Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-25-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
$100.00 for an anchor swivel. Worth it?

Everything should be worth the effort on a boat. Does an anchor swivel earn its cost?

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
I personally don't use one as I haven't seen enough good reasons to convince me they are necessary and can be a weak point in your ground tackle (from what I have read). I remember reading recently about a recall of some swivels. Don't remember the make. Why do you think you need one? Do you have an all chain rode and anchor for long stretches at a time?
Old 04-25-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I'd stay away from a swivel in general. They are only there to provide convenience for when you haul the anchor in the try to keep the chain from twisting as the anchor gets dragged by water pressure. They are a weak link - the ground tackle is only as good as its weakest link, so the fewer the links the less opportunity for there to be a weak piece. If you walk around a working dock or marina and look at commercial vessels you'll see that they (generally) don't have swivels. I'd stay away from them. Is there a particular reason you're looking at getting one?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 04-25-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I'd stay away from a swivel in general. They are only there to provide convenience for when you haul the anchor in the try to keep the chain from twisting as the anchor gets dragged by water pressure. They are a weak link - the ground tackle is only as good as its weakest link, so the fewer the links the less opportunity for there to be a weak piece. If you walk around a working dock or marina and look at commercial vessels you'll see that they (generally) don't have swivels. I'd stay away from them. Is there a particular reason you're looking at getting one?
I agree that the swivel adds a potential point of failure, but really don't think that's a serious concern since the anchor is far more likely to drag than the swivel to fail.

I intend to get one for the convenience you mention. We sail with a two person crew and I'm the anchor hand while my wife helms the boat. Getting the anchor back aboard is among most frustrating regular occurences on our boat. Our Delta invariably arrives at the bow roller facing the wrong direction and its a dirty, sweaty dance to try and get it turned around and on to the roller. I'm usually covered in muck and in a fine humor by the time I get it stowed, which is no way to start the day.

I've tried dragging the anchor in the water with the boat in reverse which gets it pointing the right direction, but with our windlass, it aways manages to spin 180 degrees between the water surface and the roller so before I anchor out again, I'll have a swivel between the chain and the anchor.

For me, the reduction in hassle will be worth the trade off, as I maintain we're more likely to come to grief over a dragging anchor than the swivel parting, so I won't lose any additional sleep. YMMV.
Old 04-25-2011
winter crazy

Don0190 is on a distinguished road
Only you can decide the value of the $100

but my input is

get the swivel, just get a good one that isn't going to become the weak link of your anchor system
Old 04-25-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Found this on another board:

Important Recall on Anchor Swivels
by capnchuck » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:42 pm

We are not big fans of anchor swivels for a number of reasons, but many others use them on their boats. This recall was announced by Quickline. If you use one of these types of swivels please read the following;

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
November 4, 2010
Randy Boelsems
QuicklineUSA
randy@quickline.us
Rus Graham
Rushton Gregory Communications
603-868-1359
rgraham@rushtongregory.com
QUICKLINE RECALLS BOYUT MARINE ULTRA FLIP SWIVELS

Quality Marine Importer Recalls UFS8 Swivel Designed For Use With 1/4- and 5/16-inch Anchor Chains
Huntington Beach, Calif. – Quickline, a world-class importer of quality marine gear and accessory products, announced today a total recall of Boyut Marine-manufactured UFS8 Ultra Flip Swivels designed for use with 1/4-inch and 5/16-inch anchor chains.
Produced between June 2009 and October 2010, the UFS8 is easy to identify. All recalled units have a molded eagle on the side of the swivel. Non-recalled units, produced prior to June 2009 and after October 2010 have a smooth body and finish. All other Ultra Flip Swivels, the UFS6, UFS10, UFS13 and larger sizes are not affected by the recall.

“Simply put, the UFS8 swivels do not meet Quickline’s high quality standards and strength requirements,” said Randy Boelsems, president, Quickline USA. “Thus, we are replacing every unit that we have sold to our customers, as their satisfaction and safety are paramount.”

Customers who own the UFS8 Ultra Flip Swivel should stop use immediately and contact Quickline to arrange a replacement unit. Once received, defective swivels should be returned to Quickline using the packaging and Federal Express label provided with the replacement unit.

For more information or to request a replacement swivel, please contact Quickline at 714-843-6964.Waterway Cruising Guide | Home
Old 04-25-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I used to have a swivel, but I didn't keep it during an update in my ground tackle some years back and I dont miss it. When raising my anchor I've a boat hook handy to turn my anchor if it's not aligned to enter my anchor davit properly. It turns easy enough,- I'd think you might find a need to turn it even if you had a swivel. I understand the concern that someone would have if they were to accumulate enough turns on their all chain rode to have hackles in their chain, but I've never gained that many twists. My gypsy demands that the chain behave and any accumulated twisting spins out as my anchor rises from the bottom. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 04-26-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
I have not used a swivel. We have just decided to deface the bow of our boat with an anchor roller to make things a little easier for this senior sailor. I am wondering how useful the swivel is. We use 100' 1/4" of G4 and 250' of rode on our primary anchor which is a Rocna 15. The orientation of the anchor as it gets hauled has not been been a concern. Until now?

Down
Old 04-26-2011
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road
We use a heavy-duty swivel and it has made orienting the anchor properly on deck much easier. If the anchor is bot oriented properly and you use the windlass to pull it over the roller, the anchor tends to "jump". If it jumps out of the roller, you have a dangerously swinging anchor to deal with. The addition of the swivel stopped that. Make sure you use the red locktite on the screw connectors.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-26-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
use the red locktite on the screw connectors
Shouldn't all the screw fittings in your anchor tackle be moused with galvanised wire? And the mousing inspected regularly and replaced as necessary? I'd hate to think it was the anchor dragging, and find that it wasn't!

Quote:
"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones