Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-20-2011

luken7 is on a distinguished road
Asking for input on dingy and motor purchase

Ok, I've been on this forum for a while learning all I can. We got our Bene 361 last summer and she's located in Oriental, NC on the Pamlico sound. For this summer, we're want to explore the sounds and we're looking for a dingy and motor.

Some details on our requirements and plans.
  1. we're looking for something to get us from anchorage to shore or marina when gunkholing or cruising visiting various N.C. cities
  2. don't' have tidal concerns as we're in the sound
  3. there are four of us, me, wife and two boys, 12 and 8
  4. looking at a 10' dingy with a 4hp motor
  5. want something with decent speed and can plane
  6. thinking of the Torqeedo 1003s electric motor (4ph equivalent)
  7. realize that Hypalon is expensive and that Defender is currently having a sale on the Zodiac 10'2" typhoon 310 Aeor for ~$870
  8. Defender is also having a sale on the Torqeedo 1003S for about $1600
  9. we want a dingy that we can completely roll up and put away in the lazarette, don't want davits and no room on the foredeck, so we'll looking at the high pressure air floor
  10. we're weekenders so the dingy will be packed and stored, not left out to the elements
  11. want to have something for the boys to play around with when we're anchored, but nothing too powerful

Hoping this isn't too much information but one thing I learned when following threads on this forum, the more info the better when asking a question.

So the main question, thinking about the Zodiac dingy (which only has a two year warranty) and the Torqeedo 1003s and wanted to get some feedback. One thing I notice is that the motor shaft is 23" ??

HP Air Floor 10' 2"

4 Hp Electric Motor

Thanks a bunch everyone !!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Defender often has good deals, so you're looking in a good place.

I do not love air floors, they can be very fragile (read as.... Leak) A folding hard floor may meet your requirements.

4hp may work, but is not going to get to anything like decent speed, especially with four aboard. I would want to see 10 hp if you want to get up and go. If you're worried about hauling it off each time, you will want an engine hoist either way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-20-2011

thehardaground is on a distinguished road
I'm close to positive that there's no chance you'll get a 10' dinghy with 4 people in it with a soft floor to plane with 4 hp.
Old 04-20-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I can tell you from experience that you will have a tough time getting a 10' dinghy with 4 people onboard to plane with a 6HP. I would think a 10HP would be the smallest - and I'm not even sure about that. Inflatable floor dinghies need a little more "oomph" to get up and go than a RIB (we have both - and use a 6HP on the inflatable floor and a 20HP on the RIB). NC is at a marginal point as to where I'd recommend Hypalon over PVC. The biggest difference is that Hypalon doesn't break down (as fast) in UV as PVC so you get a much longer life. On the other hand, if you can sew you can make a cover for a PVC dinghy and then it becomes irrelevant (see Custom cover for your inflatable (dinghy))

Also, regarding the shaft length - 23" is WAY deep for a dinghy. You want as short a body as possible so you don't have to be putting it in shallow water mode or raising it completely while you are still 20' from shore.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 04-20-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2011

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
Hi Luken

We have an airfloor dingy (mercury) and we love it because the floor is way comfy to sit or lay on. You can just drape your legs over the side and lie there with a drink in one hand while you float around the ancorage soaking up some rays. also any water that gets into the dingy goes under the floor so you dont get wet, and when your ready you can just drain it out the one way valve in the transom.

Mitch
Old 04-20-2011

Mitch, thanks. I've looked at the Mercury's, Defender has a hypalon 10' that seems reasonable. How long have you had yours? Also, what size motor do you run?
Old 04-21-2011

Labatt, thanks. I guess what I mean by decent speed is somewhere around 5 to 8kts, enough to get to shore from anchorage and notice that we're moving.

Good point on needing a much larger motor for planing with four people. What attracts me to the Torqeedo is essentially no maintenance and the weight. With just being 30lbs, it's easy to lift up and down and mount on the stern rail by myself, or my wife. I'm really trying to get an idea of just how fast it can push a 10' dingy with four people.
Old 04-21-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by luken7 View Post
Some details on our requirements and plans.
  1. we're looking for something to get us from anchorage to shore or marina when gunkholing or cruising visiting various N.C. cities
  2. don't' have tidal concerns as we're in the sound
  3. there are four of us, me, wife and two boys, 12 and 8
  4. looking at a 10' dingy with a 4hp motor
  5. want something with decent speed and can plane
  1. As others have pointed out, a fully loaded 10' dinghy, 4hp engine, and plane are mutually exclusive. If you really want to get speed out of the dinghy, you'll need to at least look at the 9.9hp outboards.

Quote:
  2. thinking of the Torqeedo 1003s electric motor (4ph equivalent)
  3. I've been looking at this one myself. Again, it will only push your dinghy at a sedate speed, but that will keep all the other folks in the anchorage happy with you.

Quote:
  4. realize that Hypalon is expensive and that Defender is currently having a sale on the Zodiac 10'2" typhoon 310 Aeor for ~$870
  5. If you are not going to be leaving the dink out in the sun for a long time, (since you said you will roll it up and stow it), I've forget about the Hypalon as you won't have as much UV issues.]

Quote:
  6. Defender is also having a sale on the Torqeedo 1003S for about $1600
  7. Note the fine print. This is the older version of the 1003S with a smaller battery capacity. The latest version is still $2k and I wouldn't want to go for the older, lower capacity one.

Quote:
So the main question, thinking about the Zodiac dingy (which only has a two year warranty) and the Torqeedo 1003s and wanted to get some feedback. One thing I notice is that the motor shaft is 23" ??
They made two shaft lengths, long (28") and short (23"). Defender has both, but I think the one they have on sale (the older one) has the longer shaft. For an inflatable, I would think the 23" would be fine. BTW, I've heard they may come out with a modified motor clamp as the current one may be too shallow in some cases.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
Old 04-21-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by luken7 View Post
.....With just being 30lbs, it's easy to lift up and down and mount on the stern rail by myself, or my wife......
In the right conditions, maybe. But standing on an inflatable floor and handing up a 30lb motor (not sure how high you have to pass it), with any chop at anchorage will not be easy. Inflating and deflating every weekend is also a real PITA. Been there many years ago. Often, the dink just didn't come out at all, too much work.

I strongly recommend an engine hoist, even for the 30 lb motor, so it really wouldn't matter if you got one a bit heavier. I also suggest the highest capacity electric inflating device you can run and be sure it will help deflate as well. If you plan to foot pump it every weekend, I can say from experience that will not happen for long.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-21-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
We have a 9' Achilles RIB with a 9.8 hp and have trouble getting that to plane with me, wife, and two small kids, 4&6 yrs old.

Good luck

Photo by Joe McCary