Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: single vs continuous line furling

I use a continuous line furler on my Catalina 27. We regularly sail in winds up to 40 knots and use it for reefing all the time. Never had a slip and it works great for reefing.

Only issue I have ever had was when I had a lot of sail out and the wind suddenly picked up (maybe from 25 to 40). I could not reef the sail due to the force on the sail. No matter how hard I pulled the line, nothing happened. I finally had to go forward and lay at the base of the unit and pull there. Then it worked, but was still hard.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Kemah, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2013

mr-canada is on a distinguished road

Did you check for halyard wrap at the top of the stay?

Only problems I've ever had furling or unfurling have been when the halyard wrapped around the stay. A very dangerous situation, eventually it weakened the stay until it snapped (luckily at the dock). I got a halyard restrainer/deflector installed and now wrap is a nonissue
Old 07-12-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
I disagree with all of you. ...
^^^^^^^^
I like this guy already. Welcome to SailNet!

Any chance of posting some pictures of your setup and letting us know what you used for "a wheel" at the aft end of the system? Sounds like a nice setup and your use of two cam cleats is a "forehead smacking" (why didn't I think of that?) idea! I'm planning on doing a home-made continuous line furler for my drifter/A-sail and could use some visual tips, so if you can post some photos or a diagram that would be great.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-12-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I've got the same unit as mr-canada and other than a particulary stiff hard pull to furl and unfurl it works as advertised. The stiffness is more a matter of it being 26 years old and needing a good flush (you don't lube it). I will be replacing all the original guide blocks - a couple actually had flat spots.

I have two cleats on deck to lock the lines when I want to reef, never had a slip.

Having had both I think I'll stick with the continuous line - if it jams I can hand furl. If a single line furler jams (overwrap in the drum) you have to drop the sail, take the drum apart and rewrap. You can also run out of line on the drum before you run out of sail to furl. That can't happen on a continuous line.
Old 07-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
^^^^^^^^
Sounds like a nice setup and your use of two cam cleats is a "forehead smacking" (why didn't I think of that?) idea! I'm planning on doing a home-made continuous line furler for my drifter/A-sail and could use some visual tips, so if you can post some photos or a diagram that would be great.

MedSailor
Selden is out with a fiddle block with dual cams designed for continuous line systems that's pretty slick...

deniseO30 and MedSailor like this.
Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
^^^^^^^^
I like this guy already. Welcome to SailNet!

Any chance of posting some pictures of your setup and letting us know what you used for "a wheel" at the aft end of the system? Sounds like a nice setup and your use of two cam cleats is a "forehead smacking" (why didn't I think of that?) idea!
Lol thanks for the kudos. To reiterate I have two clamcleats not cam cleats. I dont think it would make any difference either way performance wise.

Basically it's the stock system shipped by hood plus two clamcleats on the deck, plus a closed-type mounted deck wheel (I'm not sure what those are called).

The loop goes through the teeth on the furler. There is a separator with two small rollers that the furling line goes through attached to the stanchion at the deck. A few stanchions later thers is a ring that the line feeds through also attached to the stanchion, then a few more and another separator with the two small rollers. From there it goes along the toerail at the cockpit with each side of the loop on either side of the winches (I have a self tailing winch and a regular one), then there's the two clamcleats facing in either directions so I can snap the furling line in there if I need to hold it fast. After the clamcleats there is a wheel bolted to the deck on the toerail almost all the way to the stern of the cockpit where the line feeds through, with just enough tension to keep the whole assembly from flopping around but loose enough to let the furling line be pulled out a four or five inches while pulling in either direction.

I dont have a series of photos of just the furler and given that there are 16 lines/sheets run aft making sense of the pictures would probably be more difficult than just explaining it. I didnt set it up myself, the boat was tweaked out by a guy who works for America's Cup now tweaking race boats.
Old 07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Selden is out with a fiddle block with dual cams designed for continuous line systems that's pretty slick...
I would take my rig over that any day - if you aren't short space on the aft cockpit rail. That line flopping around would drive me nuts... I have enough already ;-)
Old 08-24-2013

Someone asked for a picture of how the aft end of my hood 705 is rigged. Note the two clamcleats going in either direction for reefing. Ignore the black bungee heading off the winch, thats just to keep me and my slipmates boats from banging against the dock. The portrait pic shows the guides that came with the system on the stanchions.
Attached Thumbnails
single vs continuous line furling-img_00000012.jpg   single vs continuous line furling-img_00000013.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Eventually the teeth on the Hood drum wear down, and then they won't stay reefed no matter how the lines are cleated. The reefing depends on soft aluminum teeth to dig into the furling line.

The current higher end Hood furler is similar to a Harken Mk IV. You can get it for a good price (half the cost of a Harken) when replacing a Hood continous line furler. The upgrade on my Pearson 28-2 was really worthwhile.
Old 08-24-2013

mikeysail29 is on a distinguished road

I did the same upgrade to a single line Hood furler on my Pearson 28-2 as Alex W. It was definitely worth it. While I'm sure you can fiddle around with the continuous line system to get it to work OK, in my experience you are much better off with a single line system. You are less likely to have problems furling when you REALLY need to furl.