SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Advice, article or procedure on painting bootstripe? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/74087-advice-article-procedure-painting-bootstripe.html)

needabiggerboat 05-02-2011 01:03 PM

Advice, article or procedure on painting bootstripe?

I have a 30' C&C and I need to do the bottom and the bootstripe. Boat is fiberglass.

I did the bottom last year and am pretty comfortable with that, in fact I have already sanded.

The bootstripe is new to me. Looks like this, if you can visualize -

hull
3" wide blue band
1" wide white band
bottom

So I know I'm on the hook for a gallon of bottom paint, a quart of blue paint and a quart of white paint.

I am planning on sanding the blue area and the white area simultaneously this evening, but after that I'm unsure how to proceed.

1. Do I need to prime both the white and blue stripes, and if so, can I use the same primer?

2. My thought was, after priming, first tape off the hull and white stripe to paint the blue one, then after that dries tape off the blue stripe and the bottom and paint the white one, then after that dries tapes off the white stripe and do the bottom. Will that work?

Any advice, suggestions, or links to articles would be greatly appreciated - as you know it's a dirty, expensive job I only want to do once.

Thanks!

tommays 05-02-2011 01:13 PM

What kind of paint as two part while better will make it more complex

Big issue is the paint bleeding under the tape as well as taking it off at just the right time as it cant be to soon or to late :)

needabiggerboat 05-02-2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 726075)
What kind of paint as two part while better will make it more complex

Big issue is the paint bleeding under the tape as well as taking it off at just the right time as it cant be to soon or to late :)

I was going to take the advice of the guys at the paint store, they haven't steered me wrong before. So, short answer, I don't know.

JimsCAL 05-02-2011 05:52 PM

Don't think the order is particularly important, but don't see how you can do both the blue and white simultaneously. You'll need to let one dry before you and tape the second. As for the paint, a decent oil-based enamel is OK. Better is a single part polyurethane like Pettit Easypoxy, and best would be a two part polyurethane like Awlgrip. I would go with the single part polyurethane.

I am assuming the current bootstripe is painted and needs renewal. On many boats (like mine) the bootstrip is colored gelcoat and just needs polishing and waxing each spring.

needabiggerboat 05-03-2011 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsCAL (Post 726161)
Don't think the order is particularly important, but don't see how you can do both the blue and white simultaneously. You'll need to let one dry before you and tape the second. As for the paint, a decent oil-based enamel is OK. Better is a single part polyurethane like Pettit Easypoxy, and best would be a two part polyurethane like Awlgrip. I would go with the single part polyurethane.

I am assuming the current bootstripe is painted and needs renewal. On many boats (like mine) the bootstrip is colored gelcoat and just needs polishing and waxing each spring.

Thanks! Sanded last night and if the weather holds am going to paint this evening. Going to use the Pettit you recommended. Do you know if one quart will cover what I compute to be about 30 sq. ft.?

Flybyknight 05-03-2011 10:02 PM

To address Tommays concern about paint bleeding under masking tape; we have found that vinyl electricians tape (the stuff that comes in a black roll) is far superior to the blue paper masking tape sold for that purpose.

Dick

JimsCAL 05-04-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needabiggerboat (Post 726394)
Thanks! Sanded last night and if the weather holds am going to paint this evening. Going to use the Pettit you recommended. Do you know if one quart will cover what I compute to be about 30 sq. ft.?

A quart should be more than enough for doing the bootstripe. You are going to like the Pettit Easypoxy. Easy to apply, very durable, and high gloss. Worth the few $ more than normal enamel.

Sailormon6 05-04-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flybyknight (Post 726644)
To address Tommays concern about paint bleeding under masking tape; we have found that vinyl electricians tape (the stuff that comes in a black roll) is far superior to the blue paper masking tape sold for that purpose.

Dick

Or, you can get mylar masking tape from a specialty store that sells paint and supplies to auto body shops. It provides a sharp, clean edge, leaves no residue, and can be stretched enough to follow a curved line.

needabiggerboat 05-04-2011 12:55 PM

Well, goofed that up - should have done the bottom paint first! Live and learn. Any suggestion on how to get a clean edge on the bottom of the bootstripe now? Have yet to paint the bottom.

zz4gta 05-04-2011 01:19 PM

Tape? If you're looking to remove sloppy paint, then sand it off the 'overspray', CLEAN the surface, and repaint.