Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-02-2011

needabiggerboat is on a distinguished road
Advice, article or procedure on painting bootstripe?

I have a 30' C&C and I need to do the bottom and the bootstripe. Boat is fiberglass.

I did the bottom last year and am pretty comfortable with that, in fact I have already sanded.

The bootstripe is new to me. Looks like this, if you can visualize -

hull
3" wide blue band
1" wide white band
bottom

So I know I'm on the hook for a gallon of bottom paint, a quart of blue paint and a quart of white paint.

I am planning on sanding the blue area and the white area simultaneously this evening, but after that I'm unsure how to proceed.

1. Do I need to prime both the white and blue stripes, and if so, can I use the same primer?

2. My thought was, after priming, first tape off the hull and white stripe to paint the blue one, then after that dries tape off the blue stripe and the bottom and paint the white one, then after that dries tapes off the white stripe and do the bottom. Will that work?

Any advice, suggestions, or links to articles would be greatly appreciated - as you know it's a dirty, expensive job I only want to do once.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
What kind of paint as two part while better will make it more complex

Big issue is the paint bleeding under the tape as well as taking it off at just the right time as it cant be to soon or to late

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
What kind of paint as two part while better will make it more complex

Big issue is the paint bleeding under the tape as well as taking it off at just the right time as it cant be to soon or to late
I was going to take the advice of the guys at the paint store, they haven't steered me wrong before. So, short answer, I don't know.
Old 05-02-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Don't think the order is particularly important, but don't see how you can do both the blue and white simultaneously. You'll need to let one dry before you and tape the second. As for the paint, a decent oil-based enamel is OK. Better is a single part polyurethane like Pettit Easypoxy, and best would be a two part polyurethane like Awlgrip. I would go with the single part polyurethane.

I am assuming the current bootstripe is painted and needs renewal. On many boats (like mine) the bootstrip is colored gelcoat and just needs polishing and waxing each spring.
Old 05-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
Don't think the order is particularly important, but don't see how you can do both the blue and white simultaneously. You'll need to let one dry before you and tape the second. As for the paint, a decent oil-based enamel is OK. Better is a single part polyurethane like Pettit Easypoxy, and best would be a two part polyurethane like Awlgrip. I would go with the single part polyurethane.

I am assuming the current bootstripe is painted and needs renewal. On many boats (like mine) the bootstrip is colored gelcoat and just needs polishing and waxing each spring.
Thanks! Sanded last night and if the weather holds am going to paint this evening. Going to use the Pettit you recommended. Do you know if one quart will cover what I compute to be about 30 sq. ft.?
Old 05-03-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
To address Tommays concern about paint bleeding under masking tape; we have found that vinyl electricians tape (the stuff that comes in a black roll) is far superior to the blue paper masking tape sold for that purpose.

Dick
Old 05-04-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by needabiggerboat View Post
Thanks! Sanded last night and if the weather holds am going to paint this evening. Going to use the Pettit you recommended. Do you know if one quart will cover what I compute to be about 30 sq. ft.?
A quart should be more than enough for doing the bootstripe. You are going to like the Pettit Easypoxy. Easy to apply, very durable, and high gloss. Worth the few $ more than normal enamel.
Old 05-04-2011

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybyknight View Post
To address Tommays concern about paint bleeding under masking tape; we have found that vinyl electricians tape (the stuff that comes in a black roll) is far superior to the blue paper masking tape sold for that purpose.

Dick
Or, you can get mylar masking tape from a specialty store that sells paint and supplies to auto body shops. It provides a sharp, clean edge, leaves no residue, and can be stretched enough to follow a curved line.
Old 05-04-2011

Well, goofed that up - should have done the bottom paint first! Live and learn. Any suggestion on how to get a clean edge on the bottom of the bootstripe now? Have yet to paint the bottom.
Old 05-04-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Tape? If you're looking to remove sloppy paint, then sand it off the 'overspray', CLEAN the surface, and repaint.