Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Hyperjoe...
You've got a problem... 10 minutes really is far too long, and the exhaust pipe must be running far too hot. The stated cup or so every 45 seconds really is not enough.
Check your exhaust pipe temp under load.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2008

ritchell is on a distinguished road
Thinking about buying Pearson 32 with 5411 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryHoy View Post
Folks,

Have 5411 in Pearson 32 (1979). 1241 hours on the engine. (Actual running time is somewhat less since the ET meter runs when the key switch is on.) Operate in the Chesapeake Bay. My engine operates well at about 140 to 145 degrees. People who owned the boat before me have about twelve years experience with the boat. He maintained the temp in that range and was very careful with maintenance.

Tnx,

Barry
Barry,
I just looked at Pearson 32 (1980) and was impressed with the boat. I was surprised it only has an 11 hp (5411) engine. You have one. Tell me about your experience. Is it purely for getting out of the harbor or could you motor with it all day?
I'm not a mechanic and will have to trust the upkeep to a pro. Will use it on Lake Michigan.
Any thoughts or recommendations on the boat and engine are welcome.
Many thanks,
Herb
Old 05-13-2008

Edges is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Edges Send a message via Yahoo to Edges
5411 diesel cruising

Barry,
I just bought a Catalina 30. Sailed it from Sister Bay through Death's Door to Southeast WI. We did a 21 hour leg at 6.2 mph about 3/4 throttle and got over 18mpg. The engine used 6.9 gallons in 125 miles. The next run was 80 miles from Sheboygan to home. We ran 11.5 hours at full throttle (it has a governor) and went through about the same amount of fuel so the mileage was a lot less. The average speed was about 7.2 or 7.3 mph on that leg. Temperature of the motor was in the normal operating range probably about 140 degrees. or so.
Jim

Last edited by Edges; 05-13-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added a little info
Old 05-13-2008

fishboyneil is on a distinguished road

This has probably been addressed but just in case. Are you certain all the vanes are still on the raw water impellor and none of them have broken free and ended up in the jacket or other part of the cooling system. This could block some flow. They can be fished/flushed out but its a PIA.
Old 07-19-2008

tcross is on a distinguished road
overheating 5411

I am having trouble with my 5411 diesel overheating. It seeems to have stopped emitting water overboard and keeps recirculating the water that is in the engine. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2008

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Check the thermostat. If that is missing or has failed so it's wide open, it will not force water into the exhaust and the engine will overheat. Also check the water pump impeller and that the fitting admitting water into the exhaust is not plugged. One thing you can try is to use a pair of visegrips to squeeze the recirc hose and stop recirculation, forcing water into the exhaust. Also consider an acid flush if you have scale buildup in the engine passages.
Old 07-20-2008

SteveInMD is on a distinguished road
You can pull the seawater hoses off the engine at various points to isolate the blockage. For example, remove the seawater hose going into the heat exchanger and direct it into a bucket. Start the engine briefly and check the flow. If move to a point upstream and recheck if you don't have good flow, or downstream if you do.
Old 05-19-2009

Mfriedman2008 is on a distinguished road
Angry Introduction to the topic

Guys,
I'm so happy that I found this community and this discussion! I recently purchased Southern Cross 28 (with Universal 5411) and she was delivered from New London, CT to Chesapeake Bay, where I sail. Previously I had a boat with Yanmar and there's a lot of information on those, but very scarce on Universal.
I don't want to trust the yard mechanics because I had too much of a bad experience with these expensive and busy folks; I want to serve my engine myself. I found a manual on the Internet - 47 pages with very few pictures, and I also ordered a parts' manual from Torrensen Marina which looks like the only source for parts. However, some procedures you discuss - like flushing the engine with water or with some mix - are completely new to me. What would be the source of these procedures description, how do you find information? Another question: my engine doesn't have a tachometer and I don't feel comfortable without knowing the rpm (although we sailed the boat in New London and a temperature was in the right range).
So, how would you recommend me to extend my diesel education?
Thanks to everybody,
Mike
Old 05-19-2009

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Mike:

Good luck with your boat and the Universal 5411. You can download a parts manual from International Catalina 30 Association. You can always get parts direct from Westerbeke, but Torrensen is a good source and convenient. The engine is a Kubota Z-500 industrial engine that was marinized by Universal. Basic engine parts (non marine) can be bought much cheaper from a Kubota dealer. The cooling system on the 5411 is very similar to that on the Atomic 4. Lots of information on the web about acid flushing the A4 engine cooling system.
Old 05-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
I'v'e not seen it mentioned yet, but those of you with universal engines (kubota) do you have the oberdorfer pump that is driven by the crankshaft?
Heres what we had to do to get proper flow.

anti siphon valve (plastic) was defective and allowing gallons of water to not go through the injection elbow. Replace it with bronze

the cover plate on the pump MUST Have the the very thin paper gasket! homemade gaskets at too thick! the water will bypass around the impeller, even cause the pump to loose it's prime.

make very sure the heat ex is not clogged. (most can be taken apart)

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.