Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-24-2011

abode is on a distinguished road
cabin top sagging under mast, 31 bombay clipper

I have a 31 Bombay Clipper 30 yrs old. I have noticed the cabin sole under the mast is sagging. The boat has a compression post that is set ahead about 8 inches of the mast. I have read this problem is not uncommon for many boats. My proposed fix is to attach low on the compression post and build a truss like structure up to the cabin sole with an adjustable length that I can use to jack up the sole to my liking. This places a post under the mast and transfers all weight where it was designed to go. Does anyone foresee a problem with this? W
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Would drop the mast myself,if done with mast in place and tight standing rigging will be a test of unstoppable force meeting immovable object.marc
Old 04-24-2011

fordo is on a distinguished road
I suspect that the support under the compression post has failed in some way, possibly rotted. The compression post support is like the mast step on a keel stepped boat, subject to the same stresses. I would take out the post(mast off, of course), and find out what the problem is. I would not put anything adjustable in a permanent solution. It may "adjust" itself while you aren't looking... not a good thing in your rigging. Ford
Old 04-24-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I agree with fordo that there is something wrong with the compression post, probably at the bottom in the bilge. You need to find out what the problem is and fix it.
Old 04-24-2011

Maybe but I don't think so. The cabin has not deflected at the compression post but behind it. The sag is behind the post. Completely through the fiberglass top directly below the mast. If the sag was at the post I would be inclined to agree. However the post is set next to the salon/front birth wall and I can see there is nothing giving there. This boat is a new /old boat to me and this appears to be a chronic problem that has never been corrected. There may be some weak core beneath the mast but this boat is supposed to be coreless solid fiberglass lay up. I will drill and check. As long as the deck is not compressing I think I can release some tension from the rigging and raise the post incrementally. Repeating this process until things are back where they should be. Then a weld or pin can secure the height. Thanks, Not a Brystol repair for sure but good enough for an old Coonass from the oilfield.
Old 04-24-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

I think you will be seeing soemthing like this in the near future

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I note your post says the cabin sole is deflecting while the title says the cabin top. Which is it?
Old 04-25-2011

My mistake, cabin top
Old 04-25-2011

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Adobe,
When I was looking for a boat I found several models with deck stepped masts with the cabin top/deck sagging and in some cases fractured. Depending on the design, jacking up the compression post will not provide an adequate fix. In all probability the deck core is rotted and will have to be rebuilt (see Tommays photo). You may also have problems with a bulkhead. A complete inspection of the compression post footing is also required. Without repairing the underlying problem you might be setting yourself up for a catastrophic rig failure.
Good Luck
John
Old 04-26-2011

I completely agree. But what I dont understand is this. The cabin top is not sagging at the post. Everything is fine at the post. The sag is approximately 8 inches behind the post. This is where my mast actually sits. It is not directly above my post. I have removed a decorative cap at the post and cannot find any moisture and with vigorous probing with a screw driver am not finding any rot. I do not propose doing anything with the compression post as everything in that area seems perfect.
it appears to me the top after 30 yrs of handling the mast with minimal support has started sagging. My thought is to not adjust the compression post but leave it in place and use it to be the long base of a truss made of matching 2" stainless, attaching at the bottom of the post. rising at a diagonal over approx 6' and out 8" then turning back parallel to the compression post the last 10 " or so with an adjustable end. probably a heavy screw that can be backed out to apply upwards pressure counteracting the mast weight. the load is transferred though the truss back to the compression post which should have been designed to handle this anyway.
i do have some drilling to do at the sag point to check for core rot (i still believe there is no core, all literature I have seen states the deck is solid fiberglass) at the sag point. There is none at the post itself.
I'm not trying to be stubborn but outside of possible core rot ( I will determine this when the weather improves) no one has gotten through to me how this is a compression post failure. As there is not a problem at the post.
I appreciate the replies.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.