Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-01-2011

ltyeudall is on a distinguished road
motor keeps running after key is turned off

After replacing the gaskets on a 1980 OMC Zephyr motor and exhaust tower we must have made a mistake on reconnecting some wires as the engine after starting would not stop when the ignition/starter key was turned off - had to pull the plug wires off to stop it. Although we had labeled all wires that had been disconnected we must have made a mistake on reconnection. As the boat was off island some time had elapsed between the time the wires were reconnected and the engine first started, hence remembering what may have been mis-connected is an issue.

Not having a wiring diagram for the motor and before we start to trouble shoot I am hoping that someone might know what we did wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2011

Osbellnet is on a distinguished road
Smile Have the wiring diagram

Hello,

I have the wiring diagram. I'm also looking for a good Gear Box Housing as mine has a small hold and needs replacing. If you know of a place to buy, please let me know.

Thanks.

Oscar
Old 05-03-2011

timangiel is on a distinguished road
You may not have actually crossed anything, one of the connections may just be a bad connection. If you go to this website: documents
You can download the service manual and there is a section on the ignition circuit and testing the keyswitch. When you turn off the key it is suppose to ground out part of the ignition circuit so you stop getting spark. This is obviously not happening for you.

Also, if your motor wont stop, you may want to consider shutting off the gas with the shutoff valve near the tank(if you have one) or choking the engine rather than pulling off a plug wire.
Old 05-03-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
This is always fun as on and inboard gas motor like and A4 when the alternator is excited by the purple ignition wire if the alternator diodes fail it can feed back and keep the motor ON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.