Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-07-2003

mrb2222 is on a distinguished road
Etching mast

I am going to paint my mast. It is painted now but I am going to remove the paint first. It is in bad shape. Do I need to etch the mast or can I prime it right away? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2003

BertV is on a distinguished road
Etching mast

Take a good look at the Interlux aluminum paint system. I used it about 12 years ago on a Islander 30 mast. It still looks good. I purchased another Islander 30 last fall and have done the same paint job again because I know it will last. It is difficult to apply with three different layers; an etching primer and then two or three layers of primer and then the finish coat. The information booklets that Interlux puts out are very informative. The paints are quite expensive but will last a lot longer than your average hardware aluminum paints. Most of the work is in the prep (as always!). Once the mast is down you might as well do it right.
Old 07-10-2003

namaste04 is on a distinguished road
Etching mast

Also look at Awlgrip''s system. We''re using this for our mast/boom repaint. Since the existing paint is sound in most places (except where abraded in a few spots and where it''s bubbled due to corrosion underneath from improperly bedded hardware) we aren''t going to strip the entire thing.

We''ve stripped all the hardware off, save one or two pieces, and will sand out the bad areas, etch and prime, then paint with awlgrip. From all my reading, it is VERY important to get the timing and materials right if you want the job to last. There are several good articles around by Don Casey, Practical Sailor (I think) etc. Do a web search and you should find them.

We will be doing this job next month. Right now we''re painting the deck: www.sailnamaste.com

Stacey
Old 07-11-2003

mrb2222 is on a distinguished road
Etching mast

Thanks for the help. Looks like I am going to use Interlux''s Viny-lux etching primer under their Yacht primer and Brightside for the top coats.