SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Barnacles on gelcoat

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JimsCAL 
#1 ·
My "old boat" is under contract, a 2007 Hunter 36. Out of the survey the potential buyer has asked I removed a cluster of barnacle skeletons off the gellcoat right above the bottom. I figure I can use a scraper to take most of it off but how do I get it totally off without damaging the gelcoat?

#2 ·
I fear that no matter what you do, you will be left with evidence they were there. How large an area are we talking? I would want some contractual understanding of the outcome. The buyer can see them there and can't expect it to return to original condition. On the other hand, you should really get them off before marketing the boat, they would naturally be a detraction.

#6 ·
With such a small area, I would get surgical with a straight edge razor scraper. Be careful, it can dig in.

I wonder why this is an issue for the buyer. Are they going to walk if it doesn't look good when done or are they that picky. Sure, it shouldn't be there, but still seems off a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.