Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-19-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Davits - which one would you recommend?

Hi All!

So its time to install davits...been waiting long enough and hoisting the dink via the gennaker halyard has become a pain in the behind. So I've been evaluating several sets of Davits. With spring sales in effect, a set I've had my eyes on just become a pretty good deal.

SO...here are my candidates. Which would you choose and why?

Kingston Anchors Removable Davits:
Price: $999 + shipping + handling ($1100 total)
Product info Here:

Forespar Nova Davit Lifts
$1400 all said and done (I have lots of gift certs to use out at a retailer of these davits)
Product info HERE:I cant tell if these include backing plates...suspect they do.

Garhaur Davits
Product info HERE:
$1150 (or so) all said and done direct from Garhauer - and they've offered to extend them/make them longer if I so wish for free. Thinking of getting the DD6.1

I'm leaning towards the Garhauer simply because I like the way they've treated me and my inquiries to date.

And before we go there...yes, I've contempated a full arch, but I'm already squatting on the stern a bit and the weight of an aluminum (cant afford stainless steel) would be over the top. I'd practically be doing keel wheelies...not to mention the expense of a full arch is out of reach.

Last edited by night0wl; 04-19-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Cannot comment on the above three choices. I have Kato Davits and would highly reccomend them though.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 04-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Cannot comment on the above three choices. I have Kato Davits and would highly reccomend them though.

Brian
Quote I got was 30-40% more with only a 4-1 purchase. Kato offers 6-1 for $70 more. Also changing the lengths was $140 more too. They're also rated at 50 lbs (almost 15%) less than the other brands

Kato makes great quality stuff, but in my opinion....*WAY* overpriced. They have a brand name and know it....they're not worth 40% more than Garhauer which is OEM equipment now on Catalina's, right?
Old 04-19-2011
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road
Garhuer! I have them and love it. Make sure you get the second cross brace (they threw that in for free at the boat show). It really stiffens them up.

Also, I thought I was having an issue with one of the blocks. I talked to the rep at the strictly sail show and he tried to just give me a new set of blocks for free right there. I turned him down saying that I will just double check how I had my rigged... it was my fault. With customer service like that, they have a customer for life!

If I had to do it again, I would ask for 4:1 blocks. My dinghy is only 170 with motor and the extra line needed for the 6:1 is a bit much.

Last edited by funjohnson; 04-19-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2011

windward54 is on a distinguished road
I also have the Garhauer, and really like them. Yes the 6:1 blocks can be a pain sometimes, but if you have any weight or if the wife helps, it will sure make it easier to hoist up the dink.
Old 04-19-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
I second the Kato davits. Too bad they cost too much. Not sure about that weight thing. I hoist my big dink (11.5' Achilles RIB) with no problem without the engine. After looking at it recently, I'm impressed with the way it integrates into the coaming with an "L" shaped bracket. Also that way someone (maybe not them, might be that way from Beneteau) put angle braces from the top pushpit rail down to the bottom of the sugar-scoop.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 04-19-2011
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Before you decide check out Ocean Marine. I think they have the best davits going.

Old 04-19-2011
Abysmally Stupid

jorgenl is on a distinguished road
I recommend the Kato's. Pricey but good quality and excellent customer service.

I have a Garhauer motor hoist and it works very well, was very good value for the monay but seems to be THE piece of stainless on my boat that needs polishing first, not sure if this is due to stainless steel specs.
Old 04-19-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Kato here. Very happy with them.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Before you decide check out Ocean Marine. I think they have the best davits going.
Checked them out...they're expensive too and not well known as Kato or Garhauer.