SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Davits - which one would you recommend? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/73760-davits-one-would-you-recommend.html)

night0wl 04-19-2011 01:10 PM

Davits - which one would you recommend?

Hi All!

So its time to install davits...been waiting long enough and hoisting the dink via the gennaker halyard has become a pain in the behind. So I've been evaluating several sets of Davits. With spring sales in effect, a set I've had my eyes on just become a pretty good deal.

SO...here are my candidates. Which would you choose and why?

Kingston Anchors Removable Davits:
Price: $999 + shipping + handling ($1100 total)
Product info Here:

Forespar Nova Davit Lifts
$1400 all said and done (I have lots of gift certs to use out at a retailer of these davits)
Product info HERE:I cant tell if these include backing plates...suspect they do.

Garhaur Davits
Product info HERE:
$1150 (or so) all said and done direct from Garhauer - and they've offered to extend them/make them longer if I so wish for free. Thinking of getting the DD6.1

I'm leaning towards the Garhauer simply because I like the way they've treated me and my inquiries to date.

And before we go there...yes, I've contempated a full arch, but I'm already squatting on the stern a bit and the weight of an aluminum (cant afford stainless steel) would be over the top. I'd practically be doing keel wheelies...not to mention the expense of a full arch is out of reach.

Cruisingdad 04-19-2011 02:06 PM

Cannot comment on the above three choices. I have Kato Davits and would highly reccomend them though.

Brian

night0wl 04-19-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 721870)
Cannot comment on the above three choices. I have Kato Davits and would highly reccomend them though.

Brian

Quote I got was 30-40% more with only a 4-1 purchase. Kato offers 6-1 for $70 more. Also changing the lengths was $140 more too. They're also rated at 50 lbs (almost 15%) less than the other brands :(

Kato makes great quality stuff, but in my opinion....*WAY* overpriced. They have a brand name and know it....they're not worth 40% more than Garhauer which is OEM equipment now on Catalina's, right?

funjohnson 04-19-2011 02:35 PM

Garhuer! I have them and love it. Make sure you get the second cross brace (they threw that in for free at the boat show). It really stiffens them up.

Also, I thought I was having an issue with one of the blocks. I talked to the rep at the strictly sail show and he tried to just give me a new set of blocks for free right there. I turned him down saying that I will just double check how I had my rigged... it was my fault. With customer service like that, they have a customer for life!

If I had to do it again, I would ask for 4:1 blocks. My dinghy is only 170 with motor and the extra line needed for the 6:1 is a bit much.

windward54 04-19-2011 02:44 PM

I also have the Garhauer, and really like them. Yes the 6:1 blocks can be a pain sometimes, but if you have any weight or if the wife helps, it will sure make it easier to hoist up the dink.

Bene505 04-19-2011 03:29 PM

I second the Kato davits. Too bad they cost too much. Not sure about that weight thing. I hoist my big dink (11.5' Achilles RIB) with no problem without the engine. After looking at it recently, I'm impressed with the way it integrates into the coaming with an "L" shaped bracket. Also that way someone (maybe not them, might be that way from Beneteau) put angle braces from the top pushpit rail down to the bottom of the sugar-scoop.

Regards,
Brad

Vasco 04-19-2011 04:15 PM

Before you decide check out Ocean Marine. I think they have the best davits going.

jorgenl 04-19-2011 04:33 PM

I recommend the Kato's. Pricey but good quality and excellent customer service.

I have a Garhauer motor hoist and it works very well, was very good value for the monay but seems to be THE piece of stainless on my boat that needs polishing first, not sure if this is due to stainless steel specs.

Minnewaska 04-19-2011 06:25 PM

Kato here. Very happy with them.

night0wl 04-20-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vasco (Post 721904)
Before you decide check out Ocean Marine. I think they have the best davits going.

Checked them out...they're expensive too and not well known as Kato or Garhauer.