Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-05-2003

jb2of3 is on a distinguished road
Topside temperature vs. color

While I take it for granted that the lighter the paint the more reflection, less absorbsion therefore less heat. Does anyone know from experience how much of a deviation from white is possible if the Caribbean is going to be my coldest destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2003

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road

jb2of3,

Good question. If Internet research doesn''t yield an initial answer for you, how about speaking with a knowledgeable paint manufacturer? I would hope they would know the relevant properties of their paints for transmission of solar radiation.
Old 07-06-2003

GordMay is on a distinguished road

I''ve seen very small shadings off "pure" white make significant deck temperature differences.
While working on a steel boat (in Florida) with white decks, and some VERY light grey trim - I could easily discern the temperature difference between the two with my bare feet. The light grey was too hot to bear, while the white was merely very warm.
I would not advise any color, other than white, for tropical applications.
OMO
Gord
Old 07-06-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road

Have you noticed that the topside being any color than white had any effect? I have white decks and white topsides too so it nice to know I have made a good choice..
Old 07-06-2003

jb2of3 is on a distinguished road

I have noticed differences in color absoption rates only generally, not with any deck applications. I was doing research in nonskid and there is a product called durabak 18 it comes in various colors. I have requested a 1 foot of white and off-white to a very light grey. So I can put it atop a battery box that I am fiberglassing. Hopefully will have some numbers using a strip thermometer. They may not reflect much in terms of accuracy as the box will not be underway with ventilation, but it will have to do being in Arkansas and 8 hours away from the boat in Ft Walton Beach. Looking around the marina I see no one with any colors other than white, yellow white which tends to gag me being slightly retentive (maybe not slightly). This is generally a good indicator of what to use. I see some darker hulls, I plan extensively on ways to avoid sitting atop my hull. But I would also be curious of any notable variations there as well.
Old 07-06-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I have had decks that were two tone with the non-skid a slightly off white and the areas between being white. In Georgia, you could easily tell when you were under or over the off white by the heat. It was a surprisingly very dramatic difference.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2003

fourknots is on a distinguished road

Anything darker than white will have an effect. We have "barely beige" paint on our decks and though it is very light, it is significantly warmer than white. I''ve sailed on a boat with light gray decks and they were HOT. In the Carib, you want white.
Old 07-26-2003

sailingbauble is on a distinguished road

The other side of the coin, which I have not seen mentioned, is that while darker decks are hot on the outside, they also radiate more heat inside.
Old 08-01-2003

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

While living in the San Joaquin delta aboard a CT41 with teak decks, I decided to paint the deck white. (For those of you who are cringing, let me say that I first coated it with a couple heavy coats of varnish and walnut shells so the whole thing could be removed without too much trouble.) While I wasnít surprised by the difference in the surface temperature, the change in the temperature below was quite dramatic. I donít think itís a stretch to say there was a ten degree Fahrenheit difference on a typical summer day.
Old 08-03-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road

I just re-re-covered my cabin top switching from canvas to a fiberglass coating. I wanted to use the same color scheme but found that Gloucesterís Marine Gray was no longer available. I chose instead, on recommendation Gliddenís Floor and Porch polyurethane in a close color match. I am surprised how hot the cabin top gets now! I can hardly stand to walk on it in bare feet on a hot summer day! The only thing I can think of is that the subsurface also is a factor in attracting heat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.