seen prefabbed.